Blues Prospects Thread 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
i think Hoffman has improved defensively this year, but even the other night he was on the wrong side of a player who scored a goal against us

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Neighbors season is over. Edmonton lost 3 games. I wish they had a playoffs. Too bad they chose not too.

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
It's a shame our prospects had to share a team this season, but Springfield opted out of this season, as was their right to do so...so it is what it is.

However, it's good to see Hofer have a strong game. He's been inconsistent, but he's also a first year pro, so I guess that's to be expected. Glad he's shown he can bounce back from rough outings and have a quality start.

Great to see Alexandrov start scoring right away, but why was he held out for about 4 or 5 games before this one?

Very intruiged by Tucker. Is is possible he can develop into a low-paring D who can clear the front of the net? He was quite the tough guy in junior.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
However, it's good to see Hofer have a strong game. He's been inconsistent, but he's also a first year pro, so I guess that's to be expected. Glad he's shown he can bounce back from rough outings and have a quality start.

Why do you think he's been inconsistent? As far from what I've seen and read he's played very well for a rookie just coming into the AHL having quite a couple of highlight reel saves in his games. To be honest, I don't think he actually had a single terrible game at all with the Comets? Yes, there where a couple of games where the opposing team scored a few goals against him, but that's more a slight against the Comets (poor) defense then Hofer potentially playing poorly. I mean, it's a miracle his save percentage is what it is considering him having ECHL-level guys like Wesley, Teves and Eliot in front of him.

Great to see Alexandrov start scoring right away, but why was he held out for about 4 or 5 games before this one?

Injury.

Very intruiged by Tucker. Is is possible he can develop into a low-paring D who can clear the front of the net? He was quite the tough guy in junior.

Tucker still needs to develop quite a lot if he wants to make the NHL. But then again, he's still young and he still has some years left. If you're talking about a prospect having an inconsistent season, Tucker is your man.

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
Why do you think he's been inconsistent? As far from what I've seen and read he's played very well for a rookie just coming into the AHL having quite a couple of highlight reel saves in his games. To be honest, I don't think he actually had a single terrible game at all with the Comets? Yes, there where a couple of games where the opposing team scored a few goals against him, but that's more a slight against the Comets (poor) defense then Hofer potentially playing poorly. I mean, it's a miracle his save percentage is what it is considering him having ECHL-level guys like Wesley, Teves and Eliot in front of him.

Injury.

Tucker still needs to develop quite a lot if he wants to make the NHL. But then again, he's still young and he still has some years left. If you're talking about a prospect having an inconsistent season, Tucker is your man.

Well, I guess that's what I get for basing my opinion on what I saw in box scores, rather than actually seeing the games (which I was unable to do). Sorry if I misinterpreted. However, the fact that Hofer has two shutouts does sound like he's playing well. I also watched the interview of him and this kid may be pretty soft spoken, but there's a fierce competitor under that. That bodes really well for the future. With him, Ellis, and maybe the Russian kid whose name escapes me, we appear to be pretty set in goal for a while.

I also hope Alexandrov gets more of a chance to show his skills. We could use more dynamic offensive talent.

Interesting take on Tucker. He as a low draft pick (6th round, I believe) who greatly improved his play just after being drafted. Sounds like it's Tucker who is going through the ringer of being a first year pro more than Hofer.

Thanks, Beatuerham, for your insight!

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Hofer was recalled.

Think this was the plan all along. The Comets had Mikey DiPietro backing up Hofer for multiple games in a row, which was a bit weird, because both the Canucks and the Comets are really high on DiPietro. Think the plan was to play Hofer 3 games in a row, call him up and finish the last 3 games with DiPietro.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Well, I guess that's what I get for basing my opinion on what I saw in box scores, rather than actually seeing the games (which I was unable to do). Sorry if I misinterpreted. However, the fact that Hofer has two shutouts does sound like he's playing well. I also watched the interview of him and this kid may be pretty soft spoken, but there's a fierce competitor under that. That bodes really well for the future. With him, Ellis, and maybe the Russian kid whose name escapes me, we appear to be pretty set in goal for a while.

We do not have a lot of A-level (or even B-level) prospects in our farm ATM and we could definatly use some decent prospects at every position, however it does seem we're really good on developin goalies indeed. It's always a wild guess how a goalie will develop, (I mean: our most talented goalie prospect, Fitzpatrick, is busting pretty hard right now), but the trio of Hofer, Ellis and Zherenko is doing really well. Talking about Zherenko, he's going to play in Finland next season for the same team that also acquired Leo Loof.

I also hope Alexandrov gets more of a chance to show his skills. We could use more dynamic offensive talent.

Interesting take on Tucker. He as a low draft pick (6th round, I believe) who greatly improved his play just after being drafted. Sounds like it's Tucker who is going through the ringer of being a first year pro more than Hofer.

Thanks, Beatuerham, for your insight!

It's just a small sample but Alexandrov has been doing fine with the Comets, we will see him with the Thunderbirds next season. :)
About Tucker: At the start of the season he was paired with Santini and that actually went pretty well: he didn't show a lot offensively, but he stood his man defensively. After Santini got called up to the taxi squad Tucker first got paired with Reinke and eventually also with other players like Wesley, etc. and for some reason he's been inconsistent since.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
We do not have a lot of A-level (or even B-level) prospects in our farm ATM and we could definatly use some decent prospects at every position, however it does seem we're really good on developin goalies indeed. It's always a wild guess how a goalie will develop, (I mean: our most talented goalie prospect, Fitzpatrick, is busting pretty hard right now), but the trio of Hofer, Ellis and Zherenko is doing really well. Talking about Zherenko, he's going to play in Finland next season for the same team that also acquired Leo Loof.

It's just a small sample but Alexandrov has been doing fine with the Comets, we will see him with the Thunderbirds next season. :)
About Tucker: At the start of the season he was paired with Santini and that actually went pretty well: he didn't show a lot offensively, but he stood his man defensively. After Santini got called up to the taxi squad Tucker first got paired with Reinke and eventually also with other players like Wesley, etc. and for some reason he's been inconsistent since.
That is rather obvious to me. Santini is very solid defensively and even has some NHL experience. He is a perfect sheltering presence for Tucker. Reinke's defense is very poor. I am afraid I don't know much about Wesley. So it is not surprising that Tucker struggled without Santini.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

I watched all of the Comets games this year including the last 5 home games in person. I agree with your comments about Tucker. He is a young, big, physical kid that is going to need some seasoning in the AHL before making the jump and he needs to be paired with a veteran defenseman to help mentor him. He did look much better early in the season which he was paired with Santini but with Wesley things have been an adventure at times. Both players are prone to decision errors which lead to turnovers and neither is a calming influence on the other. I do think that pairing had some of their better games together in the two games this week so there has been some progress.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Think this was the plan all along. The Comets had Mikey DiPietro backing up Hofer for multiple games in a row, which was a bit weird, because both the Canucks and the Comets are really high on DiPietro. Think the plan was to play Hofer 3 games in a row, call him up and finish the last 3 games with DiPietro.

To correct myself: apparantly DiPietro went to the Worlds leaving the Comets only with Fitzpatrick and Cranley, a.k.a. a guy that got send away from 2 ECHL teams last season and a guy who hasn't played a game in forever.

Result: Fitz' played the entire game and played a fantastic game to record a 33 save shutout. Where did this guy come from suddenly!? He has one more game to show what he's got and earn himself a new contract (either with the Blues or somewhere else).

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
like his potential, but where would he fit in? I'm assuming there will be a trade or 2 in the offseason, but they still need to fit Kostin in somewhere
and isn't he a C?
We have 3ufa in our top 9 plus could lose someone in expansion draft. There should be opportunities if he or kostin merit.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I would be really surprised if Alexandrov challenged for a NHL roster spot out of training camp next season. He is still only 20 years old (will turn 21 this coming September). Probably needs a full year seasoning in the AHL, maybe gets some call ups if he crushes it. Would love to be wrong and have him blow the doors off next season, but it seems like a big lift.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Forgotten prospect Walman looked like an NHL player this year, Mikkola looked good at times, Kostin excelled in the KHL, and most importantly, Husso looked like he can be a competent NHL backup.

That's a lot more than I expected from our prospects!
That may be overstating things for Husso’s season. I think at best he showed improvement and COULD become a competent NHL back-up. He’ll probably have to earn the job again next year.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
That may be overstating things for Husso’s season. I think at best he showed improvement and COULD become a competent NHL back-up. He’ll probably have to earn the job again next year.
Unless the cap situation next year is easier on management or if another prospect plays better than Husso, I think it's his job to lose. They could go out and get a free agent, but idk how the market looks nor do I know what sort of salary the goalie in question would be looking for.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Unless the cap situation next year is easier on management or if another prospect plays better than Husso, I think it's his job to lose. They could go out and get a free agent, but idk how the market looks nor do I know what sort of salary the goalie in question would be looking for.

This is the current top 26 UFAs on the market. I've placed red dots beside goalies I expect to be available and capable of playing decent backup role.

The green dots beside Reimer/Mrazek indicate an either/or - with how Nedelkovic (sp?) played, one of them will not be re-signed.

Ullmark, Bernier, Andersen will be starters somewhere on their next deals if they don't re-sign with their current teams, they're right out.

Edit:
I've got doubts that Elliott or Hutton would come back to St Louis and I'm not sure either are an upgrade on Husso currently...

Screenshot_20210517-132227.png

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
This is the current top 26 UFAs on the market. I've placed red dots beside goalies I expect to be available and capable of playing decent backup role.

The green dots beside Reimer/Mrazek indicate an either/or - with how Nedelkovic (sp?) played, one of them will not be re-signed.

Ullmark, Bernier, Andersen will be starters somewhere on their next deals if they don't re-sign with their current teams, they're right out.

Edit:
I've got doubts that Elliott or Hutton would come back to St Louis and I'm not sure either are an upgrade on Husso currently...

View attachment 435043
I like Raanta at a decent price if we don't have Husso. But I think the late season Husso we are seeing more of now, is what we can expect from him going forward which is fine with me.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I like Raanta at a decent price if we don't have Husso. But I think the late season Husso we are seeing more of now, is what we can expect from him going forward which is fine with me.
I don't think there's a way we land Raanta without it being for at least 2M, and even then that might be too little. Given that we want to see what Husso has and allow him to develop into a backup, I would imagine that we allow him to hold the position once again. We've given longer leashes to far less deserving players, and Husso's last start was a shutout despite the weirdest year of hockey in a long time.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I don't think there's a way we land Raanta without it being for at least 2M, and even then that might be too little. Given that we want to see what Husso has and allow him to develop into a backup, I would imagine that we allow him to hold the position once again. We've given longer leashes to far less deserving players, and Husso's last start was a shutout despite the weirdest year of hockey in a long time.
Oh yes, I'm not advocating for getting rid of Husso, I think is going to continue developing into a solid NHL backup goalie. My comment was more of a if for some reason we didn't resign him this summer, or if Seattle drafted him (not likely) or something like that, Raanta would be my preferred choice off that list as a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad