Confirmed with Link: Blues sign Steen to 4yr extenstion.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Blues shouldn't give away any more picks in my opinion. I think some of you are way overshooting this thing. Steen has value even if Blues fans don't see it. He stopped being an offensive threat about 5 years ago but is an excellent defender and leader. These guys are important to any championship run. This player could walk into about half a dozen locker rooms right now and be THE team leader. To me the biggest difference between the Blues and teams trying to get over the hump besides their defense is their impressive depth. Every team has high end talent in the top 6 or at least the top 4 or 5. After that it gets murky. The Blues can play a full 60 minutes because they roll 4 lines and just wear opponents down over time. This is our strength and believe me others would love to acquire it. The point is people tend to think a player is playing poorly if they don't see his name on the score sheet often enough. that is not Steen's role though and we have others that have passed him by that we could use in his place. Army is slick and this could be used to acquire a scorer to up our chances. Brower could replace Steen and hardly miss a beat other than the defense would take a small hit. Troy I think has more offensive upside though.

Reactions: badmoth

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Blues shouldn't give away any more picks in my opinion. I think some of you are way overshooting this thing. Steen has value even if Blues fans don't see it. He stopped being an offensive threat about 5 years ago but is an excellent defender and leader. These guys are important to any championship run. This player could walk into about half a dozen locker rooms right now and be THE team leader. To me the biggest difference between the Blues and teams trying to get over the hump besides their defense is their impressive depth. Every team has high end talent in the top 6 or at least the top 4 or 5. After that it gets murky. The Blues can play a full 60 minutes because they roll 4 lines and just wear opponents down over time. This is our strength and believe me others would love to acquire it. The point is people tend to think a player is playing poorly if they don't see his name on the score sheet often enough. that is not Steen's role though and we have others that have passed him by that we could use in his place. Army is slick and this could be used to acquire a scorer to up our chances. Brower could replace Steen and hardly miss a beat other than the defense would take a small hit. Troy I think has more offensive upside though.
And if you’re Steen with a year left on a cup contender, why exactly are you waiving your NTC to go to another team?

And if there is by chance a contending team that would be interested, that he would waive for, there’s no way the team is going to have 5.75 in cap space to take on a bottom sixer.

If Army goes to Steen asking him to waive, Steen May say, ok, figure out a way to get me to the jets or buy me out. 5.75 is a lot for a character guy that doesn’t provide much offense any longer.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
And if you’re Steen with a year left on a cup contender, why exactly are you waiving your NTC to go to another team?

And if there is by chance a contending team that would be interested, that he would waive for, there’s no way the team is going to have 5.75 in cap space to take on a bottom sixer.

If Army goes to Steen asking him to waive, Steen May say, ok, figure out a way to get me to the jets or buy me out. 5.75 is a lot for a character guy that doesn’t provide much offense any longer.

Great perspective.

If there's a will, there's always Army.

Teams live and die by long-term contracts.

Ask Chicago who cleverly found a laundry list of injuries for their struggling 34-year-old defenseman.. Seabrook needs at last count four surgeries. Seabrook will never return and his insurance policy will pay him very well. Problem solved.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017

The only way I see him waiving is for an Orpik type situation that I described a few posts back.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
1. Steen at 5.75M against the cap
2. Steen at 1.5M against the cap minus a 2nd round pick
3. Buyout of Steen's last year for a net cap saving of 1.5M*

If these are the only three options, which I would argue that they are, I'd choose option 2.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Steen the player absolutely has value. But in a hard cap world, the value of your asset isn't just the player. It is the player's value combined with his contract.

Steen and his contract is a net negative asset.

There is a very short list of even borderline-contending teams who are able burn $5.75M of cap space for leadership and adequate bottom 6 play. Then you have to hope that that list overlaps with the (potentially zero) teams Steen would accept a trade to. Then you have to hope that the team not only has the ability to spend $5.75M on leadership but also would prefer to spend $5.75M specifically on Steen's leadership over a UFA who would cost 30% of the price for 80% of the leadership. I'm not sure you get through that process with a team (or more) left on the list. If you do, it is very likely that the team(s) left on the list are only still there if you give them an asset to outweigh going after whatever UFA they had their eyes on.

I'm not as down on Steen as a lot of people here, but he is unquestionably overpaid by at least $3M for the player he currently is. I'd argue that he is overpaid by closer to $5M than $3M. When you are talking about a team taking on at least $3M in "dead" cap, a player who otherwise would have value in a vacuum no longer has value.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Double post for a different thought.

Despite the fact that he is a negative value asset, I don't think he is on the roster opening night of 2020/21. We might have to buy him out, retain some money in a trade, move a pick to make it work or have a heart to heart with him where Army talks about all these possibilities to convince him that early retirement and a job in our front office is his best option. I don't know how we will get there and a lot of that is dependent on what Steen wants (which is the true power and reason you negotiate for robust trade protection). But I do think that one of those options plays out this summer and we won't see Steen on the opening night roster next year.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I've always loved Steen, but the writing is definitely on the wall for him. He's not doing much offensively, and his defensive play has also been quite poor just from the eye test.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad