Blues Schwartz Leaving To The Dub?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Head coaching yes but across the board? Coaching is probabky one of the key reasons why teams want players in the CHL.

If your prospect is going to one of the top teams then coaching probably isn't a big problem though certain teams favor CHL or don't like specific college programs. Then again there are some poorly coached programs in the CHL to.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Yes he can, case in point is Jeremy Morin and Brandon Pirri.
It all boils down to what league they were drafted from.
Schwartz, Morin and Pirri weren't drafted from the CHL so the CHL agreement doesn't come into affect.
Morin actually played one year in Kitchener before the Hawks sent him to the AHL as an underager because he was drafted
from the USNDTP (USHL)

Not if the teams who selected him in their bantam or midget drafts retain the players rights. Pirri was dropped by Sudbury. Morin was never drafted by an OHL team, he was listed by Kitchener which is a big difference. Tri-City has never dropped Jaden's rights.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
If your prospect is going to one of the top teams then coaching probably isn't a big problem though certain teams favor CHL or don't like specific college programs. Then again there are some poorly coached programs in the CHL to.

Those teams usually don't have the connections to even bother drafting these players anyway. V

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Not if the teams who selected him in their bantam or midget drafts retain the players rights. Pirri was dropped by Sudbury. Morin was never drafted by an OHL team, he was listed by Kitchener which is a big difference. Tri-City has never dropped Jaden's rights.

The other poster was correct.

The rule only applies to players drafted from the CHL. A CHL team owning someones rights does not apply to the agreement.

In fact, this rule actually came into question recently involving a player you call out here, Jeremy Morin. The scenario in question was not identical to Schwartz of course, but the upholding of the rule still proves it.

The NHL ruled that the letter of the law is exactly how it reads, the agreement only applies to players drafted to the NHL from the CHL:

http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhocke...ication-but-CHL-shoul?urn=juniorhockey-269955
http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey/news?slug=ss-morin082610
http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhocke...Jeremy-Morin-can-turn?urn=juniorhockey-269719

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Doesn't the above article state that Morin was not drafted by a CHL team so the NHL did not follow the NHL-CHL agreement? Tri-City drafted Schwartz and retained his rights all these years. Would that not follow the rules set by the NHL-CHL agreement then?

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Doesn't the above article state that Morin was not drafted by a CHL team so the NHL did not follow the NHL-CHL agreement? Tri-City drafted Schwartz and retained his rights all these years. Would that not follow the rules set by the NHL-CHL agreement then?

No you are misinterpreting. It is saying that he wasnt drafted to the NHL from the CHL.

The CHL drafts/ownership dont have anything to do with it. Read the first link which mentions Julian Melchiori and how he can go to the AHL at any time because he wasnt drafted out of the CHL, yet he clearly had CHL ownership all along, and was drafted by an OHL team, it is all based on his NHL draft.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
One thing people seem to forget is that there is a big discrepancy in the quality of competition depending on the league the player is in.

Generally speaking, WHCA, CCHA, and HEA are considered to be above the other leagues. ECAC comes 4th and then AH comes last in terms of strength of competing teams. Those top 3 leagues is also where most of the potential NHL talent is developing, as well.

While CHL has depth across the board in all leagues, the NCAA is a bit shallower in its talent pool (as is reflected by the fact that most American-born players play in the NCAA and fewer Americans play hockey than the number of Canadians). You'll always note that within each league, there are teams that are perennial contenders with the most NHL talent: WCHA (North Dakota, Minnesota, Denver, Wisconsin), CCHA (Michigan, Michigan State, Miami, Notre Dame), HEA (Boston College, Boston University, Maine, New Hampshire).

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Morin was never drafted by an OHL team, he was listed by Kitchener which is a big difference. Tri-City has never dropped Jaden's rights.

Morin was drafted in the 2007 OHL 4th round while D'Amigo
was selected the same year in the 12th round.
(The Rangers also selected Cam Fowler in the first round that
year but never did sign him...not a bad draft by Kitchener
considering the 2010-11 OHL leading scorer Jason Akeson was also selected that same draft)

http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/page/draft-information

* Cam Fowler played one year in the OHL with Windsor due to his late birthday
then was drafted by the NHL from Windsor. Therefore it was the NHL or Windsor
this past season for him.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
If he was going to leave he should have done it before he played a full year in the USHL. He came close to dominating the NCAA. Dominating players older than he is. Now going to a younger league is not going to do a whole lot.

Last year the WCHA lost to the dub.

Tyler Pitlick went from WCHA 38games 19points. WHL 56games 68points
Josh Birkholz 36 games 6 points to 68 games 29 points
David Toews 32 games 15 points to 60 games 48 points.

Jayden Schwartz 30 games and 47 points.

If a taleted guy like Pitlick goes from .5 points to just over 1. Or roughly doubled. Schwartz would go from 1.5 to probally over 2 for sure, maybe 2.5 even. Just go the AHL or NHL instead of the WHL.

I think NHL teams like CHL clubs becasue they have more control. On a stacked NCAA team any given player will not play in every situation and cannot a easily attend NHL camps.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
It's not really speculation when he says that the Blues have talked to Tri City about it.

It's not just him saying that the Americans would be interested, because obviously they would be.

The fact that the Blues have talked about it is the interesting part here.

It says Tri-City has talked to the Blues. Of course they would have. I take what Strickland says with a huge grain of salt.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
He could do that in the AHL which would be more of a challenge than tearing it up against junior players. Personally I don't think it makes much sense as an option, he should either stay in college where he gets the benefits of education and more weight room time or go pro and have the rigors of a tough schedule and tougher opponents.

he wouldn't get as much icetime in Peoria.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'd like to see him in the WHL. I literally NEVER get to see any NCAA games so it would be nice to get some more exposure to him.

And I am a CC fan so no way would I want him to leave to the dub.

My opinion is he will stay. He came strictly to Colorado College because his brother was here.

As for the his development, there's nothing waiting for him in the dub. He is already THAT good! As a poster said above NCAA is the better path for him because he has much more time practicing on his weaknesses and building his frame which is his only knock.

The guy is EXTREMELY smart and has insane vision. Also has very good shot accuracy, but he can work on his release and the heaviness of it.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Pure speulation on my part....but if the Blues did talk to jaden and asked him to consider the whl I think a few things could have contributed to that decision:

1) since tri-city owns his rights he would have to play in the CHL and would be allowed to practice with the Blues. Which would allow him to train with professionals, proper nutrition program, team building, they would get to see first hand exactly what he needs to work on and they would be able to give him a taste of the NHL with a 9 game trial, send him back to juniors to work on his weaknesses and progress ala Alex Pietrangelo. We all have seen how well that has worked out for the Blues this year. He is arguably the Blues best player as a freakin rookie. Some questioned the teams handling of him, now the teams exec's look like geniuses and know what's best for their prospects.

2) him leaving college would also allow him to earn an income and maybe(pure speculation) be able to help his family pay for the exotbanant expenses related to his sisters tragic illness.

3) the longer schedule is a very valid point made by some here, but I feel like Jaden would absolutely destroy the Whl. He scores at a 1.5 game pace on a decent College team, his rookie year is almost identical to Parise's rookie season. I only bring that up because that's who McGuire compared him to.

But for the most part is that it would allow the Blues to have a hands on approach to his development. While in the NCAA, the Blues can't/don't/not allowed to have much interaction since it's NCAA policy(which really doesn't mean much:sarcasm:).

I personally think I would be great for his development as a player to destroy competition his age and have the Blues input on how to become a professional player.

Just a few thoughts, please feel free to disagree in respectful manner.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
His situation reads very similar to Kyle Turris to me. Either stay at school and get physically stronger or make the move to major junior. Either way, he is not ready for professional hockey next season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad