Blues Prospects Thread 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Vadim Zherenko has signed with Ilves in Finland for the next season.

Is there a specific reason why? More playing time, chance to be a starter. You have always followed the KHL and Russian prospects much better then us.

Also, does anyone know what the Specific Quarantine rules are for Kostin. How many days, etc?

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I remember when we were perplexed why Tarasenko was getting 4th line minutes when his KHL team was in the playoffs, despite the fact that he was a goal scoring threat. It sounds like Kostin was a major contributor during this playoff run. This should give him a lot of confidence. I hope he can translate this into North American success. The Blues could really use a prospect making a surprise splash in the forward pool.
Tarasenko got the same treatment Kostin WAS getting in the beginning.. because he chose to go to the NHL, the Russian teams preferred to give their ice time to THEIR players
I'm guessing they're happy they changed their minds with Kostin

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Is there a specific reason why? More playing time, chance to be a starter. You have always followed the KHL and Russian prospects much better then us.

Also, does anyone know what the Specific Quarantine rules are for Kostin. How many days, etc?

He wasn't given a proper chance to be on the Dynamo's KHL lineup next season after they re-signed their goalies and likely he didn't feel that staying in the VHL for much longer would be good for the development.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Joey Vitale said on the radio yesterday that nhl scouts (or it was a former player) were raving about Kostin. Said he was an all around beast. Hitting, scoring, net presence etc. They were gushing over him.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I know Hoffman has worked REALLY well on that line, but I wanna see Kostin there.. a true kid line.. yes pls

Never been a fan of the idea of kid lines. Should have at least 1 experienced veteran out there with them. That being said, if Hoffman doesn't stick around next year, I'm down to try Kostin on that line.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Ok. So here is a question.

Would you trade Schenn for Laine? Columbus needs centers and quite frankly, with Tarasenko's future really up in the air...... He would be a solid replacement as a pure goal scorer. Not too mention younger. For Columbus, he plays a strait line game and would fit in with the mentality.

I know he is a hole defensively, but I do think we lack some goal scoring. Resigned Bozak, Thomas, and ROR. That is pretty solid down the middle.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

Would you trade Schenn for Laine? Columbus needs centers and quite frankly, with Tarasenko's future really up in the air...... He would be a solid replacement as a pure goal scorer. Not too mention younger. For Columbus, he plays a strait line game and would fit in with the mentality.

I know he is a hole defensively, but I do think we lack some goal scoring. Resigned Bozak, Thomas, and ROR. That is pretty solid down the middle.

Depends on Laine's next contract. He's almost certainly going to want more than what Schenn's got now. I wouldn't touch that contract with a 10-ft pole. If he'd take a 4-yr x $6M deal, sure...you'd get out of the end of Schenn's contract and not burden yourself with a long-term commit to a potential bum. But I don't envy Jarmo's position at all, and I'm glad that guy isn't a Blues player that Army has to figure out how to get re-signed or decide whether to build around.

Edit: probably needs to be relocated from the 'Prospect' discussion.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I’d prefer trying to find a way to keep Hoffman. Laine is distressed goods in my opinion.

Maybe he is an innocent party, but it looks a lot more like he is a malcontent. He hasn’t been able to mesh in two different places now. What does he actually want? Big city life? Play for a contender? Be used a certain way? I can’t think of any answer to that question which makes St Louis a good fit for him to thrive.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

I’d prefer trying to find a way to keep Hoffman. Laine is distressed goods in my opinion.

Maybe he is an innocent party, but it looks a lot more like he is a malcontent. He hasn’t been able to mesh in two different places now. What does he actually want? Big city life? Play for a contender? Be used a certain way? I can’t think of any answer to that question which makes St Louis a good fit for him to thrive.
I would actually consider this a winger-for-winger swap as I think Schenn's game is best suited to being a winger, but I still wouldn't do it. I have to agree with Yappi here in that I would rather make something work with Hoffman. Hoffman is 8 years older, but there have been rumors swirling for months that Laine wants to play for the Kings so I wouldn't want to risk being the third team for him to underachieve with. You certainly wouldn't want to be in a position where you have both Laine and Hoffman on the same team.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Columbus would never do that.

Only way they trade Laine is for a top 1C and Schenn isn’t that. He’s a 2C, and they just traded a 2C for Laine so they’d just be going around in circles.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Columbus would never do that.

Only way they trade Laine is for a top 1C and Schenn isn’t that. He’s a 2C, and they just traded a 2C for Laine so they’d just be going around in circles.

Moving this to Trade Proposals thread.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Never been a fan of the idea of kid lines. Should have at least 1 experienced veteran out there with them. That being said, if Hoffman doesn't stick around next year, I'm down to try Kostin on that line.

I am not sure Hoffman brings any responsible veteran leadership/defense to that line.... I think he would look better with Schwartz and Bozak, in place of Tarasenko and Sanford.

I think Kostin with add a banger to that line and would open more space for Thomas and JK to operate.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I am not sure Hoffman brings any responsible veteran leadership/defense to that line.... I think he would look better with Schwartz and Bozak, in place of Tarasenko and Sanford.

I think Kostin with add a banger to that line and would open more space for Thomas and JK to operate.
As it stands right now, idk who in their right mind would ever consider breaking that line apart. They are one of the only lines that consistently generate any sort of dangerous chances for the team and they look great right now. Build their confidence up for the post season and let Hoffman one-time every puck ever on the powerplay and see where we're at. I'm all for Kostin getting in the lineup when he's available, especially considering all the injuries currently. I just don't know how we are going to make salary work next year if we want to keep all of these guys together.

Reactions: mike1320

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

IMO, the kids bring a skill level that plays to Hoffmans strengths. very quick thinking, fast moving, quick actions.. not a lot of holding onto the puck..etc..

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
As it stands right now, idk who in their right mind would ever consider breaking that line apart. They are one of the only lines that consistently generate any sort of dangerous chances for the team and they look great right now. Build their confidence up for the post season and let Hoffman one-time every puck ever on the powerplay and see where we're at. I'm all for Kostin getting in the lineup when he's available, especially considering all the injuries currently. I just don't know how we are going to make salary work next year if we want to keep all of these guys together.

Hoffman put up 12 points in April. 8 of which were on the Power play. It isn’t like he is on fire 5 on 5.

It feels more like Kyrou and Thomas are the ones really buzzing, Watching Thomas takes me back to the 2019 playoffs. He and JK are out trying to make a play every shift. I would put Kostin on that line because of those two.

He adds the Big Rig factor and can crash the net. Plus he can actually skate.

Hoffman is more of the passenger on that line.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Hoffman put up 12 points in April. 8 of which were on the Power play. It isn’t like he is on fire 5 on 5.

It feels more like Kyrou and Thomas are the ones really buzzing, Watching Thomas takes me back to the 2019 playoffs. He and JK are out trying to make a play every shift. I would put Kostin on that line because of those two.

Possibly. I see their breakouts and passing more related to all of them being in sync rather than just two of them having good chemistry. This doesn't feel or look like two players in sync, a la Schwartz and Schenn connection, but feels more like a speedier, prettier passing possession line than the previous Maroon-Bozak-Thomas line. But who knows, they could end up finding that same kind of chemistry if Kostin happens on that line.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Keenan Washkuruk (spelling) has played in 2 AHL games this year, No points and is a minus 1. posted this because I did realize he was playing for Utica.

Tucker had a goal last night.

Alexandrov has 3 points in 3 games.

Tanner Dickinson is there also and played in a game on the 5th.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

Hoffman has been noticeable in other ways at 5-on-5. He's actually pretty good at maintaining a cycle and has created a few turnovers. Hoffman has more to offer at even strength than he is given credit for. He won't win you the game with his defense, but he definitely doesn't cause you to lose it. His decision-making is also very good, and I can name about 8 other forwards that have made poor decisions leading to goals against before I ever come to Hoffman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad