Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I really hope we don't start doing the whole dual goalie thing again. For some reason this team just can't seem to shake it.

The reason is that we have always had excellent back-ups but never a true #1 goalie. Some goalies are excellent in a limited role but cannot push beyond that role. Hutton is an outstanding 20-30 game a year back-up. Push him into a 50/50 split platoon role or starting gig, and he will struggle. Elliott and Allen are both solid 1A/1Bs. But neither has proven to be able to handle a full role. Same with Halak. It takes another level of stamina, mental and physical conditioning to be on your game night in and night 60+ games over the season.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Im hoping its not like that. Allen hasn't actually been bad. Hutton has just been outstanding.
I agree. If they start alternating Hutton, or even just start giving him a game every few games, his numbers will start to decline.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
My stance for over a month has been that we were riding Allen too hard. He should be our #1, but he was on pace for 65-70 games until very recently. That's too much in today's NHL unless your guy is truly elite. Allen is a lot of good things, but elite isn't one of them. Maybe someday, but not at 27. I don't want to roll a tandem, but I'm happy that we are finally giving Hutton some more work. I think it helps the team in the short run and will help Allen in the long run.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
My stance for over a month has been that we were riding Allen too hard. He should be our #1, but he was on pace for 65-70 games until very recently. That's too much in today's NHL unless your guy is truly elite. Allen is a lot of good things, but elite isn't one of them. Maybe someday, but not at 27. I don't want to roll a tandem, but I'm happy that we are finally giving Hutton some more work. I think it helps the team in the short run and will help Allen in the long run.
I think playing a goalie for 65-70 games, even if it's Price or Holtby, is a dumb strategy. Many gms have shown that you can find a good backup for around league minimum, and if your system is good, then they will benefit and play well. I dont think it's a coincidence that Hutton and Elliott played vezina-like on this team, and as long as they play above average, you rest your starter regularly.

Reactions: DeuceNine

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Hutton is an outstanding 20-30 game a year back-up. Push him into a 50/50 split platoon role or starting gig, and he will struggle.

I'm not certain that's the case this year. This Hutton looks different than when with Nashville. I'm also not sure that we have enough of a cross-section to make this claim.

ZigZagBluesFan

Sep 30, 2010
I really hope we don't start doing the whole dual goalie thing again. For some reason this team just can't seem to shake it.
I feel like it's the product of a good problem. Our backups the past few years have been incredible at times.

Jake is the guy, but I think it's probably great for Hutton to get some extra action during the middle of the season to lighten his workload.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->