Blues Schwartz Leaving To The Dub?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Surprised their hasn't been a thread on this yet....

Rumours surfaced yesterday that Jaden Schwartz might be heading to the Tri City Americans of the WHL, leaving Colorado College.

He was a first round pick of the St. Louis Blues last year and was a late round pick of Tri City in the 2007 WHL draft, they still hold his rights.

It's an interesting situation, but I think that he would get the benefit of playing a much tougher schedule, 72 games, with big time travel.

I think he would tear the WHL a-****ing-part as a 19 year old if he did make the switch. I could see 120 points from him next year easily.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Where did you see this? Interesting how he was the leading scorer for rookies in the NCAA dispite only playing in 30 games. I would love to see him in the WHL just so I could watch him play more.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
I'd like to see him in the WHL. I literally NEVER get to see any NCAA games so it would be nice to get some more exposure to him.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
I don't think he's old enough for the AHL. Domestic players have to be 20, I believe? While international players don't have to be.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
I don't think he's old enough for the AHL. Domestic players have to be 20, I believe? While international players don't have to be.

Thats only players drafted out of the CHL. So in other words players that ARE NOT drafted out of the CHL can play in the AHL at any age after they are drafted. (This includes Europe, NCAA, etc)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Sounds like just pure speculation, at this stage, on Strickland's part. I surely believe him that Tri-City will try to get Jaden to leave CC and head to the WHL. Sources saying Tri-City wants him is stating the obvious. Just like Everett wants Seth Jones. Portland wants Rocco Grimaldi. Kitchener wants Jacob Trouba, etc. Just like Tri-City, it's stating the obvious and something you don't need sources for.

I'd be surprised to see Schwartz leave his brother to move to the WHL. AHL/NHL? Sure.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Schwartz would absolutely destroy the Dub. He would probably get 100+ pts in 60 - 65 games.

Would rather see him continue to flourish in the NCAA and challenge for the Hobey Baker. Thats how good this kid is

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
Thats only players drafted out of the CHL. So in other words players that ARE NOT drafted out of the CHL can play in the AHL at any age after they are drafted. (This includes Europe, NCAA, etc)

The more you know! :yo:

Once he plays for Tri-City, he can't play for Peoria until his WHL season is over, correct? There's no "10 game trial" like there is for the NHL .. ?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Sounds like just pure speculation, at this stage, on Strickland's part. I surely believe him that Tri-City will try to get Jaden to leave CC and head to the WHL. Sources saying Tri-City wants him is stating the obvious. Just like Everett wants Seth Jones. Portland wants Rocco Grimaldi. Kitchener wants Jacob Trouba, etc. Just like Tri-City, it's stating the obvious and something you don't need sources for.

I'd be surprised to see Schwartz leave his brother to move to the WHL. AHL/NHL? Sure.

Exactly. This is pure speculation on Strickland's part. All he's saying is that Tri-City holds his WHL rights (duh, they have since 2007, correct?) and that Tri-City would love to have him (again, duh). There's really no substance to it at all. Who knows what Jaden's intentions really are but given that his brother plays at CC, he chose CC over Tri-City originally, and the WHL likely wouldn't challenge him much (he would be a super skilled 19 yr in a league of primarily 16-19 yr olds) I'd be a bit surprised if he left CC to go play for Tri-City. Add to that that the main thing Schwartz really needs to do before reaching the NHL is to put on some more muscle and the NCAA's lighter game schedule should actually help with that as it would allow for more time in the gym.

My guess is somebody mentioned the possibility to Strickland and he ran with it and created a story. He seems to do that a lot. Also, Strickland is not the main Blues beat writer. He's a blogger that was lucky enough to get a press pass to home games.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Exactly. This is pure speculation on Strickland's part. All he's saying is that Tri-City holds his WHL rights (duh, they have since 2007, correct?) and that Tri-City would love to have him (again, duh). There's really no substance to it at all. Who knows what Jaden's intentions really are but given that his brother plays at CC, he chose CC over Tri-City originally, and the WHL likely wouldn't challenge him much (he would be a super skilled 19 yr in a league of primarily 16-19 yr olds) I'd be a bit surprised if he left CC to go play for Tri-City. Add to that that the main thing Schwartz really needs to do before reaching the NHL is to put on some more muscle and the NCAA's lighter game schedule should actually help with that as it would allow for more time in the gym.

My guess is somebody mentioned the possibility to Strickland and he ran with it and created a story. He seems to do that a lot. Also, Strickland is not the main Blues beat writer. He's a blogger that was lucky enough to get a press pass to home games.

It's not really speculation when he says that the Blues have talked to Tri City about it.

It's not just him saying that the Americans would be interested, because obviously they would be.

The fact that the Blues have talked about it is the interesting part here.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It's not really speculation when he says that the Blues have talked to Tri City about it.

It's not just him saying that the Americans would be interested, because obviously they would be.

The fact that the Blues have talked about it is the interesting part here.

That's still really nothing. Tri-City wants Jaden. Ok, obviously. Tri-City is going to try and do everything to convince Jaden and his family to move to the WHL, like talking to the prospect's NHL team. Ok, obvious again. Stuff like this is happening all the time with a good number of prospects. It doesn't really mean anything other than whatever team doesn't have said prospect wants them. Expected.

It'd be one thing if Strickland said: "My sources tell me that the Blues have approached Jaden and are trying to convince him to leave CC and go to the WHL." That would be concrete. That would be interesting.

Of course the Blues have talked about it internally. Strickland doesn't say anything about them having brought it up with Jaden, or even initiating the conversation with Tri-City, both which would actually be something noteworthy. Pretty much every team has their preference on where a prospect should play. The Blues knew Jaden was going to CC before they drafted him. He went to CC after they drafted him. I just don't see what's changed where they're like, "Now Jaden, it's time to move to Tri-City." If their preference was that strong, why even wait? These things come up when a player is scouted, interviewed, and after he's drafted.

I'm not taking sides on where Jaden is better served. He could quite possibly go to Tri-City. He could head to St. Louis to try and make the team and end up in Peoria. I'm just saying Strickland really isn't telling anyone here something they wouldn't already know.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Is there much point in him going to the WHL? If he's going to leave CC he may as well go Pro.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Twice as many games. Harder schedule with more travel.

He could do that in the AHL which would be more of a challenge than tearing it up against junior players. Personally I don't think it makes much sense as an option, he should either stay in college where he gets the benefits of education and more weight room time or go pro and have the rigors of a tough schedule and tougher opponents.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
He could do that in the AHL which would be more of a challenge than tearing it up against junior players. Personally I don't think it makes much sense as an option, he should either stay in college where he gets the benefits of education and more weight room time or go pro and have the rigors of a tough schedule and tougher opponents.

After seeing how some of the American 91s (+Pirri) have struggled to adjust to the AHL after 1 year of college / junior, id be hesitant to throw Jaden into that.

Mind you I havent seen much of his game, but for a lot of 19 year olds in the AHL they arent big enough to contribute offensively, and while their hockey sense allows them to get by, their offence may stagnate

I have always said that if a player goes to college, he should stay there for at least 2 years, and if hes dominated, then move up to the AHL, or if hes ready the big leagues.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
After seeing how some of the American 91s (+Pirri) have struggled to adjust to the AHL after 1 year of college / junior, id be hesitant to throw Jaden into that.

Mind you I havent seen much of his game, but for a lot of 19 year olds in the AHL they arent big enough to contribute offensively, and while their hockey sense allows them to get by, their offence may stagnate

I have always said that if a player goes to college, he should stay there for at least 2 years, and if hes dominated, then move up to the AHL, or if hes ready the big leagues.

Agreed, there is no point to rush him to the AHL just because he's had a great rookie season.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Surprised their hasn't been a thread on this yet....

Rumours surfaced yesterday that Jaden Schwartz might be heading to the Tri City Americans of the WHL, leaving Colorado College.

He was a first round pick of the St. Louis Blues last year and was a late round pick of Tri City in the 2007 WHL draft, they still hold his rights.

It's an interesting situation, but I think that he would get the benefit of playing a much tougher schedule, 72 games, with big time travel.

I think he would tear the WHL a-****ing-part as a 19 year old if he did make the switch. I could see 120 points from him next year easily.

I'm a huge Schwartz fan, but I think 120 points is blowing things a little out of proportion.

I could however see him getting 95-105 points....and with another showing at the WJC those seem like nice totals.

I really hope for his development that this is true...

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Twice as many games. Harder schedule with more travel.

Less practice time and usually less work-outs. The only thing stoping schwartz right now is his lack of bulk for a guy his size. CC apparently has a good strength/conditioning program which is really good for him to bulk up.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Schwartz would absolutely destroy the Dub. He would probably get 100+ pts in 60 - 65 games.

Would rather see him continue to flourish in the NCAA and challenge for the Hobey Baker. Thats how good this kid is

The "W" isn't as high scoring as other other 2 CHL leagues. Only 4 players this past regular season cracked 100 points.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Speculation usually has some truth to it. It would probably do him well to go the WHL. Just like it would do Jones, Grimaldi, Trouba to all go to the CHL, which I think they'll all do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->