Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I don't want to see Schenn moved until we have some sort of idea about his level of interest in re-signing. However, if we're on the cusp of a minor rebuild maybe he doesn't want to stick around for the dog days and essentially waste his prime with no real shot of winning.
I've taken some heat on this board lately for offering mere conjecture about the level of interest some of these players have about continuing their career with this organization.
Maybe there is a cancer/rift in the locker room like others have suggested that can be fixed by making one or two moves that don't require us throwing out major components moving forward.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Trade someone like Steen or Edmundson. Don't trade the players the team should be built around.

ROR, Tarasenko, Schenn, Schwartz, Parayko, Pietrangelo should all stick around. They're players that I doubt we'd get the value we desire back for them. Steen has been a "core player" for so long I think he's probably the best target to move for the team to "shake things up." I imagine he'd be worth a first if a playoff team wanted him and the Blues were willing to eat some salary for him. I really think the "shake-up" trade is a pretty poor idea, look at how Winnipeg has been doing well by maintaining the course for years. We've got a core that will age pretty decently, now to put some complementary players in the line up and fix the things we need to fix with free agents and prospects.
You build teams around 2-4 players, not half a roster. Our list is Pietrangelo, Tarasenko and ROR. Assuming that we are confident that Pietrangelo is here long term.

Nobody is saying we need to move each of Schwartz, Schenn and Parayko, but we absolutely need to be listening to offers on them. I don’t think we can be confident that we are going to get better by shuffling our bottom-6 players.

Would we get the value desired? The market dictates the value. The market for Parayko would be huge.

We should be looking at moving Steen, but that’s more about going in another direction rather than getting something back that is going to help us.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
That's not important, the important thing is we traded someone just for the hell of it and that will lead to immediate success.

Right? I understand that a trade could be something that we really need. But in doing so I think if we do trade somebody it needs to be a big enough shake to the locker room to make a difference. And in doing so we more than likely need to bring somebody back who fills the role who could use a change in scenery.

My top candidates to be traded would be pretty much any of the forwards outside of ROR, Perron, Maroon, Bozak and most of the young guys. I know that is sort of an odd list but I would find most of those guys, maybe outside of perron really do not have much of an impact of the locker room dynamic. If they do it hasn't been a long enough impact to justify it being a shake up. If we are to trade a defenseman I would probably imagine it would be for a pick, meaning it more than likely wouldn't be any of Pietro, Parayko, Eddy, Dunn. The main players that would cause a shake up in my opinion would be Schwartz/Tarasenko/Steen/Pietro. And I would assume they would be the main candidates to be traded in more of a hockey deal as opposed to a re-tool/rebuild trade.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
You build teams around 2-4 players, not half a roster. Our list is Pietrangelo, Tarasenko and ROR. Assuming that we are confident that Pietrangelo is here long term.

Nobody is saying we need to move each of Schwartz, Schenn and Parayko, but we absolutely need to be listening to offers on them. I don’t think we can be confident that we are going to get better by shuffling our bottom-6 players.

Would we get the value desired? The market dictates the value. The market for Parayko would be huge.

We should be looking at moving Steen, but that’s more about going in another direction rather than getting something back that is going to help us.

The "Core" will be 30+ by the time that the team is able to replace a majority of the players that I mentioned. The best move for the team right now is to ride it out, get to the off season, sign a goaltender and some left handed offense, and see how their pick turns out. You're not saving this season (and would it even be worthwhile to?) and the best way to "shake up" the team is to move aging members of the team.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Schenn wouldn’t be missed?

That’s certainly an interesting take.
Maybe "won't be missed" is somewhat of an extreme and not how I should've phrased it but of all the more productive players we have, he's the least important.

I wouldn't even really look to deal Schenn at least not at this point. I'd move out Bozak, let the deadweight UFA's walk or get whatever you can for them, and start to fill those voids with players who can actually be effective. Bring in guys who can add something to the bottom six and aren't completely useless. Goaltending is an obvious fix.

Bring in a proper coaching staff that'll utilize our best assets and see what happens.

But for some reason with losing people believe you need a shakeup trade. I mean after the success Montreal and Edmonton have had since June 2016, I guess I can't blame them.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Trade someone like Steen or Edmundson. Don't trade the players the team should be built around.

ROR, Tarasenko, Schenn, Schwartz, Parayko, Pietrangelo should all stick around. They're players that I doubt we'd get the value we desire back for them. Steen has been a "core player" for so long I think he's probably the best target to move for the team to "shake things up." I imagine he'd be worth a first if a playoff team wanted him and the Blues were willing to eat some salary for him. I really think the "shake-up" trade is a pretty poor idea, look at how Winnipeg has been doing well by maintaining the course for years. We've got a core that will age pretty decently, now to put some complementary players in the line up and fix the things we need to fix with free agents and prospects.

We are cream puff soft, Edmundson is one of the last players id trade.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Players id move as soon as possible

Steen
Bozak
Perron
JBo
Gunnar

I wouldn’t even ask for anything in return, just please take them and their salaries.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd kick Puljujarvi back and take Tyler Benson instead. I'd also hold out for the 1st. I might be talked into letting that be lottery-protected if you'll kick in an additional pick if we have to wait until 2020 to get it.

Fellow Blues fans: trade proposals that turn into "give us 3 pounds of flesh" are unrealistic. It's supposed to be a semi-equivalent swap of assets, not "we're going to bend you over and put a bit in your teeth, and we want to see you smile the entire time." Make your expectations reasonable, don't set the bar so freaking high that you're never going to get an acceptable offer - especially when you say "we gotta move some pieces, pretty much everyone is available, let me know what you're offering." If 3/4 of the guys you're thinking of moving come with "only serious bidders willing to pay nosebleed prices apply" price tags, you're not that serious about moving guys in the first place.

Every team's fans do this, and I have yet to understand why other than "we overvalue our guys" along with "no one else appreciates the values our guys really have." When the market is telling you what the offer price is, take note; no asset is worth any more than what someone else is willing to pay for it.
So Tyler Benson, Ethan Bear and a maybe a 1st for Parayko?

Payrako is a guy you ask the moon for and dont take an Oshie return on.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
If I owned this team the last guy I'd want to turn a major trade with would be Army. Our owner is major league cautious and that's ok. I can't imagine he is not at some level involved with a major trade decision. Maybe we do nothing until he finds a suitable GM replacement. The new coach is probably going to happen after the season(s) is over. This is not something that happens as a knee jurk reaction. We have to put a decent product on the ice now. Moving large pieces now isn't in the picture unless a trade deadline is insanely offered. Cancer or no cancer.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
So Tyler Benson, Ethan Bear and a maybe a 1st for Parayko?

Payrako is a guy you ask the moon for and dont take an Oshie return on.

I truly don’t see the point of moving CP. Getting a much of blah and late first rounds is silly.

I have zero interest in a Yamamoto/MPS 2.0 trade neither add anything of value that we don’t already have.

Not familiar with Benson or Bear. But unless either look to have top pairing potential on the right side... I see no reasons to make a trade.

It is like getting Kap from the Leafs. A second line right winger, something that doesn’t add much to what we already have, a late pick In the first... why?

For our Second best dman. This is the kind of trade that makes us worse now and the pieces we are adding do very little for us in the future........ just a bunch of maybes... We become a team that is stuck in the 8-14 range of mediocrity. Never bad enough to get a difference maker and not good enough to be a threat in the playoffs.

The grass isn’t always greener and no reason to make a move because we lost patience.

Reactions: TK 421 and simon IC

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
If the Blues need a leadership mix up, trade Steen. You can trade Dunn or Edmundson, Bortuzzo, Schmaltz, Gunnarson if you want to shake things up. it's frustrating to keep saying but THE CORE IS FINE. This isn't a team that is lacking in NHL caliber players, it's lacking in coaching and defense (and usually goaltending).

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Craig Anderson mentioned on the mains. One more year after this, 37 yrs old. Just under half a mil cap more than Allen. He had a good playoff run two years ago. I would do it! We might have to add a bit. (B prospect). And then hope to hell one of our G prospects pans out!

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Craig Anderson mentioned on the mains. One more year after this, 37 yrs old. Just under half a mil cap more than Allen. He had a good playoff run two years ago. I would do it! We might have to add a bit. (B prospect). And then hope to hell one of our G prospects pans out!

It's not a bad idea, perhaps one of the few realistic goalie options out there right now. I feel like Anderson has often overachieved on bad teams, and has faced a ton of shots per game most years. The Sens are one of the few teams that might be willing to take a gamble on Allen as a young, relatively cheap starter since they are in re-build mode.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Kypreos mentioned that Toronto is trying to get Petro, and said we’d have to take back Zaitsev but we’d also be getting multiple young players and a pick.

I think I’d do Kapanen+Zaitsev+Lilegren+1st, even if he had to extend with them(he would) to do it.

At that point trade Steen+Gunnar(50% retained)+Walman for a legit LHD upgrade, and get whatever you can for JBo.

Schwartz-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Perron-Thomas-Schenn
Fabbri-Bozak-Kapanen
Maroon-Barbashev-Sanford/Sundqvist

Edmundson-Parayko
TBD-Zaitsev
Dunn-Bortuzzo
Schmaltz

Wouldn’t be surprised to see one of Schenn/Bozak traded in the offseason too, to make room for Kyrou next year. Preferably Bozak unless Schenn won’t re-sign.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Kypreos mentioned that Toronto is trying to get Petro, and said we’d have to take back Zaitsev but we’d also be getting multiple young players and a pick.

I think I’d do Kapanen+Zaitsev+Lilegren+1st, even if he had to extend with them(he would) to do it.

At that point trade Steen+Gunnar(50% retained)+Walman for a legit LHD upgrade, and get whatever you can for JBo.

Perron-Thomas-Schenn
Fabbri-Bozak-Kapanen

Edmundson-Parayko
TBD-Zaitsev
Dunn-Bortuzzo
Schmaltz

Wouldn’t be surprised to see one of Schenn/Bozak traded in the offseason too, to make room for Kyrou next year. Preferably Bozak unless Schenn won’t re-sign.

This really could be the perfect time to move Petro. I don’t know enough about the Leafs players, but it would be worth a look.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Perron-Thomas-Schenn
Fabbri-Bozak-Kapanen

Edmundson-Parayko
TBD-Zaitsev
Dunn-Bortuzzo
Schmaltz

f*** no......Kapanen is a 3rd line, 2nd line tweener.

Won't get into the crap dump in Zaitsev

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Perron-Thomas-Schenn
Fabbri-Bozak-Kapanen

Edmundson-Parayko
TBD-Zaitsev
Dunn-Bortuzzo
Schmaltz

That's the type of package that I consider for Parayko. It doesn't move the needle for Pietrangelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->