Blues

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Saw they posted a picture of a light at the end of a tunnel. Is there a chance of them staying in Liiga next year?

No. They haven't found new owner and they have debts almost 4 million euros.
The story of Espoo Blues FEL team is totally over.

That's very sad because Espoo Blues has best junior program in Finland
And their juniors are produced a lot NCAA players.

Espoo Blues defenceman prospect Urho Vaakanainen is one Finnish TOP prospects in 2017 NHL draft.
Also USHL player Eeli Tolvanen is former blues junior.

Season 2013-2014 Tolvanen scored 43 goals and 76 points in Espoo Blues C juniors ( U16) team).
And season 2014-2015 Tolvanen scored 39 goals and 84 points in Espoo Blues B juniors ( U18 team) Tolvanen is also draft eligible in NHL 2017.

Last edited:

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
Hi,

There are some news about it? When is the deadline for offering the guarantees for the next season (if such)?

I know that usually, the season schedule is released at the start of May, reason for which I'm asking.

If they can't provide anything, will play in Mestis, Soumi-Sarja, lower or will completely fold?

Rhyagelle

Apr 17, 2013
blues as we know it is dead. FEL team will not be revived.

salonoja has been talking about creating a new team with fresh start to Mestis or Suomi-sarja, but it probably wont be called blues and it might not happen for next season.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
blues as we know it is dead. FEL team will not be revived.

salonoja has been talking about creating a new team with fresh start to Mestis or Suomi-sarja, but it probably wont be called blues and it might not happen for next season.

Thanks for the reply, even if it's a pity. A couple of days ago, I was wearing a t-shirt that I bought it two season ago from their shop, and it has this printed message: 'Believe and never give up'... apparently this is not their case.

Rhyagelle

Apr 17, 2013
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/mestis/art-2000001168126.html

tl;dr; or didnt understand;-version.

salonoja's new team will apply for mestis/suomisarja license.
there is no contract about junior path with Blues Juniors yet, but hes feeling confident.

apparently there have been multiple parties aiming to create a new Mestis team for espoo, so salonoja might have competition for the license.

well. good for espoo. too bad the reasons i followed their team have already moved on.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
"Espoo United"(backed by Salonoja) has been granted a Mestis license. I expect them to push for a Liiga spot within the next few seasons, and there are murmurs of some fairly high-profile signings for next season.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
"Espoo United"(backed by Salonoja) has been granted a Mestis license. I expect them to push for a Liiga spot within the next few seasons, and there are murmurs of some fairly high-profile signings for next season.

I will not be attending their games if they really go for this embarrassing and completely new name which oozes inferiority complex and Anglophilia.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I will not be attending their games if they really go for this embarrassing and completely new name which oozes inferiority complex and Anglophilia.

From where I'm standing it doesn't seem that different from "Blues". Completely non-native and very neutral. I guess they didn't want to pay for the rights to the old brand(s), and I can also see how they might figure a rebrand could be a better business decision. Ultimately I don't think the branding is all that relevant though, it'll be the on-ice product that draws the crowds. It'll hurt for some of the hard-core supporters, but if there's good hockey being played, many of them will find their way to the arena.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Guys, until the name is official ignore all speculation about it.

Task of bankrupcy nest is to get money for everything they can, including name (seller)
Task of new team, is to pay as little as possible for bits they want (buyer)

Economics 101, say you are making team with new name - seller drops price.
Fans demanding old name drive price up.

Obviously, Jussi doesn't want to pay more, but as little as possible. Seeing 60% of debts are to him, everything he pays for finances the losses of the guys who cheated him out of money.

I'll gladly sing Glory glory Espoo United if it means we have a team.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Why jatkoaika lists it as blues in boards section? Did they get the old name?

Kiekko-espoo wouldn't be that bad name. I was kid when I went to Jokerit - Kiekko espoo game in brad new Hartwall arena. That was fantastic experience.

Jokerit Wasp

Mar 8, 2004
Espoo UNITED??? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

If that's true, that will be the worst name I can ever think of a hockey team having!

Ajax84

May 23, 2016
Tapiola? Now that would be a way to alienate over 90% of the population.

It's their neighborhood and sounds nice (and has a nice mythological connection), but I'll admit not knowing much about Espoo's dynamics. It doesn't seem that Djurgardens alienates 95% of Stockholm.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
It's their neighborhood and sounds nice (and has a nice mythological connection), but I'll admit not knowing much about Espoo's dynamics. It doesn't seem that Djurgardens alienates 95% of Stockholm.

There are five urban centers and Tapiola is just one of them. Coming from the Greater Espoonlahti area myself, rooting for a team with "Tapiola" in the name would be weird. The "Espoo" part in the name is not the issue here, the "United" part is. It's a hideous name and more appropriate for a soccer team.

Ajax84

May 23, 2016
The "Espoo" part in the name is not the issue here, the "United" part is. It's a hideous name...

Oh, I'm not disagreeing there. Pretty much anything is better than wannabe-English/American names. ("Blues" isn't much better in this regard).

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Oh, I'm not disagreeing there. Pretty much anything is better than wannabe-English/American names. ("Blues" isn't much better in this regard).

Yep. I would prefer them to be named Kiekko-Espoo again but Blues is at least somewhat tolerable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad