Pre-Game Talk: Blues vs. Canucks — Is there a switch to flick?

Who ya got?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I'm trying really hard to see the glass half full side of this. Despite how poorly they played in the three round robin games, they were leading after two in all three of them against teams with better regular season records than the Canucks. We just have to figure out how to get there again and hang on in one of the first two games. I believe that if we can get a split in the first two games it will give us enough time to get back to the Blues of 2019 so we can start a run.
Yes their timing is off but it was clear as day they were holding back. And like you said they could have easily won all 3 games vs top teams. Scored 4 against Vegas, .01 second, and 30 seconds left vs Dallas.

Reactions: Blueston

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Vancouver does have the horses...

Unless our forecheck is playing to near 2019 playoff form, Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser are going to feast on our lapses.

The Canucks leadership in Edler, Horvat, Tanev, Sutter, Toffoli and Pearson may not be famous, but there's a couple decent runs in there. Pearson has a ring, so does Toffoli. Edler lost in game 7 of the final. Sutter wasn't there when Pittsburgh got over the hump, but had plenty of playoff games before that - him, much like Horvat are heart and soul guys, what sets Horvat above Sutter is talent.

I mean, the pre-shutdown Blues absolutely eat the Canucks alive. But the post-shutdown Blues are going to have their hands full.

I still think the Blues advance, but this series goes 6-7 games. I think Vancouver is more likely to knock us out before we can return to form than Colorado or Vegas are when we would meet later in the playoffs should we move on (I say this, convinced Colorado wins the cup this year if we don't).

Canucks fan coming in peace, Tanev played in the SCF too, but he did it as a twenty year old rookie. Bieksa even said he was so calm he could have played while holding a cigarette in his mouth.

Bieksa on Canucks youngster Tanev: give the kid a light

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Well the good news is we probably only have to watch 3 more 3rd periods like this. I thought they played well for 35 minutes (minus the first five minutes of the first and the whole third) but that isn’t going to cut it against a team as talented and hungry as the Canucks. I’d be happy to be proven wrong, but I think there is a better chance we get swept than actually find our game for 60 minutes often enough to win the series.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Well the good news is we probably only have to watch 3 more 3rd periods like this. I thought they played well for 35 minutes (minus the first five minutes of the first and the whole third) but that isn’t going to cut it against a team as talented and hungry as the Canucks. I’d be happy to be proven wrong, but I think there is a better chance we get swept than actually find our game for 60 minutes often enough to win the series.

Agreed.

The 3rd period stats show that they can't hang mentally or physically for 60 minutes in a bubble game. Maybe they need real fans to keep them going. I don't give a damn that much of the stat is based on round robin games. This is not the Blues mentality from last year.

Canucks in 4...come home and prep for 2020-2021...it will be here before we know it.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Bubble stats

0-5 in games
0-14 in 3rd period goals for vs goals against

We should be done in a few more days.

The team has zero mental and physical stamina. The bubble has been a bust for the Blues.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
If the Blues feel like they got jobbed by the refs, which I think they do after listening to the post game comments, they are going to come out firing on Friday night.

If the refs are going to call a trip every time a guy falls down, call it the same for both teams. 2 to 1 advantage for the Canucks on the power play. I can vividly recall three instances where a Blues player was tripped and no call. Also Schenn's stick being held late in the 3rd.

We played good enough to win outside of two mistakes in the 3rd. Sloppy with the puck in our end and a softie let in by Binnington and Dunn getting undressed by Horvat.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Canuck fan in peace,

Just curious on what the injury updates are for Blais, Steen and Barbs.

Those are exactly the type of player the young Canuck team struggles vs.

Thanks in advance and good luck rest of the way. Win or Lose its an honour to be playing the Stanley Cup Champs. Im sure years from now the young Canuck core will emphasize that this was the eye opener and playoff series that showed them what it takes to be successful in the playoffs. Thank you for the upcoming lessons.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Canuck fan in peace,

Thanks in advance and good luck rest of the way. Win or Lose its an honour to be playing the Stanley Cup Champs. Im sure years from now the young Canuck core will emphasize that this was the eye opener and playoff series that showed them what it takes to be successful in the playoffs. Thank you for the upcoming lessons.
Barbashev isn’t injured, he just left the bubble to see the birth of his first child. Due to the policies in place he will likely be out until game 4 or 5.

Blais and Steen we don’t really know other than they are considered day to day. I’d expect them to both make an appearance over the weekend maybe.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Canuck fan in peace,

Barbashev isn’t injured. He’s outside the bubble (returning today per plan) for the birth of a child.

No idea what is up with Steen. Blais, not sure but I don’t think it’s a long term thing. We aren’t getting the usual updates like who’s skating, etc, so hard to say much.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Barbashev isn’t injured, he just left the bubble to see the birth of his first child. Due to the policies in place he will likely be out until game 4 or 5.

Blais and Steen we don’t really know other than they are considered day to day. I’d expect them to both make an appearance over the weekend maybe.

If Barbashev isnt returning to the bubble until today then doesnt that rule him out of the series because he has to quarantine for 14 days.

If the series goes 7 games then its played 10 days from now on the 23rd

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If Barbashev isnt returning to the bubble until today then doesnt that rule him out of the series because he has to quarantine for 14 days.

If the series goes 7 games then its played 10 days from now on the 23rd
No. That’s not the protocol. I think it’s something like 4 days of daily tests negative. He is expected to miss the first 4 games.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
No. That’s not the protocol. I think it’s something like 4 days of daily tests negative. He is expected to miss the first 4 games.

I guess im not familiar with the protocol.

But i know there is a National quarantine rule in Canada that if a person comes from outside of Canada they must quarantine for 2 weeks. How did the NHL manage to get around that?

straight from government of Canada website...

Mandatory quarantine or mandatory isolation

Before considering travelling, all travellers arriving in Canada must plan for their mandatory 14-day quarantine period, which starts on the date they arrive. Government of Canada representatives will conduct health screenings at the time of entry to Canada and let you know if you need to quarantine or isolate.
If you don't have COVID-19 symptoms, you must quarantine for 14 days while you're still at risk of developing symptoms and infecting others.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I guess im not familiar with the protocol.

But i know there is a National quarantine rule in Canada that if a person comes from outside of Canada they must quarantine for 2 weeks. How did the NHL manage to get around that?

straight from government of Canada website...

Mandatory quarantine or mandatory isolation

Before considering travelling, all travellers arriving in Canada must plan for their mandatory 14-day quarantine period, which starts on the date they arrive. Government of Canada representatives will conduct health screenings at the time of entry to Canada and let you know if you need to quarantine or isolate.
If you don't have COVID-19 symptoms, you must quarantine for 14 days while you're still at risk of developing symptoms and infecting others.
It was announced pretty early on that the government was giving an exemption to this to facilitate the NHL protocol and be considered for hub status.Even the part you quoted mentions that this is at the discretion of government representatives.

The quarantine rule you cited is a way to function with no testing. The testing protocol the NHL is using provides a lot more information than a blind quarantine period would. The time periods can be safely adjusted accordingly.

Reactions: TK 421

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Ever notice in almost all of these polls (on the main boards too) it's almost always the higher seeded team in game 6 that gets the most votes.

I would be curious how often the higher seeded teams win in 6 games in any given series. Since there are 8 possibilities in every series I can't imagine it's as often as people think but I have no idea.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Barbashev is returning to Edmonton, assuming negative tests then he'll be available for game 5.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Just on a personal note, I won’t be able to make the GDT for games 3/4 as I’ll be in the middle of nowhere, Maine and won’t have reliable WiFi. Not sure if @Blanick is willing or able to pinch hit, but just wanted to let everyone know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad