Confirmed with Link: Blues sign Steen to 4yr extenstion.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Steen isn't playing well but I am not seeing anything to suggest that he doesn't care. He gives it his all every shift. His issue is that he's not making the optimal decisions with the puck or trying to make a play that isn't there.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
He turned it around last season when we were talking the way some of us are now, but unlike Jake Allen, there are alternative options for Steen's spot. If there's a way to move him, I think we should seriously entertain the idea.

For a guy that's been here as long as he has though, I'd like to find a graceful exit for his career, same way I'd hope Backes would find.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
He turned it around last season when we were talking the way some of us are now, but unlike Jake Allen, there are alternative options for Steen. If there's a way to move him, I think we should seriously entertain the idea.

For a guy that's been here as long as he has though, I'd like to find a graceful exit for his career, same way I'd hope Backes would find.

I’ve never really had a big beef with Steen in his time here. Things here and there but most of the time I never really spoke of him much. This year it’s obvious that it’s starting to go downhill and quick but I don’t think I can really blame the guy. Age is just against him and the game is tons faster than he is. It’s unfortunate but it’s reality. Need to try and find an option in the offseason.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
He turned it around last season when we were talking the way some of us are now, but unlike Jake Allen, there are alternative options for Steen's spot. If there's a way to move him, I think we should seriously entertain the idea.

Steen didnt exactly turn it around last year as he still had major dropoff, but was a serviceable role player who just had bad contracy. This year im not even sure hes that.

I dont think there is anyway to move steen other than buy him out. While he is maybe a decent 14th forward, its almost necessary just to find cap space for resigning petro next season as we are simply too tight now.

Theres no way anyone tales him in a trade unless we take bad contract in return thus defeating the purpose of trading him

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The best way for him to contribute right now is as a fourth liner/ occasional healthy scratch who helps the younger players learn how to be a pro. Even with Tarasenko and Blais still out, Steen should be nowhere near our Top 9. Sub Sanford in for him or flip him with Barbashev tomorrow.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I can’t see Steen retiring, since he’d lose a substantial amount of money. Not sure there will be any takers for him in trade, although I can think of a few young underachieving teams where his leadership would be of benefit. But most likely the Blues will either buy him out the last year or just bite the bullet and pay the balance of the contract. Not sure how the Pietro money works out. If it can’t come from Steen, it will have to be elsewhere. Allen would be the simplest place to start, probably Bozak too.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I can’t see Steen retiring, since he’d lose a substantial amount of money. Not sure there will be any takers for him in trade, although I can think of a few young underachieving teams where his leadership would be of benefit. But most likely the Blues will either buy him out the last year or just bite the bullet and pay the balance of the contract. Not sure how the Pietro money works out. If it can’t come from Steen, it will have to be elsewhere. Allen would be the simplest place to start, probably Bozak too.

I think Armstrong trades Steen with the intention of someone else buying him out. Only problem is his NTC, which expires next February...but if the club tells him that they can't afford to keep him for the completion of next season, i think there's a decent chance that Steen accommodates the team and lets them move the final year of his contract prior to the start of next season. A 2nd Cup would be a nice way to go out...

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think Armstrong trades Steen with the intention of someone else buying him out. Only problem is his NTC, which expires next February...but if the club tells him that they can't afford to keep him for the completion of next season, i think there's a decent chance that Steen accommodates the team and lets them move the final year of his contract prior to the start of next season. A 2nd Cup would be a nice way to go out...
Brian pointed out that the team could let Steen have some influence on the trade destination if he agrees, vs trading him after the protection wears off. It’s a strong enticement to waive.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Why would another team trade for him to buy him out, unless you suggest we move draft picks to another team just to be rid of him

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The only place I see Steen going in a trade is Winnipeg, and I mostly don’t see that happening at his price tag. Then again, Army did Berglund dirty in the ROR trade, and “business is business,” so... who knows. San Jose and Detroit seem like the current Homes for Elderly NHLers, so maybe that’s a thing. Anaheim? Vancouver? There’s not a lot of easy cap situations out there right now, and Arizona just cashed their chips in on Kessel and Hall. It’s probably most likely that he just retires a Blue at this point

Reactions: Ranksu

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
If you don't think Steen would retire because of leaving money on the table. You can always pull the old Retire and get a job in management that pays your remaining salary.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
As a big fan of Steen over the years, I now say that he looks finished. The only time I don't wince when I see him on the ice is when he is on the PK.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’m more concerned that they’ll keep playing him than I am about moving him. Sure i’d Love to move him and his salary, but good luck with that. Nothing personal to Steen, he’s been a pretty good Blue, but at this stage of his career, his play on the ice isn’t helping a cup contending team. Moving him to the 4th line is an option, but who sits?

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
It’s hard to watch Steen and Backes play now. They were the heart and soul of this team for so many years and now they’re both just finished.

Reactions: BergMan

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Not sure why Blues need to trade anybody at this point but I disagree that Steen has no trade value. I would think teams like Florida, Carolina, Vancouver and Edmonton would benefit from his experience. These teams are starting to rise and lack depth and experience. With the exceptions of the Canes they also play little defense up front. The real question is the contract and what Army would have to add to move it. To me something around Steen, Sanford and Mike Hoffman makes a lot of sense. Sure Hoffman has a rep as a tool but so didn't a lot of other talented players. He automatically ups the Blues speed and has a deadly shot. Blues would be Beastly. Florida gets two guys that can play the style they need to play to advance. Hoffman would basically be a rental. Blues would probably need to add more but I see it as possible.

Last edited:

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Not sure why Blues need to trade anybody at this point but I disagree that Steen has trade value. I would think teams like Florida, Carolina, Vancouver and Edmonton would benefit from his experience. These teams are starting to rise and lack depth and experience. With the exceptions of the Canes they also play little defense up front. The real question is the contract and what Army would have to add to move it. To me something around Steen, Sanford and Mike Hoffman makes a lot of sense to me. Sure Hoffman has a rep as a tool but so didn't a lot of other talented players. He automatically ups the Blues speed and has a deadly shot. Blues would be Beastly. Florida gets two guys that can play the style they need to play to advance.Hoffman would basically be a rental. Blues would probably need to add more but I see it as possible.
Lies would have to add a lot more, and they could get an experienced and defensive forward that is better than Steen without losing Hoffman, who is likely to be their own “rental” unless Q decides to jettison him.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
The best option for the Blues and for Steen is to trade him in the offseason to another club who intends to buyout the last year of his contract. Steen would then be free to resign with the Blues or any other team on a more team friendly deal. We have seen other cap strapped teams make similar maneuvers in recent years. (Marleau and Orpik).

Steen is owed 3.5M for the last year of his contract. If bought out, he will be paid 2/3 of that amount. Steen could be made whole by signing a 1-year deal with the Blues or another club for 1.16M. The net result is that the Blues save more cap space going this route than if the Blues were to buyout Steen's last year.

In this hypothetical example, let's say Steen agrees to waive his NTC only is the acquiring team has committed to buying out his contract and that the Blues have a handshake deal in place to bring him back on a 1-year deal for 1.16M. The Blues save 4.58M in cap space in exchange for draft capital and/or prospects.

It cost Toronto a 1st round pick to move the last year of Marleau's contract. However, Carolina received no cap relief for executing the buyout since it was a 35+ contract (6.25M charge to the cap), and it could be argued that Toronto was backed into more of a corner than the Blues will be. Steen's carry over cap hit will be significantly less than Marleau. The Caps moved Orpik and Grubauer to Colorado and received a 2nd round pick in the deal. I think the Blues could manage to move Steen for a 2nd or could be packaged with other assets such that the Blues end up receiving draft pick compensation.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I don't get the Steen hate. He's been fine IMO. Not great, but he has fit in fine with Bozak and Thomas. He is ideally not a top 9 player at this point in his career, but can absolutely fill in for on a 3rd line while we are dealing with injuries. The guy is still 100% solid defensively and useful on the PK. Undoubtedly still a leader in the locker room.

Guess he's the new whipping boy with his cap hit and Sanford out of the lineup?

Reactions: JoshFromMO

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Its definitely against the rules but clearly it isnt enforced when Orpik and the Caps just did the same thing.

Yeah, as cup darlings don’t we get like 5 “get out of jail free” cards now? The problem is, what expendable pieces do we have that other teams would want to pay 2.3M in real cash for? The Avs really wanted Grubauer and had boatloads of cap space so they took Orpik to get the deal done.

Due to the crunch this year, way less teams have cap space to play with. Of course Ottawa has tons of space but Melnyk probably wouldn’t even spend 2.3 on a 1st round pick... I would love to “Orpik” Steen this off-season but what I’d be willing to offer (Sandford + 2nd) probably isn’t enticing enough for the available teams to pull the trigger.

Reactions: cardinalnation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad