• Anton Andersson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Scott Perunovich takes the #13 spot after a neck-and-neck race with Toropchenko. It was good to see Stevens finally get some love, especially considering he's been one of the highest scoring forwards in college the last 3 three years. But will he get enough to vault himself over Toropchenko?

Blues Prospect List:
1) Robert Thomas (92.1%)
2) Jordan Kyrou (87.4%)
3) Ville Husso (56.4%)
4) Klim Kostin (52.0%)
5) Dominik Bokk (73.4%)
6) Jordan Schmaltz (36.8%)
7) Jake Walman (49.0%)
8) Samuel Blais (32.3%)
9) Niko Mikkola (48.0%)
10) Erik Foley (51.9%)
11) Evan Fitzpatrick (36.4%)
12) Zach Sanford (56.1%)
13) Scott Perunovich (33.3%)

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Stevens.

Good combo of skill, size and likes to crash the net too. Creates havoc and cleans up a lot of garbage around the crease.

I’m interested to see how he adapts to pro hockey in SA this season but I think he has the combo of tools that could make for a good bottom-6 NHL forward after some more development.

And you know he has to know what it’s going to take from him off the ice to make it with his dad being HC of the Kings. Similar to TT, that gives him a leg up.

Reactions: stl76

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
Stevens, from what I have seen at prospect camp last couple of years thinks he could be a solid bottom 6c. He size and skill. I think he needs to work more on his skating though.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Does Stevens have any physical side of his game?
From what I’ve seen he’s not out there avoiding contact, but he’s not exactly a bruiser either. He’ll engage physically but he’s not putting people on their asses very often.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Went with Binnington, but his opportunity will likely come with a different org. Kaspick, Poganski, Musil and Reinke are all low ceiling guys but could carve out a role in the NHL. Stevens and McGing have a slightly higher ceilings, but it remains to be seen if their strengths outweigh their deficiencies enough to stick in the NHL.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
From what I’ve seen he’s not out there avoiding contact, but he’s not exactly a bruiser either. He’ll engage physically but he’s not putting people on their asses very often.
So he isn't 'old days' type of bottom 6 player?

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I just don't see it with Stevens. I appreciate his college numbers but at all my personal viewings he has just been so-so. In my opinion he will be fringe player who spends time bouncing between AHL and NHL but never quite sticking. I think everyone knows my feelings on Toropchenko that is why I voted him here. A name I am surprised isn't getting more recognition by this point is Mitch Reinke.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Русский дьявол власти

Torpedo for me

tenor.gif

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
So he isn't 'old days' type of bottom 6 player?

What current player would you say plays an “old days” style?

Stevens doesn’t go out and lay monster hits but he battles in front of the net a lot and is willing to use his size to his advantage.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Tough decision between Stevens and Toropchenko, but I went with the latter. Again. I'm just hoping Toro can somehow, someway, somehow ... learn to finish! His combination of size and speed is so alluring, but he just can't seem to do anything with it. He reminds me of a more physical Paajarvi.
Stevens might be in the NHL sooner, but only as a 4th line grinder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Klank Loves You

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What current player would you say plays an “old days” style?

Stevens doesn’t go out and lay monster hits but he battles in front of the net a lot and is willing to use his size to his advantage.
I think Jaskin is only guy in Blues left who can play physical game as a forward. Thorburn is physical, but he doesn't have legs for execute it. Soshnikov has legs and right mindset for it, but he's glass. Only minus side of Jaskin's game is he doesn't drops the gloves, he have done it only 3 times in his career and 1 time win fight, but it was QMJHL. :laugh:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I think Jaskin is only guy in Blues left who can play physical game as a forward. Thorburn is physical, but he doesn't have legs for execute it. Soshnikov has legs and right mindset for it, but he's glass. Only minus side of Jaskin's game is he doesn't drops the gloves, he have done it only 3 times in his career and 1 time win fight, but it was QMJHL. :laugh:
Schenn & Maroon could get Gordie Howe hatties, and Perron and Steen will throw their weight around too.

Last edited:

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I woukd describe it as Stevens is a low percentage 3rd liner, high percentage AHL Top 6 upside wise. Toropchenko is a high percentage 4th line forward. I personally will go with the Torpedo, as I'd be fairly surprised if he never plays at the NHL level were we sit now.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I woukd describe it as Stevens is a low percentage 3rd liner, high percentage AHL Top 6 upside wise. Toropchenko is a high percentage 4th line forward. I personally will go with the Torpedo, as I'd be fairly surprised if he never plays at the NHL level were we sit now.

Why do you not think Stevens could play a 4th line role?

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Why do you not think Stevens could play a 4th line role?
From what I've read, he was more of a scorer in college and there are concerns around his skating. Especially the way this roster is built for the next 2-3 years, he would be kind of redundant with what we have down the middle.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Also, my main argument is Stevens basically has to play himself into top 9 because a guy like Torpedo is just going to do better in a traditional 4th line role.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
From what I've read, he was more of a scorer in college and there are concerns around his skating. Especially the way this roster is built for the next 2-3 years, he would be kind of redundant with what we have down the middle.

Nah. Stevens was the banger crasher on the best line in college hockey. I don’t see his main attribute being scoring, at least not in a pure skilled way. He’ll get his points from hard work and a lot of tips, deflections and rebounds in front of the net. I think he’d be a good 4th liner but could also develop into a 3rd liner too if things fall into place.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Also, my main argument is Stevens basically has to play himself into top 9 because a guy like Torpedo is just going to do better in a traditional 4th line role.

But WHY do you think Toropchenko would do better in a traditional 4th line role?

To me, they both have the attributes to be good 4th liners but Stevens has more offense and finishing ability, enough to think he has a decent chance to be a 3rd liner, so that’s why I give him the edge.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
But WHY do you think Toropchenko would do better in a traditional 4th line role?

To me, they both have the attributes to be good 4th liners but Stevens has more offense and finishing ability, enough to think he has a decent chance to be a 3rd liner, so that’s why I give him the edge.

In a word: Speed. Toropchenko has it, Stevens doesn't. Toropchenko also is a lot more relentless on the forecheck from I've seen. If you asked me to model my perfect 4th line winger, they would be big, fast, and forecheck like a mad man. Torpedo hits those bench marks with flying colors.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
In a word: Speed. Toropchenko has it, Stevens doesn't. Toropchenko also is a lot more relentless on the forecheck from I've seen. If you asked me to model my perfect 4th line winger, they would be big, fast, and forecheck like a mad man. Torpedo hits those bench marks with flying colors.

That I can’t disagree with. They certainly have differently strengths and weaknesses.

I like Toropchenko as a future 4th line guy for the exact same reasons. I just think Stevens’ better offensive abilities could make him the better player longterm.

But I have Toropchenko next on my list so it’s not like I value them drastically differently.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Voted Stevens.

But Toropchenko is much younger. Stevens nearly is what he will be. I like Torpedo as a dark horse but I don’t think he will end up being much of anything either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad