GDT: Blues VS Red Wings l 11/28/18 l 7 PM EST

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Bertuzzi is the type of player we have been wanting for a while. Plays hard, gets nose dirty, can put up points... Larkin, Bertuzzi, Cholo, AA and Mantha have slowly been showing they can be core pieces.. we still need a stud. A genuine franchise player but these guys with the support cast and another year or two of development could support a playoff team I believe... now build around them. Continue to rebuild and at some point hope we get those prime players that make a team elite. This year has been much more encouraging so far then I originally anticipated.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Jensen was good tonight. DeKeyser was great. He got out of position on one goal but saved about three others and was in the right place at the right time a ton. And then you look at the boxscore and see him even and Mike Green +3.... gracious. The rest of the defense sucked all night.

We totally lost focus in the middle of the game and tried to get cute and started half-assing plays. We were pretty fortunate to pull this game out, I thought.

Glendening and Bert were playing some old school hockey tonight. Best line.

Reactions: Realgud

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Missed it, but good to see Vanek get some points and (from the hightlights) making some realgud plays. That pass to Green on AAs goal was pretty pretty.

Bert always celebrates his goals in a way that makes me smile for him.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Bertuzzi is the type of player we have been wanting for a while. Plays hard, gets nose dirty, can put up points... Larkin, Bertuzzi, Cholo, AA and Mantha have slowly been showing they can be core pieces.. we still need a stud. A genuine franchise player but these guys with the support cast and another year or two of development could support a playoff team I believe... now build around them. Continue to rebuild and at some point hope we get those prime players that make a team elite. This year has been much more encouraging so far then I originally anticipated.

Agree with much of this. Several people thought Larkin, Mantha, etc. would make big strides this season and I didn't believe it'd be enough. Happy to be proven wrong. I don't know about all the guys mentioned being "core", but definitely a PO team in the making.

I rag on Vanek but must say he had a good game tonight. Beautiful shot on his goal. Not sure how he was the last man back on Steen's near breakaway but that play (and the commentary afterward) was hilarious.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...Glendening and Bert were playing some old school hockey tonight. Best line.

They've created some chemistry the last couple weeks and I'm glad Rasmussen gets to play on that line- just a good fit and model for the kid. Another assist from him as well.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I was unable to get the NBC feed. Box score shows Cholowski at 15 mins, with one blocked shot. No mention of his play in this thread, good or bad. How did he play?

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I was unable to get the NBC feed. Box score shows Cholowski at 15 mins, with one blocked shot. No mention of his play in this thread, good or bad. How did he play?

I only caught the third but he made a nifty spinorama play in the o-zone that was pretty integral to the GWG being scored a few seconds later.

Reactions: NEWing
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
AA was dangerous every shift. He has gamebreaker written all over him. With consistency, he's easily a 60+ point player.

I don't think we've seen a player this noticeable on a shift to shift basis since Datsyuk. By no means am I comparing them, because AA is nowhere near Datsyuk, but he does make something happen most times he's on the ice.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
I only caught the third but he made a nifty spinorama play in the o-zone that was pretty integral to the GWG being scored a few seconds later.
Yeah, the spinorama basically began to set up the GWG by keeping the puck in the zone.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
AA was dangerous every shift. He has gamebreaker written all over him. With consistency, he's easily a 60+ point player.

I don't think we've seen a player this noticeable on a shift to shift basis since Datsyuk. By no means am I comparing them, because AA is nowhere near Datsyuk, but he does make something happen most times he's on the ice.

It is remarkable watching Red Wings highlights, the names they say by a wide margin the most are Howard, Larkin and Athanasiou. AA seems to bring a lot of energy and some dangerous shooting.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit

Big difference between W and Ls this year is because of AAs consistent effort. Wings had a ton if one goal losses last year. A fully engaged AA helps a thousand fold. Boy, I sure hope this version of AA is here to stay.

Reactions: Ezekial and Flowah

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Jensen was good tonight.
Jensen's been good, imo, for at least 3-4 games now. Physical, winning battles, moving the puck.
The key difference is Datsyuk was much more intentional.

I did notice on several good plays that AA made that his play would have resulted in a grade A scoring chance if only the other player he was passing to was in the right place. Like that play where he's on the side and sends a cross ice area pass. If the other Wings player had been skating full speed, he'd have been there to catch it and tap it home. Happened like 3 times. That's AA expecting something that isn't there. On some teams that pays off. But it is still trying to force something that isn't there. Datsyuk created things that didn't exist and then made them exist. It's an enormous difference.

But hopefully, AA learns that. Or our team just learns to be better positioned to take advantage.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Cholo is always good. Just makes good plays. Don't think it's a bad thing his minutes are somewhat limited at times. Currently guys like Dekeyser, Green, Jensen etc. are playing pretty good hockey. Cholo's time as a major minute muncher on this team will come soon enough.

Reactions: The Zermanator

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Cholo is always good. Just makes good plays.
Really liked his poise with the puck in the offensive zone. He's confident enough as a rookie to make a spin play at the blue line and he's good enough to make it work.

Skill is so important in the league. So happy to see a d-man besides Green who flashes it.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Really liked his poise with the puck in the offensive zone. He's confident enough as a rookie to make a spin play at the blue line and he's good enough to make it work.

Skill is so important in the league. So happy to see a d-man besides Green who flashes it.
And unlike Green, Cholowski likely won't start coasting after the All-Star break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad