Confirmed with Link: Blues sign Patrick Maroon (1 year @$1.75m) - ORIGINAL 2018 SIGNING THREAD

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Fun fact. Hoosier is only a derogatory term in St. Louis. I originally heard it was people from Indiana coming to St. Louis in the 30s to cross a picket line from striking union members so obviously that didn't sit well. The other story I heard is a lot of people from Indiana moved to Fenton (suburb of STL) to work at the Chrysler plant when it opened up and they were dirty enough that the word hoosier became an insult haha

It's derogatory everywhere but Indiana

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Seems to me "Hoosier" is a way to categorize and put people down to make the person using it feel better about themselves. Maybe I am taking it too personally since I grew up in Indiana. But I have met people in Indiana, in the south, in Missouri, who fit some of the descriptions being used in this thread, and they are the nicest people you'll ever meet. They'd give the shirt off their back to someone in need. Now the non-Hossier would probably scoff at the fact it is maybe a white tank top or a Lynard Skinner concert T-shirt or whatever stereotype fits. But I'd much rather judge a person by who they are then what they have or their choice of hobbies/music, where they live, etc.. 99.9999% of all people in the world seem like an uncultured lout to someone.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Seems to me "Hoosier" is a way to categorize and put people down to make the person using it feel better about themselves. Maybe I am taking it too personally since I grew up in Indiana. But I have met people in Indiana, in the south, in Missouri, who fit some of the descriptions being used in this thread, and they are the nicest people you'll ever meet. They'd give the shirt off their back to someone in need. Now the non-Hossier would probably scoff at the fact it is maybe a white tank top or a Lynard Skinner concert T-shirt or whatever stereotype fits. But I'd much rather judge a person by who they are then what they have or their choice of hobbies/music, where they live, etc.. 99.9999% of all people in the world seem like an uncultured lout to someone.

Yes and no. There is definitely a gray area between good-natured teasing and degrading people. "White trash," for example, is about class, which is not something that's okay to shame someone about. To me, that's not in the gray area at all. I like to think of "hoosier" as about inconsiderate behavior, but I also recognize both that it has associations with an entire state and plenty of people use it interchangeably with superficial or cultural traits.

But then I think about how Iowans have jokes about people from Missouri not wearing shoes and it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, a stereotype like that about an entire state is necessarily absurd to the point at which it's difficult for me to see it as anything but good-natured.
But, then again, I realize that I haven't actually called anyone a hoosier since I was a teenager. Possibly because moving away from St. Louis helped prune that colloquial use; but maybe also because, on some level, I recognize that it's not good-natured enough. For my priorities, anyway.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The "Hoosier posts" may be off topic. But it's off-season now, and a dead spot between summer news. And, so, not so invasive. So, I think it's nice for us non-St. Louis raised Blues fans to learn local facts and history about St. Louis. The more we learn about your town, the less we feel like outsiders. That's why I read local articles and listen to The Blues TV and radio broadcasts. And, sometimes, I listen to player interviews and radio broadcasts on local sports shows with call-in fan guests.

Reactions: Default

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
The "Hoosier posts" may be off topic. But it's off-season now, and a dead spot between summer news. And, so, not so invasive. So, I think it's nice for us non-St. Louis raised Blues fans to learn local facts and history about St. Louis. The more we learn about your town, the less we feel like outsiders. That's why I read local articles and listen to The Blues TV and radio broadcasts. And, sometimes, I listen to player interviews and radio broadcasts on local sports shows with call-in fan guests.

Reading the Post Dispatch might get depressing given the constant stories about crime. There are bad areas in this city that drag us all down. Here is a source of more local news with less violence and mayhem:
Three St. Louis Newspapers - One Mission. Local News You Can Use

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Reading the Post Dispatch might get depressing given the constant stories about crime. There are bad areas in this city that drag us all down. Here is a source of more local news with less violence and mayhem:
Three St. Louis Newspapers - One Mission. Local News You Can Use
I saw East St. Louis in the late 1950s and early 1960s, and "The Black Bottom" in Detroit in the late '50s and early '60s. and Downtown Oakland and Hunter's Point in San Francisco in The Early 1960s, and Watts and Willowbrook in L.A. in The early 1960s, and worked from 1963-72 deep in Chicago's South Side, and saw its West Side during all those years, plus saw The Ghettos of Washington D,C,. Baltimore, Harlem(NY), Cleveland, Milwaukee, Indianapolis (all looking for old R&B and early Soul records). I also worked in South Los Angeles during the time of The Watts Riots. So, I know what tough neighbourhoods can look like.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I saw East St. Louis in the late 1950s and early 1960s, and "The Black Bottom" in Detroit in the late '50s and early '60s. and Downtown Oakland and Hunter's Point in San Francisco in The Early 1960s, and Watts and Willowbrook in L.A. in The early 1960s, and worked from 1963-72 deep in Chicago's South Side, and saw its West Side during all those years, plus saw The Ghettos of Washington D,C,. Baltimore, Harlem(NY), Cleveland, Milwaukee, Indianapolis (all looking for old R&B and early Soul records). I also worked in South Los Angeles during the time of The Watts Riots. So, I know what tough neighbourhoods can look like.

Wow...you should write a book on urban survival techniques.

Reactions: The Note in MI

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

Lynard Skinner

how has this even happened

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Maroon is on hockey talk with Strickland. This guy is just winning me over even more. Listening to him, I dont think well hear the independent contractor comments with him

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Maroon is on hockey talk with Strickland. This guy is just winning me over even more. Listening to him, I dont think well hear the independent contractor comments with him
It’s pretty hard to be an “independent contractor” when you took a one-year deal at below market value.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Sometimes all you need are guys who love the game, love the town, and will do what it takes to bring the Cup home.

Elite players looking for big city lights or a sandy beach look elsewhere. St. Louis isn't for you.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013

Maroon was on Spittin’ Chicklets today also. He was candid about it. He’s not happy he ended up with a one year deal. Agree that we’re getting a highly motivated hockey player.

Spittin Chiclets by Barstool Sports on Apple Podcasts

Reactions: PizzaPietrangelo

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Might be able to search for it elsewhere. From his side, I’m not sure he really had the reported offer based off this interview.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad