Confirmed with Link: Blues Re-sign Sundqvist for 1yr/$700k

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Easy contract to try to pass through waivers, and I'd be stunned if anybody claimed him.

Reactions: 67Blues

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
We'll have 4 good PK guys, but after that its very bad. So Sundqvist will fight #11-#12 spot on and maybe get it. He's only Guy who can play PK minutes so he'll get advance against them, Zandford, Soshnikov, Barbashev, Thorburn, Kyrou, Thomas.

#1 ROR - Steen
#2 Schenn - Schwartz
#3 Sundqvist - Perron

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
We'll have 4 good PK guys, but after that its very bad. So Sundqvist will fight #11-#12 spot on and maybe get it. He's only Guy who can play PK minutes so he'll get advance against them, Zandford, Soshnikov, Barbashev, Thorburn, Kyrou, Thomas.

#1 ROR - Steen
#2 Schenn - Schwartz
#3 Sundqvist - Perron

I don't think his ability to play PK would keep him on this team over others. Barbashev, Jaskin, and Soshnikov are all better options on the 4th line and to contribute on a wider margin than just PK. Maybe I'm being too harsh on him, but watching the kid last season, he'll always be a #13-14 forward.

Reactions: sfvega and 67Blues

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I don't think his ability to play PK would keep him on this team over others. Barbashev, Jaskin, and Soshnikov are all better options on the 4th line and to contribute on a wider margin than just PK. Maybe I'm being too harsh on him, but watching the kid last season, he'll always be a #13-14 forward.
Yeah jaskin is physical but other than that, I’ll take Sundqvist over jaskin. Sundqvist is wayyyy smarter positionally and could be an important PK’er for us, which helps save the likes of ROR, schwartz, schenn etc....and minimizes the chance of one of our big guns gettin injured on a shot block etc...

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Yeah jaskin is physical but other than that, I’ll take Sundqvist over jaskin. Sundqvist is wayyyy smarter positionally and could be an important PK’er for us, which helps save the likes of ROR, schwartz, schenn etc....and minimizes the chance of one of our big guns gettin injured on a shot block etc...

I don't think Jaskin's only trait over Sundqvist is physical. Sunny has never played W. Sunny's offensive abilities are behind Jaskin's, Barbashev's, Soshnikov's, etc. Sundqvist is an excellent defender, but I guess I'm arguing that the others could be coached up.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I don't think Jaskin's only trait over Sundqvist is physical. Sunny has never played W. Sunny's offensive abilities are behind Jaskin's, Barbashev's, Soshnikov's, etc. Sundqvist is an excellent defender, but I guess I'm arguing that the others could be coached up.
I remember seeing him on wing last year and thought he was fine. Every puck got out of the zone, every puck got deep, I remember thinking wow he’s really good along the wall in the d-zone as well etc...he plays a perfect 4th line C or W Imo and kills penalties which I think your really underrating the value of. To me, he’s in the realm of a poor mans Jay Beagle

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I won’t be even remotely surprised if he wins the 4th line C spot. He’s allergic to offense but he’s really solid defensively and that is pretty big for a 4th line guy.

Reactions: mk80

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I remember seeing him on wing last year and thought he was fine. Every puck got out of the zone, every puck got deep, I remember thinking wow he’s really good along the wall in the d-zone as well etc...he plays a perfect 4th line C or W Imo and kills penalties which I think your really underrating the value of. To me, he’s in the realm of a poor mans Jay Beagle

I don't think I'm undervaluing Sundqvist or his PK abilities. He's quite talented at it. I think I've valuing the offensive upside of Barbashev and Jaskin more. Both are better possession players then Sundqvist. Penalty killing is absolutely a skill but one that could be taught more so than offensive talent. If the top 3 lines are scoring like they should, having Sundqvist in over Jaskin, Barbashev, or Soshnikov is probably fine, but if they aren't then Sundqvist can't be the one in there.

I do take back my statements on Sundqvist being awful at faceoffs. Barbashev was worse, but he also took far fewer. Sundqvist played primarily center and spent very little time on the wing while Barbashev, mostly because Sundqvist had never played wing, played wing.

Sundqvists PK ability didn't help him stay in the line up last year. I highly doubt it will this year. Again, he's not a bad #13/#14 player but I think he'll start as an extra or in the minors.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Winning out over Barbie?

Yes.
Don’t get me wrong, Barbs clearly is more skilled, but Sundqvist plays a grinders style and I can easily see Yeo preferring that. And I don’t know that Sundqvist would be bad in that role. He shouldn’t have an overly high bar offensively in that role.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Yes.
Don’t get me wrong, Barbs clearly is more skilled, but Sundqvist plays a grinders style and I can easily see Yeo preferring that. And I don’t know that Sundqvist would be bad in that role. He shouldn’t have an overly high bar offensively in that role.
+1 that. Barbashev is 3rd line offensive forward more then 4th line defensive what we're missing right now. Sundqvist is easily better fit on 4th line then Barbashev.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Sundqvists PK ability didn't help him stay in the line up last year. I highly doubt it will this year. Again, he's not a bad #13/#14 player but I think he'll start as an extra or in the minors.

We no longer have 6 of our top 7 players in terms of overall TOI while shorthanded from last season. Not only that, we lost our #1 killer, who led in SH TOI by a mile (141 minutes compared to 93 minutes for our #2 killer. Steen and Schenn are the only 2 players we are returning who had more SH TOI than Sundqvist.

ROR can eat a lot of SH TOI and Perron can kill some. But there is a major vacuum that needs to get filled. His PK ability didn't keep in the lineup lasy year because we had an abundance of guys who could do it as well as him throughout the forward group. That's no longer true and his PK ability is a much bigger need than it was last year.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
We no longer have 6 of our top 7 players in terms of overall TOI while shorthanded from last season. Not only that, we lost our #1 killer, who led in SH TOI by a mile (141 minutes compared to 93 minutes for our #2 killer. Steen and Schenn are the only 2 players we are returning who had more SH TOI than Sundqvist.

ROR can eat a lot of SH TOI and Perron can kill some. But there is a major vacuum that needs to get filled. His PK ability didn't keep in the lineup lasy year because we had an abundance of guys who could do it as well as him throughout the forward group. That's no longer true and his PK ability is a much bigger need than it was last year.

Bolded: it makes me sad, 'cus him winning roster spot jsut for that is laughable. I don't know what wen't wrong with Brodziak, but man f***.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Bolded: it makes me sad, 'cus him winning roster spot jsut for that is laughable. I don't know what wen't wrong with Brodziak, but man ****.
Based on what Beagle, Roussel, and Komarov got compared to Brodziak, I think he wanted to play at home and took a hometown discount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->