Blues sign Sergeev to ELC

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He's already played two games with Kitchner, so I'm not sure if he played. I remember him being in one of the preseason lineups, but I think he was listed as an extra skater. He must have impressed someone though.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Kind of out of nowhere.
He's a "sleeper". He's big and an excellent skater and puckhandler, and good at positioning. He's good on the breakout, transitions well. He needs to add strength, put a little more physicality in his game, and develop a better shot, improve his passing skills (although they are not bad at all), and improve his overall defensive game (as ALL young defencemen must do).

You can't teach size, and when mobility comes with it, you've got something good. He's worth the gamble. The Blues don't have an overload of contracts, so adding him brings little risk.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
He's a "sleeper". He's big and an excellent skater and puckhandler, and good at positioning. He's good on the breakout, transitions well. He needs to add strength, put a little more physicality in his game, and develop a better shot, improve his passing skills (although they are not bad at all), and improve his overall defensive game (as ALL young defencemen must do).

So as long as he learns how to play the game of hockey, he should be a good one.

(I know what Robb's saying, I just chuckled at how it read)

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Here's one take

23. Kitchener Rangers - Dmitry Sergeyev - Defense
The Rangers (on the same day that it was announced Steve Spott was leaving the team for the AHL), opted for a physical Russian defender to make their blueline a little harder to play against. He was a member of team Russia at this year's World Under 17 Hockey Challenge.
Scouting Report: Sean Lafortune says, "A strong, shut down defender who left an impression at the U17 tournament. On a team filled with offensively dynamic forwards, Sergeyev stood out as a hard nosed, aggressive defender. A patient, positional defender who plays hard minutes. Not flashy, efficient and poised. Possesses a good, stable stride, however can work on speed, most notably in transition. Handles the puck with poise and precision, though misses some creativity and imagination. Stickhandling is on the stiff size, however he seems to have confidence in his ability." Alessandro Seren Rosso says, "He is a defensive dmen, plays physically, but will work hard to take his style to NA, especially with his lack of size."

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If I remember correctly, he was taken 1st overall in the CHL import draft, so obviously he's got some skill. I'd expect a better season out of him this year. I'd be willing to bet that learning English and adjusting to a different style of game took a toll on him. I'll be interested to see how he does this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad