GDT: Blues vs devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I had no idea Arizona was tied (technically ahead) of Colorado.
...and they’re doing it with a ton of injuries. The season they’re putting together is remarkable, but getting very little attention.

Rick Tocchet is my guess for Jack Adams trophy this season (virtual lock if the coyotes can make the playoffs IMO).

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
...and they’re doing it with a ton of injuries. The season they’re putting together is remarkable, but getting very little attention.

Rick Tocchet is my guess for Jack Adams trophy this season (virtual lock if the coyotes can make the playoffs IMO).
They seem to have stretches where they are the best team in the NHL and them remarkably fall off at random points in the season. They are probably my worst fear in terms of losing a playoff spot, but hopefully the Blues can just keep up a 60% winning percentage. I think with that, they are probably a lock for the playoffs, maybe in the 3rd spot (I haven't looked at projections so I really dont know what could secure them a spot).

Reactions: Bendak

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

I'd think Berube gets the nod for the Jack Adams, resurrecting this roster from last place in the league and turning it into a playoff team.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

I think Barry Trotz has the Adams locked up rather easily. Tavares leaves and they’re winning their division.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
I think Barry Trotz has the Adams locked up rather easily. Tavares leaves and they’re winning their division.

That is impressive, I was so upset we didn't go after him and was surprised he chose to take the job with the Islanders when he probably could have gone to just abut any team he wanted.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
What a game....little sloppy up so much but love the fact they gave no quarter.

Hope they can keep it up vs Arizona the coyotes have been kryptonite to us lately.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
giphy.gif

LGB!

Can we get this Dog as an emotional support dog for Jake Allen?

Maybe as a goalie coach as well look at him plant his feet and not slide unless it’s necessary? Lol

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Karlsson with years remaining didn’t cost a top prospect. Dzingel, Nyquist, etc. would definitely not cost us Kyrou. Panarin, Duchene, Stone, Hoffman, Huberdeau, etc. are all available as well, and while I doubt any of them return a prospect like Kyrou, we could grab the low-hanging fruit. Lots of options available.

What Karlsson are you talking about?

The elite D man had 1 year remaining and is a UFA. He returned a 1st, a 2nd, two roster players and 2 prospects who were widely considered in San Jose's top 5 prospects.

The winger was selected in the expansion draft and had 1 more year left on his contract (but was an RFA). He was exposed as part of an agreement for Vegas to select him instead of a couple other guys they liked better and for Vegas to take on the contract to David Clarkson. COlumbus gave a couple high picks for Vegas to do this and it is a hilariously bad trade for the Jackets in hindsight. With that said, Karlsson was coming off a 6 goal and 25 point season the year before.

It's going to be tough to get a good rental w/o a 1st round pick. Outside of Kyrou, I'm not sure any of our prospects are incredibly valuable as the primary piece of a trade that doesn't involve a pick. Kostin and Bokk are the only realistic guys that could acquire the players you mention and they are both former late 1st rounders who are long term prospects. Unless a team was actively targeting them during the draft, I'd wager most teams would prefer a 1st round pick so they can select their own guy over a prospect who is likely 2+ years away from making a tangible NHL impact. So you're probably left with teams saying, we'll do it for Kyrou, but if he is off the table we are going to find a team who can give us a 2019 1st.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Can we get this Dog as an emotional support dog for Jake Allen?

Maybe as a goalie coach as well look at him plant his feet and not slide unless it’s necessary? Lol
I did that with one of my border collies for years before she became too old to do that anymore. She actually got a tooth knocked out by a high stick when she tried to come out of her net too aggressively.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
What Karlsson are you talking about?

The elite D man had 1 year remaining and is a UFA. He returned a 1st, a 2nd, two roster players and 2 prospects who were widely considered in San Jose's top 5 prospects.

The winger was selected in the expansion draft and had 1 more year left on his contract (but was an RFA). He was exposed as part of an agreement for Vegas to select him instead of a couple other guys they liked better and for Vegas to take on the contract to David Clarkson. COlumbus gave a couple high picks for Vegas to do this and it is a hilariously bad trade for the Jackets in hindsight. With that said, Karlsson was coming off a 6 goal and 25 point season the year before.

It's going to be tough to get a good rental w/o a 1st round pick. Outside of Kyrou, I'm not sure any of our prospects are incredibly valuable as the primary piece of a trade that doesn't involve a pick. Kostin and Bokk are the only realistic guys that could acquire the players you mention and they are both former late 1st rounders who are long term prospects. Unless a team was actively targeting them during the draft, I'd wager most teams would prefer a 1st round pick so they can select their own guy over a prospect who is likely 2+ years away from making a tangible NHL impact. So you're probably left with teams saying, we'll do it for Kyrou, but if he is off the table we are going to find a team who can give us a 2019 1st.
Erik Karlsson didn’t return a prospect like Kyrou - not because he wasn’t worth it, but because both teams found a deal around quantity. Top prospects just don’t get traded - unless the talent coming back is truly elite - and even then it doesn’t often happen. Teams just don’t do that, so I don’t think it’s accurate to say that we would have to trade Kyrou. You menioned Bokk and Kostin - those are exactly the types of prospects that end up in deals like this. Again, Karlsson also had a year remaining and is a HOF defenseman. The players I mentioned don’t necessitate a Kyrou or nothing conversation. There are ways to grab good players without giving up your best players. Hell, we did it with O’Reilly and Schenn. The Sharks did it with Karlsson. There are lots of examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad