Half-Assed GDT: Blues @ Wild -- Half Assed Streaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
The GDTs when he plays can be really frustrating, reading over and over again "Husso sucks" every time he lets in a goal when the response to Binnington letting in the exact same goal would be "Well, he's kept us in the game so far". Husso made some really great saves last night that literally kept us in the game. There wasn't much he (or any goalie) could do on the first two goals. The 3rd and 4th goals I felt like he was off his angle a bit (3rd) and too deep in his net (4th) and you can see that he is still struggling a bit with his glove positioning, but the Wild had good pressure and got us on our heels late in the game so they were getting some good looks, too. There is plenty there to like about Husso's game, but he is going to have to work on a couple of things if he is going to keep the job next season.

Fiala's one timer to the top corner was an absolute snipe that no goaltender really would have saved.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
The GDTs when he plays can be really frustrating, reading over and over again "Husso sucks" every time he lets in a goal when the response to Binnington letting in the exact same goal would be "Well, he's kept us in the game so far". Husso made some really great saves last night that literally kept us in the game. There wasn't much he (or any goalie) could do on the first two goals. The 3rd and 4th goals I felt like he was off his angle a bit (3rd) and too deep in his net (4th) and you can see that he is still struggling a bit with his glove positioning, but the Wild had good pressure and got us on our heels late in the game so they were getting some good looks, too. There is plenty there to like about Husso's game, but he is going to have to work on a couple of things if he is going to keep the job next season.
Agreed.

I was a little harsh when I said he sucks. He had some very good saves in tight. The toe save on Fialo was one and then he had a snowman like save when the Wild were banging around the net. He seems to get beat on the longer range shots at key moments. Not sure how much is positioning, glove work, screening, or just an elite shot that is hard to stop

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Binnington has earned the right to be given leeway, Husso has earned the right to be critiqued and nothing more. You say the first 2 goals there wasn't much of anything any goalie could do but then you specifically call out his poor positioning and glove hand. That's the entire point we're making. He has poor positioning and a poor glove hand. 3 of the 4 goals beat him glove side, like what the f***? The 4th goal he was not only on the goal line but also in the middle of the net when the shot was coming from an angle, shit poor positioning.

Agreed.

I was a little harsh when I said he sucks. He had some very good saves in tight. The toe save on Fialo was one and then he had a snowman like save when the Wild were banging around the net. He seems to get beat on the longer range shots at key moments. Not sure how much is positioning, glove work, screening, or just an elite shot that is hard to stop

The first goal was a great play and a great shot but realistically it should have been saved if he was on top of the crease and had even an average glove. The guy makes great saves for sure but he has a bad glove and when you combine that with playing to deep in the net you create your own problems. These are things that can be fixed but who knows how long that will take.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Binnington has earned the right to be given leeway, Husso has earned the right to be critiqued and nothing more...
This is exactly the kind of analysis that proves the presence of bias and the absence of objectivity. You are literally saying that it is OK for one goalie to let in a goal that it is not OK for the other to do so. There are always contributing factors, but "what have you done for me lately" isn't one of them. The name and number on the back shouldn't matter when analyzing how much blame goes on the goalie.

Reactions: stl76 and GoBluz24

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
This is exactly the kind of analysis that proves the presence of bias and the absence of objectivity. You are literally saying that it is OK for one goalie to let in a goal that it is not OK for the other to do so. There are always contributing factors, but "what have you done for me lately" isn't one of them. The name and number on the back shouldn't matter when analyzing how much blame goes on the goalie.

That's like saying on Saturday when ROR had a defensive gaff that led to the Avs scoring and going up 2-0 that he should be under just as much scrutiny as a rookie that did the same thing. The biggest issue with goalies is mental and Binnington has proven he's as tough as they come mentally so when he gives up a shitty goal people aren't worried he's going to have a f***ing meltdown Allen style. Husso on the other hand, let's just say it's not looking good.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I couldn't be much happier with last night's game. Don't like to see us allow 3 in the 3rd, but I don't see that happening with Binner in net. At the end of the day, we took 2 points in a night where we gave our workhorse a night off.

5 points up with 2 games in hand on Arizona and 7 points up with 1 game in hand on SJ. Playoff chances up to 95% at Moneypuck and we'll be at about 97.5% on SportsClubStats when they update to include last night's games. They don't ask how and these 2 points give us a strangle hold on the playoffs.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Perron back to a point per game, RoR has 47 in 48. Mike Hoffman has snuck into 3rd on the team with 32 points in 44 after having 11 points in 8 games since being scratched before the trade Deadline. Kyrou has broke the 30 point marker for the first time in his young Career after back to back 2 point games.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Probably a good comp. He was another guy who turned out after initial flash to not actually be an nhl defenseman.
biggest difference.. wasn't Petteri something like 6'-ish..prolly 5'10"... and Mikkola is 6'4".. that reach.. and he already skates better than Petteri did.. better hands too... I really think (hope?) with some work he'll grow into being a good one.. if not.. hello Tyler Tucker!

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Faulk showing how to leave alone hot scorer and Calder winner at last minute of 3rd period.

All-star defensive play by Faulk.:clap:

Yet again Faulk caught no man's land. Hockey IQ 0.

actually winger in the faceoff area (away from the slot) should be picked up by the d-winger/center

actually watching it, you could see Faulk was marking the guy in the slot but noticed Kaprizov there, but couldn't get to him since he was in the crease area

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
biggest difference.. wasn't Petteri something like 6'-ish..prolly 5'10"... and Mikkola is 6'4".. that reach.. and he already skates better than Petteri did.. better hands too... I really think (hope?) with some work he'll grow into being a good one.. if not.. hello Tyler Tucker!

Born: September 23, 1993 (age 27 years), Helsinki, Finland
Height: 6′ 3″
Weight: 209 lbs

Reactions: Blueston

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
People critiquing Husso's play are apparently ignoring, well, everything else. They must be lifelong terrible HS-level defensemen
yeah.. Husso def needs to work on the oversliding/positioning thing.. he takes himself out of prime position too often.. and the glove needs to be better..

that being said... some of those last night were ABSOLUTE snipes... no one's getting those unless the guys shooting yells "high glove side" before he shoots... and ... most guys don't yell that.. cause..you know..

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
No, I'm pretty sure it's true.

marty-feldman.jpg
is the Husso's team pic? who's sweater is he wearing? that the new 3rds? nice...

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
actually winger in the faceoff area (away from the slot) should be picked up by the d-winger/center

actually watching it, you could see Faulk was marking the guy in the slot but noticed Kaprizov there, but couldn't get to him since he was in the crease area
Well it was smart to left alone most dangerous player in the slot. Not that there was forwards what Faulk should have hold at crease?

I think this tells where is his level of hockey IQ. Close cap and take away your man. Now he just screened goaltender and let most dangerous goal scorer alone. Even be position where you can reach with defensive stick to prevent shot.

This wasnt first time Faulk get caught no man's land.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
No that’s Lindbohm. He also had size.
Lindbohm is 191cm and Mikkola 196cm. And there is difference how they played + skill wise + skating.

Ppl trying to trigger me. And failing big time. Blaming Husso is also funny.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Well it was smart to left alone most dangerous player in the slot. Not that there was forwards what Faulk should have hold at crease?

I think this tells where is his level of hockey IQ. Close cap and take away your man. Now he just screened goaltender and let most dangerous goal scorer alone. Even be position where you can reach with defensive stick to prevent shot.

This wasnt first time Faulk get caught no man's land.

my point is, bark at the center if ya wanna bark... not the guy that was caught between covering 2 people

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
my point is, bark at the center if ya wanna bark... not the guy that was caught between covering 2 people
It was at first Faulk's man. Good forward will found space. Kaprizov was left alone few seconds, but good dmen would have understand small nuances of game and what it means.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Or Sanford could just rim the puck around 15 seconds beforehand, instead of turtling and letting two or three Wild forecheckers collapse on him along the boards. I'd take an icing there over the crap that Sanford did instead.

Reactions: MissouriMook

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO

Mikkola's 25, he's pretty likely finished improving his game, or at least improving it to anything appreciably better than what he currently is.

Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad