Half-Assed GDT: Blues @ Stars Game 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
At least one good thing from this game is the goaltending situation in Dallas. I was worried after game 1 but now who does Dallas start for game 3?

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
At least one good thing from this game is the goaltending situation in Dallas. I was worried after game 1 but now who does Dallas start for game 3?

honestly not even sure it matters, both goalies are ridiculously inconsistent, who knows what kind of performance either will give

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
It was pretty chaotic at my house today and I couldn't focus as much as usual. Did we get out played badly in this game?

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
It was pretty chaotic at my house today and I couldn't focus as much as usual. Did we get out played badly in this game?

Third period was terrible. 2 shots on goal. Played in our own end nearly the entire time. They would dump the puck in and change lines (Hitchcock) every single time.

Then afterward the captain talked again about playing 60 minutes. It's like a broken record. I think most of us here are glad we won but I doubt anyone thinks we deserved to win.

It left a sour taste in my mouth, for sure.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Third period was terrible. 2 shots on goal. Played in our own end nearly the entire time. They would dump the puck in and change lines (Hitchcock) every single time.

Then afterward the captain talked again about playing 60 minutes. It's like a broken record. I think most of us here are glad we won but I doubt anyone thinks we deserved to win.

Besides the dump and change in 3rd, did the Blues out play them in the first 2 periods?

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Besides the dump and change in 3rd, did the Blues out play them in the first 2 periods?

1st period was pretty even, 2nd period Blues ran the table. In those periods the Blues were jumping and forechecking well. Reaves, Upshall, and Backes were a physical presence and Dallas didn't have an answer. Then we went into the shell in the 3rd. Stopped hitting, stopped forechecking, stopped trying to do anything resembling offense. Somehow, this well thought out tactic failed and the Stars scored twice

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
1st period was pretty even, 2nd period Blues ran the table. In those periods the Blues were jumping and forechecking well. Reaves, Upshall, and Backes were a physical presence and Dallas didn't have an answer. Then we went into the shell in the 3rd. Stopped hitting, stopped forechecking, stopped trying to do anything resembling offense. Somehow, this well thought out tactic failed and the Stars scored twice

Great thanks. That's pretty much what I saw too, I just couldn't focus as much. I expect the Blues to come out and dominate games 3 and 4 at home. Need more Reaves. I like Bodz, but I wouldn't mind seeing Reaves and Ott together for a game.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This team can be a beast if they wanted to....Blues, why don't you want to? :(

Oh and Tarasenko can get back to being a difference maker

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
This is the first time the Blues have won a game in the 2nd round since 2001-02, no? So that makes this the most playoff success we've seen since Quenneville was the coach, Pronger was the captain, Tkachuk scored the most goals, and Demitra led in points.

Positive baby steps!

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
It is the coaching, but you know what? I'm getting sick of Tarasenko's disappearing act. I hope he's hiding an injury, because if not, he's being a princess. If that is the case, my response is suck it up, Frank!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I couldn't be off point here, but these guys don't seem to know where their teammates are. They seem to double clutch every time they are in the Dzone when attempting to make a pass. That split second costs them several times. Also...my god, our guys are weak on their sticks, they seemingly lose 1 on 1s constantly.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Make sure to dump it
When there's lots of time and space
Then chase it or don't

You just described the Blues entire 3rd period...

But seriously, thank god most of the team came to play today, including Shattenkirk who finally decided to wake up and play D. I thought he was noticeably much better in the defensive end. Plus another rock solid performance from Elliott, who has come to play ever single game. Pietroangelo as well has had his coming out party to the nation in these playoffs. While Frank was once again a no show, he did seem like he put forth a lot more effort today. Lastly Fabbri has been a offensive god send to this team in the playoffs, he creates so much when on the ice, oh Reaves played great, Parayko was awesome again & Ed even looked like he played a really good game.

Calling out FAIL, on my part. Haha. Guess i shouldn't have started the boozing 3 hours before game time. Sorry, Elk. Should have known better than to doubt you.

Here's my contribution:

score, score, score, score, score
be up big after two, then
Turtle. Turtle hard.

Wow, I know I said KirkOut described the 3rd perfectly with his post, but you just nailed the entire game lol.

Every time you get your haiku wrong a swede is born.

LMAO I might have had too much to drink today, but this was ******* hilarious. It's 2 am here and the hangover is already setting in

Let's go boys.

Glad you're still on board Novacane :yo:

Last edited by a moderator:

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Blues=coaching and players

Coach sets the game plan....it doesn't work. it hasn't worked in years. one forechecker defensive shell (turtle/trap mode)...same junk we have watched lose it for us the past several. Understand for Hitch that it is a matter of pride to put his stamp on any kind of victory using HIS "system". Just as Keenan did.... He needs to go and needed to go two years ago. Fortunately, we have enough talent to win despite who the coach is. He would be the best healthy scratch that we could possibly make at game time.

Perhaps the deal with Tank is the same as Hull used be. In his head like many of the players obviously is....this is the dumbest game plan ever.....why can't we just play hockey?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Coach sets the game plan....it doesn't work. it hasn't worked in years. one forechecker defensive shell (turtle/trap mode)...same junk we have watched lose it for us the past several. Understand for Hitch that it is a matter of pride to put his stamp on any kind of victory using HIS "system". Just as Keenan did.... He needs to go and needed to go two years ago. Fortunately, we have enough talent to win despite who the coach is. He would be the best healthy scratch that we could possibly make at game time.

Perhaps the deal with Tank is the same as Hull used be. In his head like many of the players obviously is....this is the dumbest game plan ever.....why can't we just play hockey?

Absolute BS. The only person in Tarasenko's head is him. He's weak on the puck and he rarely will stop on the puck. None stop flybys

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

I'm your huckleberry. Dallas had an awful first period. Trying to look at it objectively and both teams had long stretches where they were just awful for a good portion of the game. The Blues just did it later and give up 2 goals in the third so it felt worse. Giving up 3 on 5 shots in the first is just as bad, if not worse than how the Blues played in the third.

Just my $.02 It really could have gone either way but I don't feel like we did not deserve the win at all. Not saying we obviously deserved it either. But we got it, and it was up for grabs. Neither team "deserved" that one. So in that regard maybe I do agree with what I bolded that you said. But taking it as Dallas deserved it, heck no!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad