• Anton Andersson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Ville Husso takes 3rd, beating out Kostin with a 27 vote lead. I apologize for not putting this poll up sooner. I was in Chicago over the weekend and couldn't find the time. I'll try to be more prompt from here on out.

Blues Prospect List:
1) Robert Thomas (92.1%)
2) Jordan Kyrou (87.4%)
3) Ville Husso (56.4%)

Reactions: STLomacneko

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I'm giving it to Kostin here based on what I know and just recently saw at prospect camp.

Bokk looks tremendous, but he's still very raw. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take 3+ years before he reaches the NHL. Kostin looks much more polished while possessing tools that are dangerous. His wrist shot is fantastic and the rest of his arsenal looks like it can translate to the NHL well. I can see Kostin playing on any of the four lines given his repertoire, and that speaks volumes for his skillset. Bokk's strengths are lethal, but his deficiencies are glaring, so he's going to need quite a bit of time to figure it all out, in my opinion.

Although, having an internal debate between Kostin and Bokk over who's better makes me squeal in glee. I still can't believe the Blues have a great prospect pool while having only one top-20 pick out of the bunch.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Kostin just seems so raw. Could be great, might never figure it out. Bokk to me has both higher upside and greater likelihood of becoming at least solid NHLer.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Husso, Kostin, and Bokk all very close IMO. Kostin being closer to ready than Bokk, as well as bringing some size since we shipped out Thompson, gives him a slight edge for me.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Kostin just seems so raw. Could be great, might never figure it out. Bokk to me has both higher upside and greater likelihood of becoming at least solid NHLer.
Bokk might have the higher upside, but I'm curious why you think he also has the greater likelihood of becoming at least a solid NHLer?

I see Kostin as much more of a sure thing to at least become a solid NHLer at this current point in time. Kostin is further along in his development/closer to the NHL, has played against men in a tough pro league (AHL) and held his own at 18, and has the size/skating to be more suitable to a bottom 6 role if he doesn't pan out in the top 6.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Its close between several for me here as they all offer something different so its hard to choose. Kostin and Bokk for upside, and I think Blais and Schmaltz are decent NHL players on different teams with a little time to adjust. I'm going Kostin for the best combo of upside, readiness and age. I think Walman is under-rated as well. He clearly wasn't ready and needed AHL time, but he came on at the end. I expect a bounce back season from him.

Reactions: The Note in MI

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I actually think I prefer Schmaltz here the most. I think he's definitely NHL ready and showed signs of being a solid top 4 offensive dman.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Bokk might have the higher upside, but I'm curious why you think he also has the greater likelihood of becoming at least a solid NHLer?

I see Kostin as much more of a sure thing to at least become a solid NHLer at this current point in time. Kostin is further along in his development/closer to the NHL, has played against men in a tough pro league (AHL) and held his own at 18, and has the size/skating to be more suitable to a bottom 6 role if he doesn't pan out in the top 6.
Bokk's skill and skating should allow him to be complementary scorer even if he falls short of potential. He also has experience against men in SEL at 17, although admittedly with limited success. I could be wrong about him, obviously, but there is a lot to like with him.

My concern with Kostin is that he has always relied on his size/strength and can he create offense when playing against folks his own size? He wasn't bad as 18 year old in AHL, but he certainly wasn't great. Can he create separation? How much skill does he really have? Is he willing to put in work to improve as much as he needs to?

Reactions: Celtic Note

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
Went with Bokk on this one. I think He has a higher ceiling and I thought he showed more at prospects camp than KK

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Bokk's skill and skating should allow him to be complementary scorer even if he falls short of potential. He also has experience against men in SEL at 17, although admittedly with limited success. I could be wrong about him, obviously, but there is a lot to like with him.

My concern with Kostin is that he has always relied on his size/strength and can he create offense when playing against folks his own size? He wasn't bad as 18 year old in AHL, but he certainly wasn't great. Can he create separation? How much skill does he really have? Is he willing to put in work to improve as much as he needs to?
Kostin also played against men at 17, and the KHL is considered a better league than the SHL.

I'm not trying to crap on Bokk, there's a legit argument that he has higher upside. I prefer Kostin, but it's not crazy to think Bokk might be the better overall prospect. Just don't really see an argument for Bokk being a safer bet to be a solid NHLer...maybe we just have a different definition of a "solid NHLer."

The questions you're posing are mostly valid questions, but I think the answers will determine whether Kostin ends up as a top 6 power forward or merely a solid NHLer. In other words, Kostin has a higher floor than Bokk IMO.

It's very rare for an 18 year old to play more than a handful of games in the AHL. 28 points and .42 PPG is pretty good historically for an 18 year old in the AHL. I'm excited to see what a 19 year old Kostin can do next season with consistent top 6 minutes and talented linemates. 40+ points and .6+ PPG is very much within reach for Kostin next season and would put him in good company.

I think Walman is under-rated as well. He clearly wasn't ready and needed AHL time, but he came on at the end. I expect a bounce back season from him.
Walman is another guy I'm excited for next season in the AHL. Agreed he is poised for a big year, Binghamton fans were raving about his play towards the end of last season.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Kostin also played against men at 17, and the KHL is considered a better league than the SHL.

He did. Played 8 games in KHL with no points. Fair to say neither player starred as pro at 17 in top 2 leagues in Europe, but almost nobody does.

I'm not trying to crap on Bokk, there's a legit argument that he has higher upside. I prefer Kostin, but it's not crazy to think Bokk might be the better overall prospect. Just don't really see an argument for Bokk being a safer bet to be a solid NHLer...maybe we just have a different definition of a "solid NHLer."

The questions you're posing are mostly valid questions, but I think the answers will determine whether Kostin ends up as a top 6 power forward or merely a solid NHLer. In other words, Kostin has a higher floor than Bokk IMO.

It's very rare for an 18 year old to play more than a handful of games in the AHL. 28 points and .42 PPG is pretty good historically for an 18 year old in the AHL. I'm excited to see what a 19 year old Kostin can do next season with consistent top 6 minutes and talented linemates. 40+ points and .6+ PPG is very much within reach for Kostin next season and would put him in good company.

Again, not trying to say KK can't be a good NHL player. I certainly hope that he does. I've only seen him at U20 and a couple Rampage games and came away with mixed impression. I see the flashes of potential, but I also think big guys like him get overrated coming up because they dominate their age groups due to size and strength. Some have extra dimension once they play against others their size. Does Klim? Not a lot of 18 year olds play in AHL so hard to get too much of a read on what his stats mean last year. I just think jury is still out on him.

As for Bokk, obviously he needs to get stronger and is certainly not NHL-ready, I just see his skills transferring more easily to NHL. I rather expect that (after Thomas) Bokk ends up the best of our forward prospects.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Walman is another guy I'm excited for next season in the AHL. Agreed he is poised for a big year, Binghamton fans were raving about his play towards the end of last season.

Agreed. He had rough year last year, but I still think he becomes quality NHLer.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
I actually think I prefer Schmaltz here the most. I think he's definitely NHL ready and showed signs of being a solid top 4 offensive dman.

I agree liked Schmaltz at the end of last year playing up. He looked solid.

Good problem to have but Being blocked by great players above you is a death sentence to your HF board rankings.

Schmaltz dropped from 2 to 9 last year. No idea where he will go this year.

Walman dropped from 1 to 3 and is looking 6 or lower if Kostin and Bokk go 4 and 5.

Here to hoping they both get to show something at the NHL level this year.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
One of the few to pick Schmaltz here. I think he would be a top 4 D right now on half of NHL teams if he’d had his opportunity.
I chose Klostin, but my next pick was Schmaltz for the same reason. I really think if it wasn't for the fact that we have Petro and CP, he might be playing top 4 minutes this year. I think he doesn't get the respect he deserves because he is so far down on the depth chart.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I agree liked Schmaltz at the end of last year playing up. He looked solid.

Good problem to have but Being blocked by great players above you is a death sentence to your HF board rankings.

Schmaltz dropped from 2 to 9 last year. No idea where he will go this year.

Walman dropped from 1 to 3 and is looking 6 or lower if Kostin and Bokk go 4 and 5.

Here to hoping they both get to show something at the NHL level this year.
Have to agree with you. I don't see where Bokk has really played against any real competition yet. Until he does, I think all 3 of these guys as well as Foley are a more legitimate prospect at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad