• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Speaking of Binnington vs Fitzpatrick, who makes the Rampage as Husso's backup next year?

Binnington was one of the best goalies in the AHL last year, so him.

Yeah...Binnington and Husso will likely have a 1A/1B situation, at least early on. What's interesting to me is the thought of Binnington outplaying Husso (some woud say "again")...what then? It seems like the Blues have made every excuse in the world to label Binny as a career minor leaguer, and who knows, maybe that's what he'll be. But if he puts up better numbers than the Finnish-savior, STL will find themselves in another prediciment with Husso-Binny-Fitz and having to identify which, if any, will be gifted the franchise's future. After the goaltender-go-round of the past decade where it seems the Blues continuously favor the wrong guy, I'm not exactly thrilled with the proposition of them having two AHL studs and having to choose between them. There's a 100% chance the guy they eventually move on from will end up the better of the two...so maybe Army should just offer one of them to Tampa or Anaheim for a 7th to see who they prefer, and keep that guy!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I ask myself, "who do I have more confidence in having a long career as a bottom 6'er in the NHL between Foley and Blais?"

Foley without a doubt.

Blais looks like a career minor leaguer to me. I went Foley over Mikkola. Foley, Mikkola,Sanford for me

I just don’t see it with Blais. He wouldn’t get a vote from me for probably another 3 polls.

Foley, then Fitz, then Mikkola

It's the truly in-depth analysis like this that keeps me coming back to the boards :sarcasm: 3 people specifically say they aren't voting for Blais and I have no idea why not. Or why they bothered to mention him at all. There is no mention of any hockey related skill, tool, toolbox, size, speed, or anything all of substance. No comparison to what he brings vs other players. BlueDream is probably the closest. But I can ask "who do I have more confidence in having a long career as a bottom 6'er in the NHL between Sundqvist and Kyrou?", and that doesn't mean I'd vote for Sundqvist over Kyrou in a prospect poll. I just don't understand the point of commenting if you aren't even going to try to offer anything of substance. At the very least, if you are just throwing darts at the wall, say so. I'd be willing to bet of the 12 people who voted for Foley, not more than 2 have seen him play outside of highlights, camps, and prospect tourneys (although at least 6 would say they had).

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

It's the truly in-depth analysis like this that keeps me coming back to the boards :sarcasm: 3 people specifically say they aren't voting for Blais and I have no idea why not. Or why they bothered to mention him at all. There is no mention of any hockey related skill, tool, toolbox, size, speed, or anything all of substance. No comparison to what he brings vs other players. BlueDream is probably the closest. But I can ask "who do I have more confidence in having a long career as a bottom 6'er in the NHL between Sundqvist and Kyrou?", and that doesn't mean I'd vote for Sundqvist over Kyrou in a prospect poll. I just don't understand the point of commenting if you aren't even going to try to offer anything of substance. At the very least, if you are just throwing darts at the wall, say so. I'd be willing to bet of the 12 people who voted for Foley, not more than 2 have seen him play outside of highlights, camps, and prospect tourneys (although at least 6 would say they had).

Blais looks invisible in the NHL game. He is way down the pecking order for this team and their prospects.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

I had a long response to this but I accidentally deleted it.

The short version is that I’m just not a believer that Blais can be a top 6 forward. Don’t think his shot is good enough, don’t think he’s a good enough playmaker, I just don’t see him ever being in that role. Quite frankly, I think he’s already overachieved.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Blais looks invisible in the NHL game. He is way down the pecking order for this team and their prospects.

That doesn't tell me anything more than your previous comment. Yes, players who don't play are invisible in the NHL game. He got 10 minutes a game over 10 games. How much impact should he have had? His P/60 was 9th best forward on the team last year. Better than Tage who would be deemed a much more highly rated prospect, better than Soshnikov, Sobotka, Barbashev and Jaskin. His individual Scoring chances per 60 were 6th on the team. He was a bit gun-shy on offense vs a guy like Tage. Tage fired it at the net indiscriminately, but didn't have a high number of genuine chances, especially relative to shots. The coaches wanted Tage focused on shooting and Blais focusing on improving his defense. By all accounts from interviews of coaches, he did. The team did well offensively as well when he was on the ice. He was 6th on the team in GF/60 and SCF/60. And yes that is all from a small sample size, but that's the point. The sample size was tiny but he was creating chances during the time he played. He was playing physical, 6th on team in hits/60 and improving on his defense according to our coaching staff. He was blocked because he is a LHS LW. If he was a RHS RW, he would have been playing more and Tage would have torn up the AHL.

He has work to do, because he was a late starter and a late bloomer. He has to learn defense, strengthen his body which grew vertically rapidly and learn to use his size which he has not had for very long. All things other prospects have to do as well. The Rampage podcasters said Blais was the best non-goalie on the team last year, and that includes Tage and Sanford.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I had a long response to this but I accidentally deleted it.

The short version is that I’m just not a believer that Blais can be a top 6 forward. Don’t think his shot is good enough, don’t think he’s a good enough playmaker, I just don’t see him ever being in that role. Quite frankly, I think he’s already overachieved.

I hate it when that happens with a post getting deleted. Its happened to me a couple times since we migrated servers where the page suddenly refreshes wiping out a long response. Sorry for the wasted time, but thank you for offering some reasoning that relates to hockey skills. I disagree on playmaking but that's fine to disagree.

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
I went with Fitzpatrick. I think the kid is the real deal in goal. He'll likely challenge Husso or make Husso expendable soon. Foley is nipping at Fitz's heals though. I think he's going to be a decent 3rd line power forward in the NHL soon.

I also went Fitzpatrick but still think its weird Binnington isn't up there.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I hate it when that happens with a post getting deleted. Its happened to me a couple times since we migrated servers where the page suddenly refreshes wiping out a long response. Sorry for the wasted time, but thank you for offering some reasoning that relates to hockey skills. I disagree on playmaking but that's fine to disagree.

Yeah it was a fair critique to point out we hadn’t really given a reason.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
In regards to this:

people specifically say they aren't voting for Blais and I have no idea why not. Or why they bothered to mention him at all. There is no mention of any hockey related skill, tool, toolbox, size, speed, or anything all of substance. No comparison to what he brings vs other players. BlueDream is probably the closest.

I feel I provided this back in Poll #7.

I feel he’s a tweener. Too many other players for him to earn a scoring role and doesn’t bring enough away from the puck elements to succeed as a bottom of the lineup guy.

He has decent hockey sense but I don’t see it as elite or anything. And I don’t see anything from his skating, stick handling, shot, playmaking ability...anything, that stands out. He’s not good along the boards, not a puck hound, has size but doesn’t use it. I just don’t see it with him.

And for the record, that’s not just based on his small NHL sample size. It’s based on his AHL time too.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
In regards to this:

I feel I provided this back in Poll #7.

I feel he’s a tweener. Too many other players for him to earn a scoring role and doesn’t bring enough away from the puck elements to succeed as a bottom of the lineup guy.

He has decent hockey sense but I don’t see it as elite or anything. And I don’t see anything from his skating, stick handling, shot, playmaking ability...anything, that stands out. He’s not good along the boards, not a puck hound, has size but doesn’t use it. I just don’t see it with him.

And for the record, that’s not just based on his small NHL sample size. It’s based on his AHL time too.

Yea, you definitely did. I disagreed, but as I said that is ok. I was referring more to the string of ones I posted in this poll.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Looks like Walman and Kostin has regressed heavily when lurking back previous year polls results.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Went with Sanford, Blues seem to be optimistic about him. That injury last year was brutal for his development, he probably wo0uld have gotten regular NHL ice time last year.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
@Majorityof1

If you like Blais’ skill, you’ll love Kyrou. :sarcasm:

Blais might be tall and play a somewhat physical game, but neither of those things are going to make him a top-6 forward. I think he has the ability to be a good third liner due to his work ethic, size, and better than most bottom-6 forwards’ offensive ability, but I think the probablility of Blais becoming more valuable than a 3W is very slim due to his very meh skillset. I feel like Blais is similar to Barbashev in that regard - he’s rounded enough to be a third liner, but doesn’t have the pop that would get him onto a second line or the power play.

Because Blais’ value as a third liner to the Blues is very little, I rank him below Fitzpatrick, Schmaltz, Walman, and more because they have a decent chance of becoming more valuable pieces due to their higher ceiling and instantly recognizable skillset - a skillset that lends itself to a higher role. Blais is a jack of all trades that is a king at none a la Barbashev, and Blais doesn’t play center. For me, Blais slides in just under the Fitzpatrick & Walman, Schmaltz & Binnington tiers, and joins other prospects with good floor, but low ceiling like Barbashev.

All this could change quickly though if Blais exhibits more offensive talent (not just point totals) in the AHL. I don’t see the elite vision that you espouse, and I don’t think his shot, speed, skating, or playmaking ability are at a high enough level to take that production to the NHL in a top-6 capacity - perhaps once again similar to Barbashev, or Sanford if I ever actually get to see him play consistently.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

We obviously brought him up because he’s winning the poll... I would think that wouldn’t be hard to figure out.

Regarding the Sundqvist-Kyrou comparison, it’s not the same. Kyrou’s ceiling is way higher. I don’t think either Blais nor Foley have a much higher ceiling than the other. They both realistically look like 3rd liners, do you not agree?

I like what Foley brings to the table. Seems to bring a lot more of a “power” game. Being aggressive, going to the net, I have a lot more confidence in him to fill a role and become an all-around player.

Blais has potential to do the same but he seems too fragile for that style right now. And I don’t think his offensive skills are good enough at the NHL level to be a top 6 player.

Is this good enough analysis for you? I’m not going to go any further because I simply don’t care enough about our #8 prospect. It seems like you for some reason are taking our criticisms of Blais personally. I’m not quite sure why. I guess he’s your boy.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
We obviously brought him up because he’s winning the poll... I would think that wouldn’t be hard to figure out.

Regarding the Sundqvist-Kyrou comparison, it’s not the same. Kyrou’s ceiling is way higher. I don’t think either Blais nor Foley have a much higher ceiling than the other. They both realistically look like 3rd liners, do you not agree?

I like what Foley brings to the table. Seems to bring a lot more of a “power” game. Being aggressive, going to the net, I have a lot more confidence in him to fill a role and become an all-around player.

Blais has potential to do the same but he seems too fragile for that style right now. And I don’t think his offensive skills are good enough at the NHL level to be a top 6 player.

Is this good enough analysis for you? I’m not going to go any further because I simply don’t care enough about our #8 prospect. It seems like you for some reason are taking our criticisms of Blais personally. I’m not quite sure why. I guess he’s your boy.

No, I don't really take Blais' ranking personally. He is definitely in the second tier of prospects for me, albeit he is the top of that tier, in my opinion. So I don't take people not liking him personally. I could care less about what people's actual opinion's are. I take people not having an actually discussion personally. I care about the reason for people's opinions which is much more enlightening than their actual conclusions. WTF is the point of doing these polls if people just spout lists with no discussion or reasoning, especially when you know many people are following groupthink, follow the leader or basing it off poor information like draft pedigree or a misunderstanding of stats. Its frustrating when you try to start a conversation about something and people respond with "I think this 'cause that what I think." Ok, that tells me absolutely nothing.

If we actually discuss what we like, dislike about these prospects, maybe we can learn something from each other on various aspects and everyone can have a little more informed opinion. I'll admit I don't know everything about these guys and I picked up hockey later in life so I don't even know everything about the game/skating/etc. I try to stay informed, read reports, watch as many games as I can. But I am not a full time scout or a coach. I can learn from someone who has seen more of the prospect than I if they just give some sound reasoning and evidence, even if that evidence is the eye-test. For example, "in the 15 or so games of his I watched in the AHL he had a tendency to...". Ok, I can keep an eye out for whatever follows the ellipsis next time or dismiss it if it doesn't jive with my viewings. Instead people try to act like there opinion is so solid it doesn't need to be justified. This really was apparent with Blais on these polls, but it happens a lot on these forums. Its not just the #8 prospect thread, but every single one of the prospects, and everything else too. How much actually discussion was there on Thomas vs Kyrou/Bokk vs Kostin? And if you don't care about the 8th prospect, why even bother voting or saying anything? I personally would like to learn something about the lesser known guys in case they become actual contributors.

Anyway, as to the actual prospects, I think Foley caps as a slow 3rd/4th liner. I wasn't impressed with his skating, but like his tenacity and size. But I have not watched much of him, so ignorance drives my devaluing of him. I was hoping people would have something constructive to say there as well. I have Blais as a 2nd/3rd liner, good for a 35-45ish points and decent defense. Maybe upside is a winger version of Bozak. Bozak is also an average skater. was not even drafted as a late bloomer and relies on good IQ. We paid $5M for that. Having it on a cost-controlled contract would be nice. Granted we paid that much in part because of his RHS and playing C. But even as a winger, a cheap 35-40 point 3rd liner has value. A decent bottom-6 option can be had for cheap. So I don't value that at all. A player with even a sliver of top-6 hope is worth more to me than a guaranteed 4th liner all day. I don't see that sliver with Foley, although again, I am fully admitting I have not watched much at all.

Reactions: The Note in MI

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
@Majorityof1

If you like Blais’ skill, you’ll love Kyrou. :sarcasm:

Blais might be tall and play a somewhat physical game, but neither of those things are going to make him a top-6 forward. I think he has the ability to be a good third liner due to his work ethic, size, and better than most bottom-6 forwards’ offensive ability, but I think the probablility of Blais becoming more valuable than a 3W is very slim due to his very meh skillset. I feel like Blais is similar to Barbashev in that regard - he’s rounded enough to be a third liner, but doesn’t have the pop that would get him onto a second line or the power play.

Because Blais’ value as a third liner to the Blues is very little, I rank him below Fitzpatrick, Schmaltz, Walman, and more because they have a decent chance of becoming more valuable pieces due to their higher ceiling and instantly recognizable skillset - a skillset that lends itself to a higher role. Blais is a jack of all trades that is a king at none a la Barbashev, and Blais doesn’t play center. For me, Blais slides in just under the Fitzpatrick & Walman, Schmaltz & Binnington tiers, and joins other prospects with good floor, but low ceiling like Barbashev.

All this could change quickly though if Blais exhibits more offensive talent (not just point totals) in the AHL. I don’t see the elite vision that you espouse, and I don’t think his shot, speed, skating, or playmaking ability are at a high enough level to take that production to the NHL in a top-6 capacity - perhaps once again similar to Barbashev, or Sanford if I ever actually get to see him play consistently.

I do like some of Kyrou's skills. But what I value in Blais isn't his skills which as everyone said are kind of "meh". I like his IQ, coachability and work ethic. The latter two are big question marks for me about Kyrou. I obviously do have him much higher than Blais though.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I do like some of Kyrou's skills. But what I value in Blais isn't his skills which as everyone said are kind of "meh". I like his IQ, coachability and work ethic. The latter two are big question marks for me about Kyrou. I obviously do have him much higher than Blais though.
I understand your like of Blais.

However, I just wanted to interject on behalf of my man Kyrou (because I am apparently his biggest fan here, and am realizing that over the past few weeks; it’s tough coming to terms with being a fanboy). Kyrou’s coaches have applauded his coachability, and the IQ is obvious from watching him. That’s part of the reason why I don’t agree with “needs to work on his play without the puck” - to me his defensive positioning needs work and he does occasionally slack off defensively in the OHL (not so much on the bigger stage), but he reworked his game over the last year due to his willingness to listen to coaches.

You might be able to question work ethic, but that’s bordering on “is he good in the lockerroom”; we just don’t really know.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
No, I don't really take Blais' ranking personally. He is definitely in the second tier of prospects for me, albeit he is the top of that tier, in my opinion. So I don't take people not liking him personally. I could care less about what people's actual opinion's are. I take people not having an actually discussion personally. I care about the reason for people's opinions which is much more enlightening than their actual conclusions. WTF is the point of doing these polls if people just spout lists with no discussion or reasoning, especially when you know many people are following groupthink, follow the leader or basing it off poor information like draft pedigree or a misunderstanding of stats. Its frustrating when you try to start a conversation about something and people respond with "I think this 'cause that what I think." Ok, that tells me absolutely nothing.

If we actually discuss what we like, dislike about these prospects, maybe we can learn something from each other on various aspects and everyone can have a little more informed opinion. I'll admit I don't know everything about these guys and I picked up hockey later in life so I don't even know everything about the game/skating/etc. I try to stay informed, read reports, watch as many games as I can. But I am not a full time scout or a coach. I can learn from someone who has seen more of the prospect than I if they just give some sound reasoning and evidence, even if that evidence is the eye-test. For example, "in the 15 or so games of his I watched in the AHL he had a tendency to...". Ok, I can keep an eye out for whatever follows the ellipsis next time or dismiss it if it doesn't jive with my viewings. Instead people try to act like there opinion is so solid it doesn't need to be justified. This really was apparent with Blais on these polls, but it happens a lot on these forums. Its not just the #8 prospect thread, but every single one of the prospects, and everything else too. How much actually discussion was there on Thomas vs Kyrou/Bokk vs Kostin? And if you don't care about the 8th prospect, why even bother voting or saying anything? I personally would like to learn something about the lesser known guys in case they become actual contributors.

Anyway, as to the actual prospects, I think Foley caps as a slow 3rd/4th liner. I wasn't impressed with his skating, but like his tenacity and size. But I have not watched much of him, so ignorance drives my devaluing of him. I was hoping people would have something constructive to say there as well. I have Blais as a 2nd/3rd liner, good for a 35-45ish points and decent defense. Maybe upside is a winger version of Bozak. Bozak is also an average skater. was not even drafted as a late bloomer and relies on good IQ. We paid $5M for that. Having it on a cost-controlled contract would be nice. Granted we paid that much in part because of his RHS and playing C. But even as a winger, a cheap 35-40 point 3rd liner has value. A decent bottom-6 option can be had for cheap. So I don't value that at all. A player with even a sliver of top-6 hope is worth more to me than a guaranteed 4th liner all day. I don't see that sliver with Foley, although again, I am fully admitting I have not watched much at all.
Well first, I never said I didn't care about the 8th prospect at all, I said I'm not going to analyze it any further because I don't care about them that much. I'm going to post a tidbit here and there on them because they are fine prospects, but I'm really not going to spend much more time than that because that's what I feel like doing. If they both become better than I think they will, great. But given the other prospects and NHL players we have there's really not much pressure on them to do so.

Also, it's great that you want to learn and all that but it's not like I come into a thread thinking "I'm going to write a novel on these 2 prospects so Majority is satisfied with my post." I'm not experts on either of these guys. I'm just giving a prediction. So far, Blais kinda reminds me of Sanford. I think they both have some decent hands and talent, but I think both need to pack on some muscle if they are going to last in the NHL. These 2 and Foley are all pretty close, for some reason I just think Foley has an "it" factor that is hard to describe. I have more confidence in him filling a certain role that some of our other prospects don't have and playing that physical game in the bottom 6. In the little I've seen of him, he just gives off that persona as a guy that will lay it on the line and do whatever it takes to help the team. Kind of like an Upshall type player I guess. Blais and Sanford are just a lot more reserved, and they can't seem to stay on the ice enough.

Reactions: Shwabeal

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
I think Blais' "lack of skill" gets a little blown out of proportion a bit, which is understandable for a late draft pick. But it's not like he's just average at everything - he's actually above average at most aspects of the game from my viewings. His hockey IQ is very good, as others have noted. But he's also a hard worker and an effective forechecker. Kind of a puckhound type, but to a lesser degree than someone like Schwartz. His shot is accurate, with a fairly quick release, although he's not able to get a ton of power on it. He's an above average skater, which he uses effectively on the forecheck to turn pucks over and pickpocket defenders.

His stickhandling reminds me a lot of Schwartz from previous years, where he shows flashes of high end skill, but not consistently enough to call his pick skills great. I also remember seeing some quotes from the coaching staff regarding his positioning offensively that I'm hoping someone can help me dig up. I don't remember the exact quote or where I saw it, but there was mention that he has a really unique feel for the game offensively. Something along the lines of him consistently finding soft areas of the ice due to unorthodox positioning or instincts. Does that sound familiar to anyone? :laugh: Maybe I'm making that up or confusing him with someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->