Blues Trade Proposals 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Dunn+Sanford(Mass kid) with picks from both sides makes sense to me.

DeBrusk-O’Reilly-Perron
Schwartz-Thomas-Schenn
Blais-Bozak-Kyrou
Clifford-Barbashev-Sundqvist
MacEachern, DLR

Krug-Parayko
Scandella-Faulk
Mikkola-Bortuzzo
Gunnarsson

Binnington
Husso

I like it. Kostin may not make the opening night roster..but depending on his camp, I see him as the first top 9 injury replacement. However, he could also push Blais to the fourth line and Clifford to 13F if he earns a spot in camp. We’ll see.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'd be a lot more comfortable parting ways with Blais at this point than I would be with Sanford. Sanford may never be a first liner, but I think he is still a ways away from his ceiling and could be a 25/25/50 player in the next few years. Blais will never be that, I fear, and his physicality is far more replaceable down in the lineup than Sanford's scoring touch.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'd be a lot more comfortable parting ways with Blais at this point than I would be with Sanford. Sanford may never be a first liner, but I think he is still a ways away from his ceiling and could be a 25/25/50 player in the next few years. Blais will never be that, I fear, and his physicality is far more replaceable down in the lineup than Sanford's scoring touch.
Agreed. Sanford is way underrated on here. Difference between Sanford and Debrusk is not Dunn.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Sanford seems to get hot for stretches in a way that Blais doesn't and you can see that extra level, even if it is only now and then

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I'm not much of a Sanford fan but I wouldn't attach him to Dunn for Debrusk. Dunn for Debrusk straight up or with 4th round or later attached? Sure.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’d be perfectly fine with Blais going instead.

I just figured DeBrusk would be a high ask, and Blais is valuable for us in that he can play on all 4 lines for us, and he’s a wrecking ball on the ice. Boston also loves their Mass kids, and I don’t see Sanford playing on the 4th line for us if Kostin forces the Blues hand with a roster spot this year.

Maybe Dunn+Blais/Sanford for DeBrusk+pick or one of their many D prospects.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Boston also loves their Mass kids, and I don’t see Sanford playing on the 4th line for us if Kostin forces the Blues hand with a roster spot this year.

If Kostin forces the Blues' hand, it will almost certainly be for a 4th line role rather than pushing a legitimate scoring line player down to the 4th line.

Reactions: Reality Czech

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
If Kostin forces the Blues' hand, it will almost certainly be for a 4th line role rather than pushing a legitimate scoring line player down to the 4th line.

If we choose Sanford/Kostin instead of Blais/Kostin, then yeah I agree.

I just mean that I think Blais’ game fits with Barbie and Sunny better than Kostin’s does.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

I just mean that I think Blais’ game fits with Barbie and Sunny better than Kostin’s does.

I dunno. I think people get locked into rigid ideas of where certain players can be played. Barbashev and Sundqvist both have legitimate skills and when Kostin was up with the Blues, he looked just fine in an energy role. He moved his feet, back-checked, and hit. Unless he shows himself to be a serious offensive threat at the NHL level, that's what he's going to have to do regardless.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020

some of the knocks on Barbie before he came up are the same ones on Kostin
he might be a guy that shakes off that inconsistency from night to night as he gets into his 20's, and could give that line a guy who can really shoot

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I dunno. I think people get locked into rigid ideas of where certain players can be played. Barbashev and Sundqvist both have legitimate skills and when Kostin was up with the Blues, he looked just fine in an energy role. He moved his feet, back-checked, and hit. Unless he shows himself to be a serious offensive threat at the NHL level, that's what he's going to have to do regardless.

Oh this isn’t me saying that we shouldn’t play Kostin in a fourth line role no matter what. I just think with the role that Chief uses his fourth line in, Blais-Barbie-Sunny would be my preferred group.

I could definitely see Klim having success with those two, but I just think he’s better off with someone like Thomas or Bozie.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yes. Some serious overrating of Kostin by some here.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Sabres fan coming in peace. I was wondering if some combination of Tage Thompson, Ryan Johnson, and/or a high pick would get us close to Vince Dunn? I see you're focusing on using him as a piece for an immediate impact player, but thought I'd ask about this anyway. Thanks!

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Yes. Some serious overrating of Kostin by some here.

I think Kostin has some rarer abilities and will eventually be better than his AHL stats might indicate. How much better, I'm not sure, but he's always struck me as a guy who plays better with better players. But modern day Barbashev and Sundqvist are a huge step up from anyone he's ever played hockey with regularly, so it's not like playing with those players wouldn't be setting him up to succeed.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Sabres fan coming in peace. I was wondering if some combination of Tage Thompson, Ryan Johnson, and/or a high pick would get us close to Vince Dunn? I see you're focusing on using him as a piece for an immediate impact player, but thought I'd ask about this anyway. Thanks!

From the Sabres, I'm not sure I see Tage is of any interest, and probably isn't ready too contribute on top6 (which is where we would need a new body), Johnson is even further away.

So unless they are willing to move Mitts, I think I would prefer next year's first rounder (top-5 protected), save the cap, and go after a FA with that space.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
From the Sabres, I'm not sure I see Tage is of any interest, and probably isn't ready too contribute on top6 (which is where we would need a new body), Johnson is even further away.

So unless they are willing to move Mitts, I think I would prefer next year's first rounder (top-5 protected), save the cap, and go after a FA with that space.
Would you do Mitts straight up for Dunn?

Reactions: Xanadude

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
The amount of Backlash the Buffalo GM would receive if he traded Thompson, Johnson+ to the Blues for Dunn would be crazy. But, I also don't know if those pieces do anything for us either.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

Hi, welcome. :)

I feel like Tage has overstayed his welcome. And personally I'm not a fan of Johnson. How do you guys rate Mittlestadt nowadays? Only him or a deal involving Peterka and a pick sound interesting to me.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I doubt you'd find much interest in bringing back Thompson around these parts. Johnson probably doesn't move the needle either with Mikkola and Perunovich as young players ahead of him on the depth chart. Maybe Johnson + 2021 2nd would get it done, but I think the team would probably prefer a Top-10 protected 2021 1st for Dunn+ if it came to pure futures.

Ultimately, I expect the team will either keep him or move him for a young but proven middle six scoring winger on a cheapish deal as that is our immediate need. A few people seem to like the idea of a deal around Dunn and Jake DeBrusk, so that should give you some idea of the desired return if we move him.

Reactions: Xanadude

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Would you do Mitts straight up for Dunn?

I see them as being in fairly similar situations. Two young players that are struggling to find roles given their current teams' makeups.

Although I do see Dunn as being more of a sure thing. So Mitts slightly less likely to reach top-6 forward than Dunn is to become a permanent top-4 D. So maybe another small asset to balance it out would be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad