Pre-Game Talk: Blues vs. Canucks — Is there a switch to flick?

Who ya got?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Kyrou earned another game.

Id probably start Binnington unless I thought he wasn’t right mentally from talking to him. His starts in the round robin were solid. But I’d also plan to play Allen again. This postseason format is condensed. I think it’s a mistake to go with one guy the whole time.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Kyrou earned another game.

Id probably start Binnington unless I thought he wasn’t right mentally from talking to him. His starts in the round robin were solid. But I’d also plan to play Allen again. This postseason format is condensed. I think it’s a mistake to go with one guy the whole time.
I thought his start against Colorado was solid, but I thought his play in the Vegas game was very uneven. He made some great saves in that game but also seemed to have more than a few mental lapses and positioning breakdowns. I don't think he ever got right after that game, and that (in my mind) is why he faltered in Games 1 and 2.

If sharp focused Binny is back, I don't hesitate to give him the net tonight and for the foreseeable future. If I'm not sure, I either go back to Allen or go to Binny on a very short leash.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I thought his start against Colorado was solid, but I thought his play in the Vegas game was very uneven. He made some great saves in that game but also seemed to have more than a few mental lapses and positioning breakdowns. I don't think he ever got right after that game, and that (in my mind) is why he faltered in Games 1 and 2.

If sharp focused Binny is back, I don't hesitate to give him the net tonight and for the foreseeable future. If I'm not sure, I either go back to Allen or go to Binny on a very short leash.
This will come down to Berube making the right call with his gut instinct. I think it was gutsy, and right, to sit Tarasenko. If he starts a goalie who has a bad game tonight, I won't fault Chief much. Its a tricky decision.

I think you need Binnington before the end of the playoffs for a deep run. And it would make sense to go with the rested guy on a back to back. But I think maybe Jordan needs a little longer break to get his fire back. I'd probably lean toward starting Allen. But I'd expect to return to Binnington probably in Round 2 or when Allen has a poor outing.

But if you started Binnington tonight and he had a good game, who starts Wednesday? I think Allen deserves more ownership of the net for a while for as long as he plays well.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
This will come down to Berube making the right call with his gut instinct. I think it was gutsy, and right, to sit Tarasenko. If he starts a goalie who has a bad game tonight, I won't fault Chief much. Its a tricky decision.

I think you need Binnington before the end of the playoffs for a deep run. And it would make sense to go with the rested guy on a back to back. But I think maybe Jordan needs a little longer break to get his fire back. I'd probably lean toward starting Allen. But I'd expect to return to Binnington probably in Round 2 or when Allen has a poor outing.

But if you started Binnington tonight and he had a good game, who starts Wednesday? I think Allen deserves more ownership of the net for a while for as long as he plays well.
My belief is that the net is Binnington's until he proves that he's not the guy. I'm not sure that two bad games in this series costs him the net. It was refreshing to have Allen play well last night, but I think if Chief feels Binny is ready to get his swagger back he is going to run with him. I won't go so far as to say they don't believe they can repeat with Allen in net, but I think they know that prime-Binny is more likely to get them there than prime-Allen. Just my $0.02 anyway.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Vancouver fan here...
In all honesty, I think the series is done. Keep Allen in if you guys want to win.
The only reason you guys lost 2 games was the goaltending difference. It was pretty evident which was the better team in all 4 games.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Vancouver fan here...
In all honesty, I think the series is done. Keep Allen in if you guys want to win.
The only reason you guys lost 2 games was the goaltending difference. It was pretty evident which was the better team in all 4 games.

I think the team who deserved to win has won each of the games. The Nuck's have played very well in the first two games and I think they deserved the wins. Blues need to dig in and continue to play their game.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
I think the team who deserved to win has won each of the games. The Nuck's have played very well in the first two games and I think they deserved the wins. Blues need to dig in and continue to play their game.

Lol, I don't know... Stlouis is disgustingly outshooting Vancouver every game and dominate in 5 on 5.

Vancouver weather's the Storm and scores some questionable goals on Bennington at crucial points of the game.

Vancouver had its moments but not sure if they were necessarily the better team.. They definitely had the better goalie in the first 2 games though.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
You could see it start in the third period of game 1. They’re looking like the Sharks last year, getting rid of the puck too soon trying to avoid getting hit, thus turning it over and being hemmed in. Cautiously optimistic it’ll continue

Reactions: BlueOil

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
The series has swung because 3 things happened:
The Blues started getting stronger goaltending from Allen
The Blues adjusted to Vancouver's PP, which has dried up
The Canucks at present have no answer for the ROR line

If those three things continue I still expect a close series, but one the Blues will win. If the Blues could start getting more from the bottom 6 (and with Barbashev coming back I think they may) that would really tilt things as the bottom 6 for Vancouver seems to be out there simply to not get scored on while EP/Miller/etc. grab a breather.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I thing Miller might just be one of their most consistent and well performing players.

if someone asked me if I wanted him on my team (without having looked at his contract, I would say yes.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Looks like both our goalies are compromised.

Not good.

Markstrom looks very solid.

Markstrom is a beast. The only way we can score on him is on a rebound, deflection or screen shot. Dude is stopping everything he can see clearly.

Was disappointing to see such a sloppy effort after how good we looked in games 3 and 4. Hope they can wake up and find their game again, but as it stands now Vancouver deserves to win this series. Stop with the stupid careless penalties!

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
ROR has looked very good. As has Schenn. Faulk doing better.

The rest of the team melted down the 2nd half of game 5.

I think the Canucks win this in 6 games unless the Blues figure out how to play 60 minutes of THEIR game.

Kudus to the Canucks. Even down 3-1 they made some adjustments and never gave up. It helps that their goalie is rock solid.

The Blues have up after the Canucks 2nd goal. It was painful to watch, so I shut it off.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
This is one of those days where it is best to make peace with the debacle and move on instead of stewing about it for days.

I'll tune in just before game 6. It's completely in the hands of the Blues at this point.

The refs are fair, the Canucks are playing clean, and the late night schedule is what it is. It sucks playing at 9:30pm day after day, but nothing can be done about that. The NHL has ulterior motives.

The Blues either get with THEIR game and execute or they pack it up and leave the bubble. I still contend that their preparation and strategy for playing in the bubble has been a disaster. Outside of games 3 and 4 against the Canucks, everything else has been a great disappointment and head scratcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad