Blues woes continue as teams spirals out of control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
You can downgrade the St. Louis Blues’ condition from frustratingly mediocre to full-blown slump.

The Blues, killed once again by lethargic play and poor chemistry, lost a 6-1 decision to the Ottawa Senators at Scotiabank Place last night. The team has now lost four in a row and has just three wins in their last ten games (3-6-1).

"We're in a slump, no question," said team captain, Chris Pronger. "We lost in all facets of the game. It's a tough loss, but we have to just keep plugging away."

While the Blues top-HAT line of Dany Heatley, Joe Thornton and Daniel Alfredsson has been neutralized too often of late, what has made matters worse is at the same time the 2nd and 3rd lines have been consistently victimized – giving up multiple goals per game at even strength.

“Its unacceptable.†said coach Marc Crawford after the game.

“We need a more consistent effort and clearly the adjustments we’ve made to our team have disrupted our chemistry.â€

Looking for a way to shake up the Blues moribund offence, Crawford has decided to shuffle his lines tonight against the Los Angeles Kings, with Alfredsson being moved onto a new line alongside Vincent Lecavalier and veteran Steve Yzerman. Scott Walker will move up alongside Thornton and Heatley, while Peter Schaefer, just returning from injury, will join Craig Conroy and Mike Grier on the checking line.

Sergei Samsonov, struggling since his arrival in St. Louis, has been relegated to the 4th line alongside Tyler Wright and Jarkko Ruutu.

“I don’t think I should be blamed for our playâ€, said a subdued Samsonov. “I just want to contribute and I don’t think I’ve been given a fair opportunity here.â€

With the return of Schaefer, the Blues are now completely healthy for the first time in several weeks. With Schaefer’s return, Peter Sejna was sent back down to Worcester to join recent domotees Chuck Kobasew, Curtis Leschyshyn, Nolan Baumgartner and Mark Cullen back in the minors.

While rumours have circulated that Kobasew was upset with the demotion after having spent the majority of the season in St. Louis, Crawford claimed the youngster was looking forward to getting some additional ice-time. Kobasew had been pointless in all 34 games played this season, albeit he saw limited ice-time in all of those games.

After catching the red-eye to Los Angeles from Ottawa, the Blues will then head home to face the Montreal Canadians, in what is an extremely difficult three games in three nights venture back and forth across the continent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad