Blues Trade Proposals 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Faulk for Tyler Johnson, who says no? TBL has bad RD depth, we’ve got too much. TyJo has worn out his welcome there, but could add some firepower to our forward corps moving forward. TBL has the cap space to absorb the extra cap hit. Faulk would have to agree to go.
Tyler Johnson <-> Faulk 50% retain salary + Kyrou + 1St round pick

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Faulk for Tyler Johnson, who says no? TBL has bad RD depth, we’ve got too much. TyJo has worn out his welcome there, but could add some firepower to our forward corps moving forward. TBL has the cap space to absorb the extra cap hit. Faulk would have to agree to go.
Why would we want Tyler Johnson? He’s basically an undersized 40 point player on oversized contract. Not opposed to dealing Faulk in right deal but this ain’t it.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Wrong thread. :)
See what happens when one gets very old?! Enjoy your youth! Imagine how demented I would be if I didn't eat a lot of fish with Omega 3 fish oil, take pills to get more, and also take ginkobaloba! I'd have to hire someone to remind me of which thread I am reading! But I couldn't afford to pay him or her, because I can't afford to hire someone to remind me to do my work, to earn money! :rolleyes:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

The last thing Tampa should be contemplating is adding salary for next season (although the Coleman contract was a great move by them as he’s cheap and can be impactful to a degree). Tampa is in a world of hurt this next offseason with cap hits. I can’t remember if Johnson is 5 or 5.5 per year but regardless they’re going to have to shed a lot. If they don’t shed one of Johnson/Killorn/Gourde they will lose Sergachev which I’m not so sure they can keep him without shedding multiple of those guys. To be honest with you as well that will not be easy as they all have NTCs.

I don’t know exactly what’s going to happen with Sergachev but they have 6-7m remaining with 13 contracts on the books.

After digging a bit deeper Killorn is the only one that isn’t one of their top end contributors that has a modified NTC. Can they ask one of the others to waive, yeah sure but the contracts remaining aren’t going to be expiring anytime soon.

Cirelli will get a hefty raise 40 points in 58 games currently. Could very well be a 50-60 point player which puts him in the 2nd line category.

Shattenkirk will be given a contract somewhere much more than what he’s making now 30 points so far already.

Sergachev will get paid very handsomely somewhere. Would be shocked if he wasn’t offersheeted this offseason by somebody like Mtl.

I don’t think it’s too far out of the realm of possibility to look into a McDonough for Faulk type of trade IF Tampa needs to solidify the right side, and we are not happy with the compatibility of Faulk on the left side (or Pietro/Parayko) for that matter.

Luckily for Tampa they have a few young guys on draft contracts who could probably fill a few spots. But somehow I’d they want to keep Cirelli and Sergachev which I’d be willing to bet they do, they are going to be paying a pretty penny to do so because I don’t see a lot of teams out there that those guys would probably waive for given where they’re currently at that have cap space.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I wonder what the chances are of Army moving someone with salary out for an upgrade of someone with term.
I can't see it happening. But a hockey trade doesn't necessarily have to involve a current roster player. It could be our 1st and prospect(s) for someone whose contract extends beyond July 1, 2020.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I can't see it happening. But a hockey trade doesn't necessarily have to involve a current roster player. It could be our 1st and prospect(s) for someone whose contract extends beyond July 1, 2020.
We'd have to move out salary for that person to fit in, whether it's for just this season or next. So, while true in theory, based on our cap situation we don't have the flexibility to not ship out salary.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I initially thought the salary retention was for flexibility for another move. But with no retention there would not be cap room to accommodate Tarasenko’s return. Armstrong bought himself a bit more room. As I understand it, he may be able to keep a 24th guy on the roster (for example) after the deadline. I believe the cap compliance is still necessary, but the roster limit is flexible.

Anyway, the retention had to be there to bring Scandella’s salary equal or below Bouwmeester’s.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
We'd have to move out salary for that person to fit in, whether it's for just this season or next. So, while true in theory, based on our cap situation we don't have the flexibility to not ship out salary.
Not exactly true. Scandella being 50% retained plus a current roster player being sent down / waived to bring the roster to the 23 size limit gives us at least 2M to play with this season compared.
2M = (Bouwmeester at 3.25M - Scandella at 2M + MacEachern at 750k being sent down).

Brendan Gallagher at 50% retention would fit without having to move salary out for this season.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not exactly true. Scandella being 50% retained plus a current roster player being sent down / waived to bring the roster to the 23 size limit gives us at least 2M to play with this season compared.
2M = (Bouwmeester at 3.25M - Scandella at 2M + MacEachern at 750k being sent down).

Brendan Gallagher at 50% retention would fit without having to move salary out for this season.
We are still taking someone off the roster that has been on the roster for the bulk of the season. It's just semantics at this point, but that's a hockey trade IMO. It would most likely be Kyrou since he isn't subject to waivers though.

Gallagher at 50% would be very expensive in terms of assets, as every team would want to add him. Wouldn't surprise me if he brought 1st+Kyrou.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
We are still taking someone off the roster that has been on the roster for the bulk of the season. It's just semantics at this point, but that's a hockey trade IMO. It would most likely be Kyrou since he isn't subject to waivers though.

Gallagher at 50% would be very expensive in terms of assets, as every team would want to add him. Wouldn't surprise me if he brought 1st+Kyrou.
Yes he would be expensive but that would be considered a hockey trade that isn't subtracting a big contract or core player from the team. There's a list of other guys in that 3-6M AAV range that aren't rentals that could be available.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Gallagher would be ridiculously expensive at 50% retention. Coleman is a solid 3rd liner who returned what amounted to two 1st round picks(Foote being 27th overall in 2019). Gallagher is on pace to hit 30 goals for the 3rd consecutive season and at 50% retention, is a mere 75k higher cap than Coleman.

I think dabbling in the extended rental market would be foolish with how prices are currently looking.

Unless Army decides to move on from Faulk, can find a team he approves before the TDL, and return a middle 6 forward, I'd wager we're done.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
My guess is that in such a deal TB would be pushing Killorn, but I would much rather have Palat. I think stapling Palat to Thomas's wing for a while would be great for both players. This is a relatively lateral deal salary-wise regardless of the forward you plug in from TB, but I suspect they will be looking to shed salary in the offseason. They are already tight against the cap and need to pay Sergachev coming off his ELC.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I'd rather get ripped to shreds here than the trade board. I know Leafs fans are historically bad at trade proposals so here's one more

Marner for Parayko, Steen/Bozak, Kostin

Whatcha think?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd rather get ripped to shreds here than the trade board. I know Leafs fans are historically bad at trade proposals so here's one more

Whatcha think?
If Army has a deal with Petro lined up, this is something he'd at least have to consider just because it's Marner.

Like others said, value isn't good for Toronto.

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Whatcha think?
That favours the Blues.

Marner is elite. His contract is stupid, since it is paying a RFA like he is an UFA, but he's still worth it. Ignoring any comments on player value, there is just no way that Dubas would move Marner in a deal centred around a player who is only signed another two years. He'd want a lot more control than that. A salary makeweight and a decent prospect doesn't come close to bridging the gap in term.

Reactions: MissouriMook

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

Whatcha think?
As the first reply points out, I don't see this as a path the Blues go down without having Petro locked up first. If the hit for Petro comes in at $9M or lower, it is probably doable from a cap standpoint, though Bozak is a guy we think might have to be sacrificed as a cap dump (even after moving Allen) to make Petro's deal work, and if he's already gone in this deal, that means someone else would have to go, too.

Ultimately, I'm not sure it is a great move for the Blues, but I think the value is beyond fair to the point that it may be stacked in the Blues favor. It is certainly a refreshing change from the main board threads that always start out with a TOR fan saying "we have to get Parayko" and end with "you're not even touching Nylander much less Marner."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad