Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The value is there. It is a decent proposal, but I pass. It just doesn't make us a better team.

It is basically a deal if you guys decide to do a mini-rebuild or something of that nature. I am mostly going with some of the smoke that Kypreos started with as well on Saturday night but he's also pretty bad at this stuff.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
It is basically a deal if you guys decide to do a mini-rebuild or something of that nature. I am mostly going with some of the smoke that Kypreos started with as well on Saturday night but he's also pretty bad at this stuff.
Cool. For me, it is all about Pietrangelo's intentions. I have heard the rumours about Pietrangelo's ties to Toronto. He's from the area, he's friends with Tavares, etc. There was even a rumour that he wants to move his family there. This, however, is all unfounded speculation thus far. If it indeed becomes apparent that Pietrangelo has no intention of re-signing here, then a deal like you proposed is what I would want.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Zaitsev is horrible. 5 more years at 4.5? f*** that.

Johnson, Liljegren and a 1st is enticing. That Zaitsev deal? Not unless there's a 1st and Sandin added. That's a replacement level defenseman signed long term at a stupid price.

Even as a pure rental the Blues could do better than Zaitsev+1st+Liljegren and a conditional 1st. That Zaitsev contract is not helping us at all so why would he wanna help the Leafs upcoming cap problem? St. Louis could find a deal featuring the exact same pieces (in value) minus an albatross contract.

Reactions: SC29681

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Cool. For me, it is all about Pietrangelo's intentions. I have heard the rumours about Pietrangelo's ties to Toronto. He's from the area, he's friends with Tavares, etc. There was even a rumour that he wants to move his family there. This, however, is all unfounded speculation thus far. If it indeed becomes apparent that Pietrangelo has no intention of re-signing here, then a deal like you proposed is what I would want.

I know he is a King City boy (like 30-45 mins outside of Toronto, depending on how heavy your foot is) and loved Toronto growing up. That being said I know a lot of players that grew up Leaf fans and didn't find their way back here.

I think you could probably get away with only having Zaitsev around for a year or so and then could probably get him picked up by Seattle in the expansion draft.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
so we trade 2 # 1s and a below average nobody ..... for a solid player only to sell him the very next year ? ... :dunce: ... gtfo

this team sucks .... but thats moronic

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Pietrangelo and Parayko should be anchoring this defense for years. It would be EXTREMELY hard to upgrade there. Pietrangelo is still overall a top 10 defenseman in the league. Parayko is a good #2. Both have size, can skate, move the puck and defend well. What more can we ask for? I mean again, unless we're getting Doughty in return or Pietrangelo just flat out tells us he wants out, I don't see how it's possible to make a trade that helps us. And I don't see either of those things happening.

Unfortunately our left side just isn't developing that quick - Dunn is only effective offensively and Walman's future is in question. Bouwmeester is gone after the year and Gunnarsson probably is too. We need to add a top 4 LHD. A guy I've brought up before is Marco Scandella - Sabres fans seem to imply he'd be available. They need some scoring help so he could probably be had for a forward. He's 28 and has 1.5 years left at 4 mil. Not having a great year but not many of Buffalo's d-men are. He was a really solid defender in Minnesota.

Just using him as an example, you could roll:

Scandella-Pietrangelo
Edmundson-Parayko
Dunn-Bortuzzo/Schmaltz

That's a good defense. Get coaches in here who know what they're doing and that's a great unit. Much better than what it would look like if we moved Petro or Parayko and tried to rebuild it. Get 2 new goalies that don't completely suck and this team shouldn't have many problems keeping the puck out of the net. I know this last part is easier said than done but that's Armstrong's job. Find a damn goalie. Moving core pieces while keeping Allen is wrong.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
The value is there. It is a decent proposal, but I pass. It just doesn't make us a better team.
I would do it if Steen went with him so we could shed his salary and simultaneously add to the locker room drama conversation.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Leafs fan kind of dropping in...I know Colt55's thoughts on this already but think the Leafs would need to offer up something like this for Pietrangelo;

1st 2019
Conditional 2020 1st
Zaitsev (cap) - He's been "good" defensively but offense isn't there. He'll eat minutes until you have someone ready to take away 2nd pairing minutes from him
Liljegren

Condition would be that Pietrangelo re-signs with Toronto OR if the Leafs make the Eastern conference finals. I think that is a better package then some other higher end defenseman received and gets you guys someone in the pipeline to maybe come up behind Pietrangelo. I didn't see the appeal in forwards for you guys since you're fairly loaded up front right now and in the future too.

cheers.
That gets you Petro next year at the earliest.

Some may not want Nylander, but I'd want Nylander+prospect+1st.

If your deadset on attaching Z, then you're adding another 1st at the min.

If that's not on the table then take a stab at him in FA

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Leafs fan kind of dropping in...I know Colt55's thoughts on this already but think the Leafs would need to offer up something like this for Pietrangelo;

1st 2019
Conditional 2020 1st
Zaitsev (cap) - He's been "good" defensively but offense isn't there. He'll eat minutes until you have someone ready to take away 2nd pairing minutes from him
Liljegren

Condition would be that Pietrangelo re-signs with Toronto OR if the Leafs make the Eastern conference finals. I think that is a better package then some other higher end defenseman received and gets you guys someone in the pipeline to maybe come up behind Pietrangelo. I didn't see the appeal in forwards for you guys since you're fairly loaded up front right now and in the future too.

cheers.

Its a rebuilding package, and not a very good one, with a 6 year cap dump attached. We aren't rebuilding. We don't want to carry Zaitsev for 6 years. I wouldn't take him and the first for future considerations. No thanks.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I'd really like to get Sergachev or McDonaugh. TB is in a position to move some forward contracts as well.
Tampa is in first and I don’t see them moving any of the forwards. Cap relief would be of value to them and an anchor on the right side. Have to be a cup favorite and Petro could put them there

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Ok, I’ve never seen a team rebuild in this manner but it’s definitely out of the box thinking. This only happens if the organization embraces a full rebuild.

The plan would be to trade key players to teams trying to turn a corner and therefore getting a higher 1st round pick. Stockpiling 1st round picks is the key but it doesn’t work if they’re all at the end of the round.

I won’t try to disclose full details of a trade. I’m trying rather to pair up Blues players that would return 1st’s from teams with needs of said player while also making sure that team isn’t a contender (with one exception).

Pietrangelo to Islanders for currently 14th overall. I’d try to get them to add the 2020 1st or possibly Bellows.

Tarasenko to New Jersey for currently 4th overall. Tarasenko holds a ton of value and he’s definitely the winger New Jersey needs. Do they part with 4th overall? Possibly.

Schenn to Montreal for currently 20th overall. Montreal is desperate for center help and I’m guessing they finish closer to 15th worst than 20th.

Try to take Callahan as a cap dump in return for their 1st which is currently 31st.

The Blues keep their own pick which is currently 3rd overall.

Steen + Maroon + possible pick to Vegas for their 1st which is currently 18th overall.

Blues wind up with the following picks and possible players

3rd = Alexander Newhook C
4th = Bowen Byram LHD
14th = Anttoni Honka RHD
18th = Arthur Kaliyev LW
20th = Matthew Robertson. LHD
31st =. Philip Broberg LHD

34th = Mikko Kokkonen LHD. for @Ranksu

Based on in part fromThe Draft Analyst as to what player is at least available, not necessarily who they have slotted at the specific rank.

Next year the Blues would definitely have cap space to make a run at Bobrovsky if they desired.

Obviously it’s impossible to say for sure who’s going to be available and where the different team’s picks will wind up. The question is would you be willing to part with Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, and Schenn in an all out rebuild if this is the sort of return one could expect?

Last edited:

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I’ll bring up a smallball trade I mentioned in the summer, because I don’t think anything that happened since has made it less of a fit.

Jordan Schmaltz for Slater Koekkoek.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Ok, I’ve never seen a team rebuild in this manner but it’s definitely out of the box thinking. This only happens if the organization embraces a full rebuild.

The plan would be to trade key players to teams trying to turn a corner and therefore getting a higher 1st round pick. Stockpiling 1st round picks is the key but it doesn’t work if they’re all at the end of the round.

I won’t try to disclose full details of a trade. I’m trying rather to pair up Blues players that would return 1st’s from teams with needs of said player while also making sure that team isn’t a contender (with one exception).

Pietrangelo to Islanders for currently 14th overall. I’d try to get them to add the 2020 1st or possibly Bellows.

Tarasenko to New Jersey for currently 4th overall. Tarasenko holds a ton of value and he’s definitely the winger New Jersey needs. Do they part with 4th overall? Possibly.

Schenn to Montreal for currently 20th overall. Montreal is desperate for center help and I’m guessing they finish closer to 15th worst than 20th.

Try to take Callahan as a cap dump in return for their 1st which is currently 31st.

Steen + Maroon + possible pick to Vegas for their 1st which is currently 18th overall.

4th = Bowen Byram LHD
14th = Anttoni Honka RHD
18th = Arthur Kaliyev LW

Based on in part of The Draft Analyst as to what player is at least available, not necessarily who they have slotted at the specific rank.

Next year the Blues would definitely have cap space to make a run at Bobrovsky if they desired.

Obviously it’s impossible to say for sure who’s going to be available and where the different team’s picks will wind up. The question is would you be willing to part with Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, and Schenn in an all out rebuild if this is the sort of return one could expect?
Trading core players for late 1sts is recipe for disaster. You better be getting multiple other assets back from those teams too or not only will we be terrible now, we will be for several years.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I’ll bring up a smallball trade I mentioned in the summer, because I don’t think anything that happened since has made it less of a fit.

Jordan Schmaltz for Slater Koekkoek.
The value is there, in a vacuum I would do this in a heartbeat. The problem is Koekkoek is a lefty. He would be behind Edmundson and Dunn, and fighting with Bouwmeester and Gunnersson for a spot this year. Next year he has to compete with Mikkola, Walman and Perunovich. Without Schmaltz, if one of Pietrangelo, Parayko and Bortuzzo get hurt, there is nobody to fill in.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I just want to be clear that I am in no way in favour of trading Alex Pietrangelo. I have been active in discussions on this thread and on the trade boards with Leaf fans as to what kind of package I would accept for our star defenseman, but this is only in the event that Pietrangelo will not re-sign in St. Louis. Call it a contingency plan. :) I have to admit, the rumours of Pietrangelo's ties to that organization make me nervous. He grew up there, he's friends with Tavares, etc., etc.. If I were Doug Armstrong, I would start negotiations about an extension with Pietrangelo now. I really, really don't want to see a Shattenkirk situation develop with our Captain.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I just want to be clear that I am in no way in favour of trading Alex Pietrangelo. I have been active in discussions on this thread and on the trade boards with Leaf fans as to what kind of package I would accept for our star defenseman, but this is only in the event that Pietrangelo will not re-sign in St. Louis. Call it a contingency plan. :) I have to admit, the rumours of Pietrangelo's ties to that organization make me nervous. He grew up there, he's friends with Tavares, etc., etc.. If I were Doug Armstrong, I would start negotiations about an extension with Pietrangelo now. I really, really don't want to see a Shattenkirk situation develop with our Captain.
There are no ties to the organization. He's simply from the area. Lots of guys are. He's not even the only one on the Blues that is from the area. There are so many players from the Toronto area, and most of them don't end up there. It's not nearly as concerning as people make it out to be. Shattenkirk has always been vocal about being a Rangers fan and wanting to play there some day. Maybe I've missed it but I haven't seen comments like that from Pietrangelo regarding the Leafs. Pietrangelo also has more ties to the STL area than Shattenkirk did (being drafted here, named captain, meeting his wife, having kids, spending the summers working out here). Shattenkirk had none of those that I just listed.

Also, regarding Tavares... Pietrangelo should tell him to f*** off if he tries recruiting him. Tavares didn't give the Blues the time of day in the offseason when I'm sure Petro reached out to him. So Alex should return the favor to him.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

Personally I'm warming up to the idea of trading Brayden Schenn. He only has 1.5 years left on his contract and contrary to Pietrangelo I feel there is literally no chance he will resign in St. Louis when his contract expires. As soon as the Blues officially pull the plug on this season (haven't we already?) we could trade him to regain at least some of our assets. Even if we bounce back next season, I'd rather trade him this season then having another Stastny situation.

As Spektre mentioned: Montreal seem like a good tradingpartner. I'd start with asking for a first + (a) good prospect(s). Suzuki or Brooks would be awesome, Poehling, Ylonen and Fleury would probably be more realistic...

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Personally I'm warming up to the idea of trading Brayden Schenn. He only has 1.5 years left on his contract and contrary to Pietrangelo I feel there is literally no chance he will resign in St. Louis when his contract expires. As soon as the Blues officially pull the plug on this season (haven't we already?) we could trade him to regain at least some of our assets. Even if we bounce back next season, I'd rather trade him this season then having another Stastny situation.

As Spektre mentioned: Montreal seem like a good tradingpartner. I'd start with asking for a first + (a) good prospect(s). Suzuki or Brooks would be awesome, Poehling, Ylonen and Fleury would probably be more realistic...
Olofsson and Ylonen would be my pick. I don’t see brook or Suzuki being moved

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

4th = Bowen Byram LHD
14th = Anttoni Honka RHD
18th = Arthur Kaliyev LW

Based on in part of The Draft Analyst as to what player is at least available, not necessarily who they have slotted at the specific rank.

What is the point of signing a 30+ Bobrovsky when you've absolutely gutted your competitive core and you won't be sniffing the playoffs for the next 3-5 years?

Bobrovsky is the guy you go after if you don't trade Pietrangelo, Tarasenko, Schenn, etc.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I really hope we keep and extend Schenn. He's one of the few we have that has the grit to his game, but also plays the style of the new NHL and can carry the pucks in. Unfortunately, he's probably the easiest to move with his contract situation and also having internal replacements with Thomas and Bozak signed longer.

If Army does an Oshie type move, I hope it's to bring in a similar type of player, even at a downgrade. Maybe with Columbus with Jenner+, since they might want a piece like Schenn if Panarin leaves in the summer.

I'd also be intrigued if Tampa is serious about moving Miller if they need to cut cap. Obviously, that would be a separate move.

Last edited:

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Trade the face of the franchise for the next face, and although we would have to include Parayko, a future RD replacement with upside would be coming back in the same deal:

Tarasenko and Parayko

for

Draisaitl and Bouchard

Draisaitl is the type of superstar this team needs. It would be nice for him to lead his own franchise and get out from under McDavids shadow. He is that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->