Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I guess I don’t understand the conversation around Tarasenko in here. Would I trade him for someone younger and better? Of course. But there’s not one single player on the team that doesn’t apply to.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Swear to god if you even try to make Tarasenko the whipping boy to replace Berglund than you should post on facebook rather than here.
I don't think you need to worry. Maroon, or possibly Bozak will fill that role way before Tarasenko. :)

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
We can debate about trading Tarasenko, but there only a handful players that are better than Tarasenko that are much younger and cost controlled that will invariably make this team better. Laine, Matthews, Eichel, and McDavid. How many of those are going to get? None. If you trade for someone just below Tarasenko on skill like a Nylander or Marner, sure you get a younger and theoretically cost controlled player, but how long till they are as good or better than Tarasenko? Do they even become better than him? What a guy like Svechnikov, will he be as good or better than Vova?

These are questions I don't feel like answering with a trade, nor do I want to wait the amount of time it could take to find out those answers. We already have one of the best goalscorers in the league, who is arguably as good of a passer, and is a franchise winger. Why even make a trade when you already have what you're looking for?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Well when your head coach goes and whines to the media that he can't sacrifice ice time from Tarasenko to give anyone else ice time, that gives off the impression that Yeo either
A) doesn't have the confidence to stand up to Tarasenko, like he should be doing.
Or
B) he's very incompetent at managing his players and simply can't handle them properly

At this point, it seems like both. As a coach, you don't have to be friends with the players. In fact, it's probably a good thing if they hate you.

Either way the point is, Yeo isn't doing his job properly. Tarasenko or not, EVERYBODY should receive coaching instruction.

Trading Tarasenko will only hurt the organization and I guarantee you if DA doesn't get the Blues at least into the playoffs and starts selling more assets, he's gone.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
There’s nobody in the league you would trade Tarasenko for? You act like I said I would trade him for a downgrade. I’m only trading him if the player fits the type of player that I outlined originally.
If you want to improve upon Tarasenko, then the Blues are trading more than Tarasenko to do it. If the Blues are only trading Tarasenko, then the Blues are not improving because the player(s) traded for are either equal or, more likely, worse.

So again, trading Tarasenko and getting better are incongruous. It’s the same thing with trading Pietrangelo. Sure, there are players that are better. The problem is, that list isn’t very big. The players that are better than either are players that make no sense trading for because the Blues would have to add something else that would hurt to make it happen, or even have the other team consider it. This isn’t me being obstinate to the idea of change, or even being some homer. It’s just that a trade of Tarasenko isn’t practical unless the Blues are okay with becoming worse in some way. Could the Blues end up better? Sure, some time later in the future if the Blues traded for multiple 1sts from a team like Ottawa. But that’s an incredible gamble even if itself.

This is why trading Tarasenko or Pietrangelo are ideas that I find ridiculous. Neither are immune from criticism, but both are top players in the league.

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If you want to improve upon Tarasenko, then the Blues are trading more than Tarasenko to do it. If the Blues are only trading Tarasenko, then the Blues are not improving because the player(s) traded for are either equal or, more likely, worse.

So again, trading Tarasenko and getting better are incongruous. It’s the same thing with trading Pietrangelo. Sure, there are better players that are better. The problem is, that list isn’t very big. The players that are better than either are players that make no sense trading for because the Blues would have to add something else that would hurt to make it happen, or even have the other team consider it. This isn’t me being obstinate to the idea of change, or even being some homer. It’s just that a trade of Tarasenko isn’t practical unless the Blues are okay with becoming worse in some way. Could the Blues end up better? Sure, some time later in the future if the Blues traded for multiple 1sts from a team like Ottawa. But that’s an incredible gamble even if itself.

This is why trading Tarasenko or Pietrangelo are ideas that I find ridiculous. Neither are immune from criticism, but both are top players in the league.

I’m not ready to trade him now, i first want to see the top line with Tarasenko, ROR and Fabbri on it. But when im ready to deal him, if you give me a player that can score 30, play great 2 way hockey, is tenacious, id build a team around those types. I like Tarasenko, this isnt meant to bash him at all, I just would move him for a certain type of player that I feel you could win with. I love gritty, hard nosed players that will knock you on your ass. Don’t forget, 30G scorer was a factor too.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I’m not ready to trade him now, i first want to see the top line with Tarasenko, ROR and Fabbri on it. But when im ready to deal him, if you give me a player that can score 30, play great 2 way hockey, is tenacious, id build a team around those types. I like Tarasenko, this isnt meant to bash him at all, I just would move him for a certain type of player that I feel you could win with. I love gritty, hard nosed players that will knock you on your ass. Don’t forget, 30G scorer was a factor too.
Ok but of the 30 goal scorers from last year, how many of those actually play the way you describe, 2-way play, tenacious, knocks people on their ass? It's probably less than 5

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Ok but of the 30 goal scorers from last year, how many of those actually play the way you describe, 2-way play, tenacious, knocks people on their ass? It's probably less than 5

I miss the Keith Tkachuk, Shanny, Rick Toccet, Lindros, prime Backes types of players.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I miss the Keith Tkachuk, Shanny, Rick Toccet, Lindros, prime Backes types of players.
I think most fans of the sport miss the times where guys who were heart and soul guys were also point leaders, but that's increasingly harder to come by because of the style of play of today's game. I'd say Jamie Benn is a tenacious and feisty leader who obviously puts up points, but I can't think of anyone who is a good 2-way player, tenacious, feisty, and can score 60+ points.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I think most fans of the sport miss the times where guys who were heart and soul guys were also point leaders, but that's increasingly harder to come by because of the style of play of today's game. I'd say Jamie Benn is a tenacious and feisty leader who obviously puts up points, but I can't think of anyone who is a good 2-way player, tenacious, feisty, and can score 60+ points.
Drew Doughty.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

Wheeler
Landeskog
Ovy
The slime ball in LA
Getzlaf

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Wheeler
Landeskog
Ovy
The slime ball in LA
Getzlaf
Well, I will start by saying that you did answer his point about not coming up with anyone besides Benn. Still, I can't help but notice that there are 372 Top-12 forwards in the NHL, so I don't think expanding the list from 1 to 6 is making the point you might be thinking it does. Maybe I'm just a little tone deaf here and mis-read your point, and if I did then I apologize.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Wheeler
Landeskog
Ovy
The slime ball in LA
Getzlaf
This is not my criteria because I don't believe you trade Tarasenko, however, in that list only Getzlaf and Ovie have scored 30, and Getzlaf hasn't done it in 5 years. My point is that it's so incredibly hard to find players that score 30, play a 2-way game, is tenacious, and is an asshole to play against. This is why the conversation on trading Tarasenko is a bit ridiculous.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I'm not out of the idea of trading Tarasenko if it truly makes us better. Obviously that list is short but it's still there. I just think he needs a new coach. He was fine under Hitch and I think he would thrive under someone like AV.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
No one is out of the question when it comes to trades. It merely comes down to what you get in return. We aren't getting anything in return for Tarasenko that is any better than Tarasenko. I also don't think Tarasenko is doing as badly as some apparently think he is. I've seen a lot of other things out of him that he's not really been known for prior to this year. He looks more engaged, he's hitting, and he's been a more complete looking player away from the puck. Hell, he's even potted a couple of goals. More of which I'm sure will come once the team gets some sort of chemistry and structure down.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
This is not my criteria because I don't believe you trade Tarasenko, however, in that list only Getzlaf and Ovie have scored 30, and Getzlaf hasn't done it in 5 years. My point is that it's so incredibly hard to find players that score 30, play a 2-way game, is tenacious, and is an ******* to play against. This is why the conversation on trading Tarasenko is a bit ridiculous.

Would you trade Tarasenko for a prime Backes?

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Would you trade Tarasenko for a prime Backes?
No, I personally do not. Backes in his prime was really good and put up 60 points and yes, played good defense. I think Tarasenko could be even better than his 75 point season. He has the ability to score 50 goals when he's on, and he has yet to play with a offensively dynamic center. Hopefully we see that with O'Reilly.

Tarasenko has game breaking talent, whereas I don't think Backes ever had that. He was very reliable and sturdy, but he wouldn't completely control the game like Tarasenko can. That's just me though

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
No, I personally do not. Backes in his prime was really good and put up 60 points and yes, played good defense. I think Tarasenko could be even better than his 75 point season. He has the ability to score 50 goals when he's on, and he has yet to play with a offensively dynamic center. Hopefully we see that with O'Reilly.

Tarasenko has game breaking talent, whereas I don't think Backes ever had that. He was very reliable and sturdy, but he wouldn't completely control the game like Tarasenko can. That's just me though

Fair enough. I personally would take Backes because I love 2 way play and toughness. But this isnt a knock on Tarasenko because I do like him a lot. As I mentioned before, if im building a team, 2 way play and toughness would be a priority. But it doesn’t mean you cant have that along with Tarasenko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad