GDT: Blues @ Sharks 11/17 @ 7:30

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
This was more of what we’re used to. Solid defending, as a a team and working the offensive pressure.
THIS is how good we are. This is the talent we have and it’s starting to come together.
It brings to mind a quote attributed to the great Herb Brooks, he told his players, “The name on the front of the jersey is a hella lot more important than the one on the back.”
This is our team and we are a very good team.

Go Sharks!!

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Remember when he was washed up?

Yep, ten games ago was a really wild time. :laugh:

Pavelski does this to us every single season. At this point, I’m convinced that he is going to be 47 years old, literally skating through mud for the first ten games and we’re going to be like “wow, guys, I think he’s finally done for real this time...” and then he’s going to finish the season with 60 points. :laugh:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Focusing on EK65 for a second, any clues as to why he went straight to the bench after scoring the goal?
I’m not complaining, I simply found it odd. I can’t remember ever seeing that before.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Focusing on EK65 for a second, any clues as to why he went straight to the bench after scoring the goal?
I’m not complaining, I simply found it odd. I can’t remember ever seeing that before.

He probably was just so excited and panicked haha

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good win last night. Karlsson got his 1st goal. He has 4 pts. in 2 games I believe so I think he's getting it together. Hope he keeps it up.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Seems like Jumbo has been playing around 12 minutes a game this week - smart if PDB is going to limit his minutes in the regular season. The top two lines have been good without him (not a knock, but chemistry wise they have performed better..) and let's him stay fresh for when we need him

I dunno if it’s a plan or just the reality that Jumbo seems to have lost a step. Not saying he isn’t still finding his game, but he is far from the dominant 1C of a few seasons ago. I don’t think he has earned much more than 12 minutes a game at this point. He still has some monster tools that place him a step above your average 3c, such as that shot, hockey IQ, and simple experience, but he isn’t making those game breaking plays or boasting possession much any more. Maybe he’ll find his groove again, I am not going to write him off, but I don’t think he is the same player he was.

Reactions: Phu

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Last nights game was the best all season I thought. All 4 lines contributed, and our stars were noticeable. Karlsson doing what he does best, and that is pass,shoot, and skate. He was a force last night! Dell was composed and made some great saves. He should get the next start against the Oilers.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Basically, "We asked Pete to please tell the defense to let Burns and Karlsson handle the offensive stuff and Vlassic and the other defensemen need to let go the delusion that they're Paul Coffey and actually play some ****in defense." :laugh:

Honestly, I think Braun was better than Vlasic last night. He was definitely going the extra mile to make those plays to suppress shots and keep the opposition off the score board. Really showed that he was more than just a free rider on the Vlasic- Braun pairing. I dunno what Vlasic’s problem has been this season, but I just don’t see the same heart I am getting from Dillion and Braun. He really does seem to be trying to assert himself offensively, and moving away from his bread and butter safe-steady defensive play. All season he has only looked so-so defensively while trying to make stupid Burns-sequel offensive plays. He needs to get back to his roots and play the solid defensive game that gets him a better xGF% than Burns and Karlsson. We have two of the best offensive defenseman in the league, we don’t need a third. We need the best defensive defenseman in the league, that has shutdown some of the best players in the league over the past decade back.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I dunno if it’s a plan or just the reality that Jumbo seems to have lost a step. Not saying he isn’t still finding his game, but he is far from the dominant 1C of a few seasons ago. I don’t think he has earned much more than 12 minutes a game at this point. He still has some monster tools that place him a step above your average 3c, such as that shot, hockey IQ, and simple experience, but he isn’t making those game breaking plays or boasting possession much any more. Maybe he’ll find his groove again, I am not going to write him off, but I don’t think he is the same player he was.

I’m actually not sure Jumbo has lost a step. I think he’s getting into game shape still, but he seems to look incrementally better to me every game. He had some great Jumbo plays last game — there was one moment where he held the puck while three Blues players trying to get it away from him.. that’s classic Joe.

Remember, he’s getting over a major injury and surgery while also not playing for almost a year. I’m going to make a prediction that we’re all going to be talking about how amazing he is near the end of the year.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Honestly, I think Braun was better than Vlasic last night. He was definitely going the extra mile to make those plays to suppress shots and keep the opposition off the score board. Really showed that he was more than just a free rider on the Vlasic- Braun pairing. I dunno what Vlasic’s problem has been this season, but I just don’t see the same heart I am getting from Dillion and Braun. He really does seem to be trying to assert himself offensively, and moving away from his bread and butter safe-steady defensive play. All season he has only looked so-so defensively while trying to make stupid Burns-sequel offensive plays. He needs to get back to his roots and play the solid defensive game that gets him a better xGF% than Burns and Karlsson. We have two of the best offensive defenseman in the league, we don’t need a third. We need the best defensive defenseman in the league, that has shutdown some of the best players in the league over the past decade back.
Vlasic got his money and now he's riding the easy life.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
They keep passing every test some adversity comes and gives us a check. We beat the predators a 2nd time, and now we responded to St Louis and Erik Karlsson scored his first goal as a San Jose Shark! Heck yeees!

Reactions: Phu

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
That's probably because Braun was a dumpster fire the last couple prior to this one... The whole D was much better in this game. One of Dillons best this season IMO

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Been so long since he last scored that he panicked.

Seriously though, no idea and don't think it really matters.

My theory is that Burns has been ribbing him about it so he turned to him first lol

Jumbo's possession game is coming back into form. As of this moment he has lost a step but hopefully that can improve as he gets games past the injury.

He was skating hard in the first I noticed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Jumbo's possession game is coming back into form. As of this moment he has lost a step but hopefully that can improve as he gets games past the injury.

He was skating hard in the first I noticed.

Yeah totally agree, last night was the first time this year I actually thought to myself "hey there's the Thornton I remember" on a couple shifts. Moving the puck well, possessing the puck for long periods of time waiting for a lane to open up, he looked good.

I think hes rounding into shape, glad that hes getting less minutes while he does that though, keep easing him back to the best shape he can be in, then see what level that is and give him ice time accordingly. He also has some nice chemistry with scorenson.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Yeah totally agree, last night was the first time this year I actually thought to myself "hey there's the Thornton I remember" on a couple shifts. Moving the puck well, possessing the puck for long periods of time waiting for a lane to open up, he looked good.

I think hes rounding into shape, glad that hes getting less minutes while he does that though, keep easing him back to the best shape he can be in, then see what level that is and give him ice time accordingly. He also has some nice chemistry with scorenson.
It's probably even better he's rounding up his game on the 3rd line, and learning little things that he can take advantage of playing from the 3rd center position. This is all the things you'd like to see during the regular season of a deep championship team.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
So I just looked up that India TV USA and found their website. They do have a sports section, but the Sharks have their own dedicated section. They are a San Jose based it looks like, with a 408 area code.
USA San Jose Sharks Hockey Archives - INDTVUSA

You know think you for looking this up. Everytime they've talked to Pavelski this year there was a reporter with a foreign accent and I get really curious. Have the sharks gone global? They can barely get any traction in the Bay Area.

RickyHP

May 9, 2013
Bay Area, CA
They keep passing every test some adversity comes and gives us a check. We beat the predators a 2nd time, and now we responded to St Louis and Erik Karlsson scored his first goal as a San Jose Shark! Heck yeees!
the split second leading up to it as the puck drifted out front, while all at the same time seeing karlsson come down the middle...you just knew. it was amazing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->