GDT: Blues vs. the only team they play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Good road win! The Blues are much better on the road so far this season. Kyrou, Faulk, and Hoffman continue to get better. Sundqvist is giving his all as usual. I hope Barbashev is going into one of his hot streaks. Husso has his 2nd game in a row giving up a poor concentration-not ready goal, early, and then playing well the rest of the game. His fundamentals look okay. So, I have faith that he'll be an adequate backup. Blues 9-4. Not bad, given all the injuries.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Is Scott Warman sleep deprived or high? The squinty eyed look isn’t something I noticed till the last few games.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Gunnar is done as an NHL defender, I've always really appreciated his detail oriented style of play but it's time to put Mikkola back in and leave him there until Scandella gets back at the very least.
Totally agree. He’s old and slow, just can’t keep up and when he has the puck on his stick he can’t do much with it.

Just sit him in the press box until his contract expires this Summer. We need Scandella or Mikkola back in there.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m watching the game late. A few thoughts as I watch the 2nd period.

Arizona doesn’t have the same quality of depth as St Louis. They lost Hjarlmerson (sp) and Larssen and you can see a drop off for sure. Meanwhile, I’ve lost count who’s out for the Blues and they bring in players who don’t look out of place.

Husso isn’t good right now. Feels pretty shaky. Hopefully he can settle down and show to be a solid back-up caliber guy. But right now the Blues can least afford an injury to Binnington more than any other player on this team.

I expected a feistier game, but the Coyotes look like they’d rather not be here. The Blues look more workmanlike. I think the practices this past week helped a lot. I’m seeing a lot better puck movement in the offensive zone, better pinches by the defensemen, and more traffic at the net at the time of the shot. But to me, Coyotes don’t much look like they want to be here. Maybe this is what happens when you have a series, but no one is threatened with elimination and there’s almost no crowd.

Parayko still looks dinged up, but Gunnarsson looks like his legs are finished.

The ice looks pretty bad. So many players falling all over the place tonight.

Meh, I had some more thoughts, but I’m getting tired now and can’t remember anything.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I’m watching the game late. A few thoughts as I watch the 2nd period.

Arizona doesn’t have the same quality of depth as St Louis. They lost Hjarlmerson (sp) and Larssen and you can see a drop off for sure. Meanwhile, I’ve lost count who’s out for the Blues and they bring in players who don’t look out of place.

Husso isn’t good right now. Feels pretty shaky. Hopefully he can settle down and show to be a solid back-up caliber guy. But right now the Blues can least afford an injury to Binnington more than any other player on this team.

I expected a feistier game, but the Coyotes look like they’d rather not be here. The Blues look more workmanlike. I think the practices this past week helped a lot. I’m seeing a lot better puck movement in the offensive zone, better pinches by the defensemen, and more traffic at the net at the time of the shot. But to me, Coyotes don’t much look like they want to be here. Maybe this is what happens when you have a series, but no one is threatened with elimination and there’s almost no crowd.

Parayko still looks dinged up, but Gunnarsson looks like his legs are finished.

The ice looks pretty bad. So many players falling all over the place tonight.

Meh, I had some more thoughts, but I’m getting tired now and can’t remember anything.

I thought the Coyotes almost looked like they gave up in OT, they kept turning the puck over and spent nearly the whole OT in their own end. Garland was everywhere tonight and almost singlehandedly willed the Coyotes to a point, but they didn't get a lot from most of their team. The Blues made some mistakes, but you are right that they worked much harder and made things happen by keeping the pressure on.

The Blues 4th line was great again and set the tone by scoring the first goal. JDLR continues to impress and so does Clifford. It's huge that Berube has a 4th line that can play 7-10 solid minutes at both ends of the ice. I was expecting Clifford to be more of a slow, Maroon type but he actually seems like he's one of our faster skaters and always where he should be for the quick wrister. I look forward to seeing more De la Rose as well, which is something I never expected I'd say.

Poganski didn't play much, but his screen made the Sanford goal possible. He didn't look out of place at all, and the few times I noticed him he was making the right play.

I didn't think Husso played badly, but there were a few awkward moments. Perhaps he could have stopped the first goal, but it never should have happened to begin with. Otherwise I thought he did his job the rest of the game. I'd say he played better than Raanta, at least.

All in all, that was a fun game to watch and I look forward to an epic game 7 showdown!

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
I was thinking to myself early into the second period, "we're finally seeing some Blues hockey."

It was a game I never thought we were done when we let up a goal, or lost the lead.

Husso played better...too much lateral movement, not as bad as Shaky Jakey was for us prior to Binnington, but too much of a style from a by-gone era of hockey (see Brodeur and Roy). I think with time we will see the movement issues calm down and the concentration on shots won't be as difficult.

I am really enjoying the depth of the team, I don't feel worried when I don't even realize who is out with an injury, this team just keeps on coming back and getting to work.

So many people falling down: out of my 7 years in PHX the only rink that had good ice was a horrible rink that no longer exists, none of the "NHL caliber" rinks in PHX have good ice.

I'm ready for Mikkola to be back and learn, but get his upsides right now.

The forth line is truly enjoyable, scoring goals, doing their job on the PK, good stuff. MacMac, JDLR, and Cliff have really shown they can play the hockey that will help this team (fully agree with @Reality Czech).

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I was thinking to myself early into the second period, "we're finally seeing some Blues hockey."

So many people falling down: out of my 7 years in PHX the only rink that had good ice was a horrible rink that no longer exists, none of the "NHL caliber" rinks in PHX have good ice.

I'm ready for Mikkola to be back and learn, but get his upsides right now.

The forth line is truly enjoyable, scoring goals, doing their job on the PK, good stuff. MacMac, JDLR, and Cliff have really shown they can play the hockey that will help this team (fully agree with @Reality Czech).
Yes the ice was bad but so many people were falling down because the coyotes flop all over the place!

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
This game was why I'm not worried about the Coyotes at all in the playoffs. The refs finally let them play and the Coyotes looked overmatched. You can't win in the playoffs with a bunch of 5' 10" 180 pound guys......it's nice to have speed and shiftyness, but you have to supplement it with other things as well.....Coyotes will just get outworked and outmuscled in a playoff series. That said, I've really had my eye on Chycryn? (sp) That kid is a gamer. I'd love to see him in a Bluenote.

Reactions: BlueOil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad