• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
All I can offer is my brief eye test. I acknowledge that it is a very small sample size, but I was watching Blais closely. My biggest concern was that he looked hesitant. It was like he wasn't sure exactly where to be, where to position himself. He was very hesitant to step up offensively, and I don't know whether this was nerves, deferring to the vets, or poor on-ice communication. When the play went the other way he looked even more lost. In fact, he may have been a liability, as I saw him get caught out of position, and he certainly wasn't picking up his man. I think a large part of it was jitters. If he does have a good hockey IQ, it didn't jump out at me. He was obviously thinking the game, but wasn't processing it quickly enough. This could be a matter of adjusting to the speed of the NHL. Of course, I respect the evaluations of others who have watched him more at the AHL level. I hope he succeeds this year.

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
So far, Blais kinda reminds me of Sanford. I think they both have some decent hands and talent, but I think both need to pack on some muscle if they are going to last in the NHL. These 2 and Foley are all pretty close, for some reason I just think Foley has an "it" factor that is hard to describe. I have more confidence in him filling a certain role that some of our other prospects don't have and playing that physical game in the bottom 6. In the little I've seen of him, he just gives off that persona as a guy that will lay it on the line and do whatever it takes to help the team. Kind of like an Upshall type player I guess. Blais and Sanford are just a lot more reserved, and they can't seem to stay on the ice enough.
This is kind of where I'm at with Sanford/Foley/Blais. All three are comparable prospects, but to me Foley stands out in terms of his play style, toughness, and attitude. The injuries with Sanford and Blais are a legit concern IMO, and I think Foley's aggressive play in the o-zone will translate well to a middle 6 role in the NHL. The guy is willing and able to drive to the hard areas. I believe Walman described Foley as one of the best teammates he'd ever played with, and it sounded like Foley was basically smiling the entire prospect camp. Not to slight Sanford/Blais or insinuate they have a bad attitude, but Foley seems like he would be a fantastic teammate/locker room guy.

I also remember seeing some quotes from the coaching staff regarding his positioning offensively that I'm hoping someone can help me dig up. I don't remember the exact quote or where I saw it, but there was mention that he has a really unique feel for the game offensively. Something along the lines of him consistently finding soft areas of the ice due to unorthodox positioning or instincts. Does that sound familiar to anyone? :laugh: Maybe I'm making that up or confusing him with someone else.
I think I remember what you're referring to. The coaches said something to the effect that watching Blais at times they wouldn't know what he was doing or why he was going to a certain location on the ice, then suddenly the puck would be there on his stick for a scoring opportunity. I forget the exact quote but it was something like that.

Reactions: Rexx and BlueDream
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->