Blues Trade Proposals 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
What you guys think of Marc-Édouard Vlasic?
He was one of my all-time favorite defenseman, a few years ago. One of the best defensive defensemen in the League. Olympic Gold Medalist, two time WC gold medals. Unfortunately, he has lost a step and his contract is atrocious,

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Actually, now I am really thinking about Faulk for Vlasic. It gives us more balance with Vlasic being a lefty, and I honestly think that a declining 33 yr old Vlasic is a better all-around defenseman than Justin Faulk. Perhaps if San Jose retains a bit? I am not sure about their cap situation. We could always buy Vlasic out in a year or two, or maybe expose him to Seattle? A trade like this still doesn't solve the situation regarding Pietrangelo, but we can still work on that. (Edit) He has an NMC, so we would have to protect him. Can the Blues choose not to honour the NMC if we trade for him?

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Actually, now I am really thinking about Faulk for Vlasic. It gives us more balance with Vlasic being a lefty, and I honestly think that a declining 33 yr old Vlasic is a better all-around defenseman than Justin Faulk. Perhaps if San Jose retains a bit? I am not sure about their cap situation. We could always buy Vlasic out in a year or two, or maybe expose him to Seattle? A trade like this still doesn't solve the situation regarding Pietrangelo, but we can still work on that. (Edit) He has an NMC, so we would have to protect him. Can the Blues choose not to honour the NMC if we trade for him?
Generally a NMC stays after a trade unless a player is traded before it kicks in(like Subban getting moved from Montreal to Nashville)

As for Vlasic in general, he fell off a cliff hard, especially defensively, since that new contract kicked in. And even trading Faulk for him would only save 1 year of term.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I'd hold off on trading Faulk if it simply becomes a pass-the-trash exercise where we take back someone else's garbage contract. San Jose is probably the one team even more ill-suited to acquire Faulk than STL, with having $20M tied up between Karlsson & Burns on the RHD for the next century or so. I think Army is going to end up sacrificing Blais or Sanford in order to get Seattle to take Faulk...then we'll see Kostin and Kyrou get more ice-time as a result.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Vlasic's contract is a poison pill. He is steep decline and paid 7 million for 6 more years. Pass on any scenario that results in him ending up in STL outside of him being bought out by SJ and signing for $2 million AAV for one year.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Guy in steep decline paid $7 mil until he’s 39 versus guy who is underperforming but still in his prime paid at $6.5 until he’s 35. How is this a debate?

I don't mind trading Faulk for a similar 'change of scenery-player' that has a similar age and caphit that would fit our team better though, but I agree, Vlasic isn't that.

Trading Faulk for Vlasic isn't just shooting yourself in the foot... it's shooting yourself in the foot with a grenade launcher.

BluesFan98

May 17, 2019
I know most people won't like it but what kind of young cost-controlled asset could a Schwartz and Dunn package bring us? I feel like we will have to lose a core piece going forward with upcoming raises and Schwartz seems like the most likely. The roster still looks really solid and you could be able to give Kostin a shot as well.

Schenn-Thomas-Tarasenko
Sanford-O'Reilly-Perron
Blais-Bozak-Kyrou
Steen-Barbashev-Sunny

Faulk-Petro
Scandella-Parayko
Perunovich/Mikkola-Bortz
Gunnar

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I know most people won't like it but what kind of young cost-controlled asset could a Schwartz and Dunn package bring us? I feel like we will have to lose a core piece going forward with upcoming raises and Schwartz seems like the most likely. The roster still looks really solid and you could be able to give Kostin a shot as well.

Most users on this forum aren't going to like this idea, but I understand where you're coming from. Due to Covid-19 a lot of teams will be cashstrapped and the salary cap will not go up the next couple of years. It got a lot harder to trade guys like Allen and Bozak, if there's even a chance to trade both, which I'm utterly sceptical about if we're not able to retain on both for quite a bit. There are some teams that might be interested in Allen if you attach Dunn to the deal (as we might have a hard time signing him to an extension anyway).

I'm more and more convinced that if we want to keep Petro AND be able to resign Parayko, Binnington, Thomas, Barbashev, Sanford and Kyrou next year we might have to make a move that will feel like a kick in the balls on the short term to secure we stay a contender on the long term. Steens 5.75 million and Bozaks 5 million coming off the books at the end of next season isn't going to be enough (I see Allen as a must trade this summer) and Faulk is untradeable at the moment (don't expect Seattle to pick him up either, even if we bribe them with our 2021 first). Trading Schwartz is a realistic possibility although the thought alone feels bad. However, Schwartz is a UFA in a year, he has stretches where he has trouble getting on the scoreboard and is injury prone.

Just to reiterate: I absolutely do not want to trade Schwartz, but due to how the hockey world changed after Covid-19, I wouldn't be surprised if we will HAVE to if we want to keep Petro and be able to sign our other players to improved deals.

- Allen + Dunn for a 1st + another pick or prospect*
- Schwartz for a 1st + another pick or prospect*
- Sign Petro to the 'Roman Josi-deal' (7x9 million)
-----------------------------------------------------------
This will leave us at aprox. 1.2 million under the cap.

At the end of next season the contracts of Bozak, Steen and Gunnarsson will come off the books (12 million-ish), so we have enough space to sign Parayko, Binnington, Thomas, Barbashev, Sanford and Kyrou to new and improved deals.

* (pick/prospect depends on the 1st)

Reactions: simon IC

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Schwartz is one of my favorite players, but I’m afraid it makes the sense to move him.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'd hold off on trading Faulk if it simply becomes a pass-the-trash exercise where we take back someone else's garbage contract. San Jose is probably the one team even more ill-suited to acquire Faulk than STL, with having $20M tied up between Karlsson & Burns on the RHD for the next century or so. I think Army is going to end up sacrificing Blais or Sanford in order to get Seattle to take Faulk...then we'll see Kostin and Kyrou get more ice-time as a result.
That would be a tough decision between giving up one of the two of them, but I'm hoping that Kostin will eventually become a more valuable than both. Still, Sanford was playing really well after starting to use his body and play a more physical game during that last weeks of the season. And, although Blais has plateaued some, he's still a valuable cog in the machine. I guess the choice would have to depend most upon how both of them play during the playoffs. My hope is that they both play very well, but Sanford is chosen to be kept (in that scenario) because, although both are effective in all areas of the ice when they are "on their game", Sanford produces significantly more scoring points. But, I'll be very curious how everyone will play, with so little preparation before the first series starts.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
What about moving tarasenko instead?
Trading your best offensive player -and one of the best goal scorers in the league- isn't something contending teams do. The window to win relies heavily on having Tarasenko and ROR only taking up a combined $15 million of cap over the next 3 years. There should be many options explored before trading Tarasenko is on the table (not to mention he has NTC that kicked in this year and for the remainder of his deal).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The only reason you move Tarasenko is if there is genuine belief that his shoulder will lead to a decline.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The only reason you move Tarasenko is if there is genuine belief that his shoulder will lead to a decline.
...or you think you've got enough depth/offense to score goals without 91. They did just win the West with him sidelined for the bulk of the season. If you can restock with next-generation talent and extend the Cup-window, it's worth considering.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
...or you think you've got enough depth/offense to score goals without 91. They did just win the West with him sidelined for the bulk of the season. If you can restock with next-generation talent and extend the Cup-window, it's worth considering.
Even with a strong regular season, I wouldn't say the Blues should be satisfied with their offense. They were 11th in total GF, but were middle of the pack (tied with EDM at 14th in GF/PG). That's with a lot going right -- the 3rd best PP in the league and multiple guys topping or near career highs; Sanford and Petro both set new highs while Parayko (tied) Schenn, Perron (both 3 off career highs) all were a good game or two away from setting new highs. Even last year, they only scored 5 more goals than they allowed in the postseason and 11 of their 16 wins were by 1 goal. I know the Blues aren't designed to be some high flying offense, but also I don't think they're in any position to subtract a guy who has been pretty much a lock for 30+ goals and 65+ points for 5 years and has scored 33 goals in 70 postseason games.

I'm not meaning to say under no circumstances should they trade Tarasenko, but I do think the set of circumstances would have to be so favorable to the Blues I don't see it being realistic.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
It comes down to who you think adds more to the team. I love Tarasenko, but he has had multiple shoulder surgeries, relies very heavily on one move to score (better on the rush then setting up 1 timers). Schwartz is a more complete player IMO.

Between the two, I would likely go with Schwartz due to receiving a larger package for Tarasenko and unknown long term effects on his shoulder. I think between the two, they will offer similar production. I don't see Tarasenko crossing the 40 goal mark. I think going forward, 25-30 goals is a good expectation. But I expect the same from Schwartz and JS is a turn over creating machine.

I am not saying we should be satisfied with our offense, but who do you feel will offer more in the future?

If we were looking at Tarasenko who came into the league and ran people over and played a more complete game, then I would keep him. But he hasn't been that player in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->