GDT: Blues vs. Ducks| Potential Playoff Clincher| 7pm, BSMW|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Congrats to Backes! It would be nice to see him come back into the front office somehow if he wanted to.

As far as the game, well we didn't take advantage of the opportunity to do our part to clinch tonight. That said this is what our 16th of 19 possible points lately? I know my math is wrong on that. Regroup and start picking up the points against Vegas again this weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

scottyajak

Apr 14, 2019
ducks fan dropping in to say you guys were lucky to have backes all those years. he's one of the good guys in the league and it's awesome to see him go out in STL. even though he only played 20 or so games with the ducks, i became a big fan of his quickly

honestly don't know why he didn't play more this season because he was always one of the better forwards in every game he played. for a cap dump, he turned out to be pretty solid

classy on the blues part to send him out that way
He was an absolute warrior for us. Glad you got to appreciate him.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
ducks fan dropping in to say you guys were lucky to have backes all those years. he's one of the good guys in the league and it's awesome to see him go out in STL. even though he only played 20 or so games with the ducks, i became a big fan of his quickly

honestly don't know why he didn't play more this season because he was always one of the better forwards in every game he played. for a cap dump, he turned out to be pretty solid

classy on the blues part to send him out that way
Nice post, thank you. Good luck to your team going forward!

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
not to be a debbie downer, but, I thought this last year too. but folks forget how much sloppier this team was just under 2 weeks ago.. it's not gonna go away right away.. at times ya just gotta work thru it

that being said, they HAVE taken 9 out of the last 11 pts so...

I hear ya, but after the lockdown, they just weren’t ready to play. I hope this year is different

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I would absolutely love to see the Blues to sign Backes to a 1 day contract to retire as a Blues, or hell, if Backes wants to play one more year and he's be ok with a league minimum contract a 1 year deal.

I love Backes, but we cant waste a roster spot on him for a contending team. I won’t even use him on the taxi squad.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
When he was being interviewed in the post game media scrum, I wish someone would have asked Hoffman what the f*** he was doing on the ducks second goal.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
At this point I’m not even that disappointed that we lost this game.

I never thought I’d have another night where the duo of Backes and Oshie got me as emotional as they did, but tonight was absolutely great to see for both of them.

Two of my all-time favorite Blues, and I still wish to this day that they were on the team who won it all.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
At this point I’m not even that disappointed that we lost this game.

I never thought I’d have another night where the duo of Backes and Oshie got me as emotional as they did, but tonight was absolutely great to see for both of them.

Two of my all-time favorite Blues, and I still wish to this day that they were on the team who won it all.

Absolutely, I didn't expect that little tribute at the end to get so emotional but you can see how much it meant to him. What a warrior he was for this team!

Reactions: CoMoBlues

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Always thought Backes was miscast as a #1 center here, particularly compared to Toews and Kopitar who were leading the two WCF powerhouses during that time. I think he would’ve been a great 2nd line center on a team with a true #1 (ala Schenn behind ROR) but nonetheless was a good player for the Blues. He - along with a handful of other guys - was a huge part of taking the Blues from rebuild to respectability and I will always remember him fondly, particularly during that 2016 run. He had a great career and hopefully has a healthy post playing career.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Another loss to the worst team in The NHL. Really depressing. They'll back into the playoffs, and not have a good feeling about the way they've been playing.

they should have dominated the Ducks and they didn't. That might explain the uneasiness

1st round exit HERE WE COME!
I have absolutely zero heartburn about this loss and I don't see any reason to believe that our level of play in these past 2 games has any bearing on how we will be playing 2 weeks from now.

These are the exact same types of comments we were seeing at the end of March after we dropped 2 games to the Ducks. That was in the middle of our brutal 14 game stretch where we managed 2 wins and were approaching the gauntlet of good teams in April. Since that 14 game stretch, we are 8-3-2 and 7-1-2 vs the other 3 playoff teams. Playing terrible against the bottom feeders didn't translate to getting waxed by the good teams in April like everyone was predicting.

We lost 1 game in regulation to the Ducks this year. So did the Avs, Knights and Wild (who have 2 more games against them still).

All 5 of our wins came in regulation and we lost both games that went to OT/SO. The Avs beat them 4 times in regulation and went 2-1 in OT/SO games. The Knights beat them 5 times in regulation and won both games that went to OT/SO. The Wild have beaten them 5 times in regulation and no games have gone to OT/SO.

So what is the catastrophic issue? The Avs and Knights have been no better vs the Ducks in regulation than we have. The difference is that they have won 3 on 3 while we haven't. There is no 3 on 3 or SO in the playoffs, so I have zero concern about comparative results in those scenarios.

I have been clear that I don't view this team as a Cup contender, but our performance against the Ducks has zero bearing on that opinion. I genuinely don't see any cause for concern over taking "only" 3 of 4 points against the Ducks.

Krug, Dunn, and Tarasenko not playing is much more concerning to me than how the on-ice players fared without them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->