Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Kapanen has looked really good this year
He's playing like a 20 goal, 50 point guy who happens to be shooting 19% for 30 games.

He's a middle-six guy.

Right now Liljegren is closer to being a better version of Vince Dunn than he is to being a Pietrangelo level player. That's a good player to have in the system, but he's far from a lock to be a first pairing guy.

Zaitsev is a cap dump, pure and simple. Adding him to the deal is not doing the Blues a favor. He shouldn't be in a contender's top 4, and that contract is something that no team pushing close to the cap ceiling wants on their books. If Toronto needs to move him to make the trade work, the Blues should make them move him somewhere else.

The first is going to be a very late first. Yay.

You're solving big two problems for Toronto and getting a middle six guy, a good prospect, and a late first. Lesser players than Pietrangelo have gotten better returns at the trade deadline without the long-term cap dump rider attached coming back.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I'm warming up to the idea of trading Tarasenko. I'd want at minimum two 1sts-plus.
I keep coming back to Buffalo for the Blues 1st back, and another one that they own. Or the Rangers, for their 1sts in '19 & '20. That would almost assuredly be enough to get Panarin to come to NYR as a UFA as well, right?

Sure, you never want to be the team trading top-talent, and Tarasenko has proven to be a 40-goal scorer in the NHL. But with the depth up-front, his loss would be easier to overcome than, say Pietrangelo's or Parayko's. He's actually been getting high praise on most of the National broadcasts for his effort and willingness to put his body on the line. But as Schenn alluded to, he's a guy that is prone to free-lancing on his own natural talent and not necessarily putting himself in situations where his teammates would expect him to be if he's adhering to his coach's system. His goal totals have slowly trended down, and if you can get value for a guy who might help the rest of the team stay disciplined, that may very well be a shake-up trade from which you can come out better.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
He's playing like a 20 goal, 50 point guy who happens to be shooting 19% for 30 games.

He's a middle-six guy.

Right now Liljegren is closer to being a better version of Vince Dunn than he is to being a Pietrangelo level player. That's a good player to have in the system, but he's far from a lock to be a first pairing guy.

Zaitsev is a cap dump, pure and simple. Adding him to the deal is not doing the Blues a favor. He shouldn't be in a contender's top 4, and that contract is something that no team pushing close to the cap ceiling wants on their books. If Toronto needs to move him to make the trade work, the Blues should make them move him somewhere else.

You're solving big two problems for Toronto and getting a middle six guy, a good prospect, and a late first. Lesser players than Pietrangelo have gotten better returns at the trade deadline without the long-term cap dump rider attached coming back.
Yeah but Petro doesn't fight enough

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

He's a middle-six guy.

Fair enough, I know he’s still pretty young so I figured his ceiling was rising.

Also on Lilegren, I thought he was more highly rated than that? In that case I lessen my okayness to this deal.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Fair enough, I know he’s still pretty young so I figured his ceiling was rising.

Also on Lilegren, I thought he was more highly rated than that? In that case I lessen my okayness to this deal.
He's highly rated because he has some high end offensive skills. The rest of his game is still very much a work in progress.

Kyrou would be a good example on the Blues. He has some high end offensive skills as well, and is highly rated because of them. Is he a lock to ever be as good as someone like Schwartz, or even to be an impact player in the next year or so? Would you hesitate to part with Kyrou to get someone like Stone if he wasn't a rental and you thought he might stick around long-term?

Every team would love to have Kyrou in their system. Most teams, especially teams with thoughts of contending in the short-term, likely aren't looking to move one of their best players to get him, though.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
See's the red dot on the bell.

Clicks.

Sees we're discussing Petro for garbage, Tarasenko for the hell of it, and Parayko because reasons.

*Grandpa Simpson enters and leaves*

Reactions: IcePhoenix

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
The biggest indictment of Petro is he seems really dependent on who his partner is and how they perform. I feel like truly elite D-men elevate whoever is playing with them, or at least don't let it affect their own play. For that reason alone, I'd consider moving him.

Reactions: SC29681

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
The biggest indictment of Petro is he seems really dependent on who his partner is and how they perform. I feel like truly elite D-men elevate whoever is playing with them, or at least don't let it affect their own play. For that reason alone, I'd consider moving him.

Well when your d partner has about 0 offensive ability outside of slap passing off the boards at about 10 mph typically 5 feet wide, it’s going to be hard to elevate that.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Petro looked amazing with Coloaiacovo. Petro is not a problem on this roster - the coaching is.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
If I was in charge I would listen to offers on Petro but only move him if something blows me away. Outside of O'Reilly and prospects nobody should be safe right now.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I still REALLY like NYI as trading partners. They have a plethora of great prospects. If im the Blues and looking to make a change, I'd be looking to grab a few 1st or 2nd year prospects with high upside, as opposed to picks+. I think if you trade ONE of Pie, Tank, Parayko, for guys that will be ready within the next 2 years, along with the fact that Thomas, Kyrou, and the rest of the kids will be further along. This team could have a quick turn around. I still don't think we need a full rebuild, just take one step back and then in 2 years we make the giant leap forward.

Adding a top-10 pick next year (our own pick) along with 2 or so top 50 prosepects (via trade), and keeping the majority of our mid 20s players, we could be successful sooner than later.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Petro looked amazing with Coloaiacovo. Petro is not a problem on this roster - the coaching is.
This is my thoughts as well. There is nothing about the Yeo/Berube clown show that strikes me as good. Berube got them to throw their weight around but the breakouts are brutal and the ozone strategy is non existent.

Army has waited too long to cut bait with the coaching. I know he will never throw the coaching under the bus but this has been a massive failure. He shotgun'd his great offseason moves.

So now here's how I see things

A. The coach he wants is not interested....idk if thats good or not given how bad the Yeo choice was.

B. He still has no idea who he wants

C. He has his guy and there is mutual interest, but the Blues are so far in the hole, realistically this season is done and we need to sell....maybe he doesn't want to blow a top 10 pick

As the top 10 pick is concerned....the Hughes/Kakko dream just doesnt excite me all that much. After seeing Mcdavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine, and Dahlin. I feel we're going to get the Hisher/Patrick treatment. Goodplayers, but not franchise shifting players

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
This is my thoughts as well. There is nothing about the Yeo/Berube clown show that strikes me as good. Berube got them to throw their weight around but the breakouts are brutal and the ozone strategy is non existent.

Army has waited too long to cut bait with the coaching. I know he will never throw the coaching under the bus but this has been a massive failure. He shotgun'd his great offseason moves.

So now here's how I see things

A. The coach he wants is not interested....idk if thats good or not given how bad the Yeo choice was.

B. He still has no idea who he wants

C. He has his guy and there is mutual interest, but the Blues are so far in the hole, realistically this season is done and we need to sell....maybe he doesn't want to blow a top 10 pick

As the top 10 pick is concerned....the Hughes/Kakko dream just doesnt excite me all that much. After seeing Mcdavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine, and Dahlin. I feel we're going to get the Hisher/Patrick treatment. Goodplayers, but not franchise shifting players

Hughes/Kakko/Cozens/Dach would probably be our best player soon.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Tank Parayko and Allen
for
Dubois Jones and Bob

Maybe convince CLM they need Tank to retain the Bread man.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

He's a middle-six guy.

Leafs fan kind of dropping in...I know Colt55's thoughts on this already but think the Leafs would need to offer up something like this for Pietrangelo;

1st 2019
Conditional 2020 1st
Zaitsev (cap) - He's been "good" defensively but offense isn't there. He'll eat minutes until you have someone ready to take away 2nd pairing minutes from him
Liljegren

Condition would be that Pietrangelo re-signs with Toronto OR if the Leafs make the Eastern conference finals. I think that is a better package then some other higher end defenseman received and gets you guys someone in the pipeline to maybe come up behind Pietrangelo. I didn't see the appeal in forwards for you guys since you're fairly loaded up front right now and in the future too.

cheers.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
If Matthews and Marner are truly untouchable, (and I have little doubt that this is the case), there is NOBODY that interests me on the TML in a trade for Pietrangelo or Parayko, unless it is a certainty that Pietrangelo will not re-sign in St. Louis. No roster player and no prospect. Not interested in Liljegren, Sandin, Johnsson, Kapanen or Bracco. Not interested in Gardiner or Kadri. Especially not interested in William freakin' Nylander. If I hear on the news the Blues have made a trade with the Leafs involving either of our stud D I will despair, because I know it can't be a good trade.

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Leafs fan kind of dropping in...I know Colt55's thoughts on this already but think the Leafs would need to offer up something like this for Pietrangelo;

1st 2019
Conditional 2020 1st
Zaitsev (cap) - He's been "good" defensively but offense isn't there. He'll eat minutes until you have someone ready to take away 2nd pairing minutes from him
Liljegren

Condition would be that Pietrangelo re-signs with Toronto OR if the Leafs make the Eastern conference finals. I think that is a better package then some other higher end defenseman received and gets you guys someone in the pipeline to maybe come up behind Pietrangelo. I didn't see the appeal in forwards for you guys since you're fairly loaded up front right now and in the future too.

cheers.
The value is there. It is a decent proposal, but I pass. It just doesn't make us a better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->