Blues Prospects Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
moving Dunn and replacing with Mikkola does create a problem with our defensemen on the PP
Petro, Parayko, and Faulk are all right hand shots
having Dunn as a left handed shot does matter

Reactions: boots legrand

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
moving Dunn and replacing with Mikkola does create a problem with our defensemen on the PP
Petro, Parayko, and Faulk are all right hand shots
having Dunn as a left handed shot does matter
Parayko and Faulk are/should be shoot first players as well. I am not sure how successful a PP unit with both of them would work. I wouldn’t want either of them on the 1st unit with Petro. The 4 forwards + 1D (who is a dual threat) seems to work well.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Replace Dunn with Mikkola. Mikkola will be the short term replacement for Dunn and provide better defense. Once Perunovich is ready to jump into the NHL Mikkola replaces Scandella and Perunovich slots in. Trade away Gunnersson then we should look at signing a bottom pairing or 7th RHD so that we can cycle Mikkola, Bortuzzo, and the other D throughout this season due to Mikkola and Bortuzzo being able to play either side.

Faulk-Pietrangelo
Scandella-Parayko
Mikkola-Bortuzzo/#6RHD
#7D

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Replace Dunn with Mikkola. Mikkola will be the short term replacement for Dunn and provide better defense. Once Perunovich is ready to jump into the NHL Mikkola replaces Scandella and Perunovich slots in. Trade away Gunnersson then we should look at signing a bottom pairing or 7th RHD so that we can cycle Mikkola, Bortuzzo, and the other D throughout this season due to Mikkola and Bortuzzo being able to play either side.

Faulk-Pietrangelo
Scandella-Parayko
Mikkola-Bortuzzo/#6RHD
#7D

For now, I'm on board with you (IF we decide to trade Dunn). However I do hope Perunovich blows our mind during training camp so he makes the team.

Perunovich - Pietrangelo | (mostly offensive pairing)
Scandella - Parayko | (shutdown pairing)
Mikkola - Faulk | (balanced pairing)
Bortuzzo

(Gunnarsson, Walman - who is now waiver eligible- traded)

Don't see this as a 'first, second, third-pairing'. More as situational pairings, we play the pairing that is the most efficient. Scandella - Parayko are our shutdown pairing and will play most minutes against opponents top players. Perunovich should be paired to a right handed player (Petro) that can compensate for his defensive deficiencies. This might be possible because the Scandella-Parayko line is already taking the heavy defensive workload. Mikkola can be paired with Faulk, a defensive minded player paired with a mostly offensive minded player.

Last season we usually had Gunnarsson, who was the 3rd best left handed defenseman in our team, next to Petro because they meshed well. I'm hoping we can do the same with Perunovich (as potentially the 3rd best left handed defenseman at the start of the season).

However, as I said earlier, this requires Perunovich to blow our minds in pre-season. If he doesn't I don't mind seeing Faulk temporarily be moved up next to Petro, as you have in your post. Or we could decide on keeping Dunn and just replace Perunovich with Dunn in my line-up.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I don't think you're going to see both Perunovich and Mikkola in the lineup at the same time unless there is an injury. And, while a little off topic, I would like to see a focus next season on complimentary pairings rather than situational pairings in the Top 4. Parayko was paired with JBo and later Scandella as a "shut down pairing" but, as we saw in the playoffs, if they're not 100% on their game, they're not shutting anything down. I'd look to pair Scandella and Faulk because I think Faulk needs to have a stay-at-home guy on his other side and be deployed on the right side for now. I'd also pair Parayko and Pietrangelo, varying which is on the left and the right, giving both the opportunity to pinch and lay back as I think both are flexible enough to be able to play the conservative or aggressive style needed in any given situation. For the most part, I'd be looking get our 2 best D the top minutes and put Scandella an Faulk, presumably the rest of our Top 4, the partner they need to play their best.

The bottom pair will be some combination of Dunn, Gunnar, Bortz and the two new guys in Mikkola and Perunovich, barring any additional trades subtracting from the blueline.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Parayko and Faulk are/should be shoot first players as well. I am not sure how successful a PP unit with both of them would work. I wouldn’t want either of them on the 1st unit with Petro. The 4 forwards + 1D (who is a dual threat) seems to work well.

My concern is on the PP without Dunn, or a left handed replacement that can actually play the PP, all the D who can play on the PP are right handed shots
Our 1st and 2nd PP have completely different looks now, but without a left handed D we are limited in what different looks and set plays we can throw at the opposing teams penalty kill

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't think you're going to see both Perunovich and Mikkola in the lineup at the same time unless there is an injury. And, while a little off topic, I would like to see a focus next season on complimentary pairings rather than situational pairings in the Top 4. Parayko was paired with JBo and later Scandella as a "shut down pairing" but, as we saw in the playoffs, if they're not 100% on their game, they're not shutting anything down. I'd look to pair Scandella and Faulk because I think Faulk needs to have a stay-at-home guy on his other side and be deployed on the right side for now. I'd also pair Parayko and Pietrangelo, varying which is on the left and the right, giving both the opportunity to pinch and lay back as I think both are flexible enough to be able to play the conservative or aggressive style needed in any given situation. For the most part, I'd be looking get our 2 best D the top minutes and put Scandella an Faulk, presumably the rest of our Top 4, the partner they need to play their best.

The bottom pair will be some combination of Dunn, Gunnar, Bortz and the two new guys in Mikkola and Perunovich, barring any additional trades subtracting from the blueline.
I don't like Petro with Parayko. Part of what makes us so tough to beat is that one of the 2 of them (like back when we had Pronger and Mac) is on ice 45+ minutes per game.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
My concern is on the PP without Dunn, or a left handed replacement that can actually play the PP, all the D who can play on the PP are right handed shots
Our 1st and 2nd PP have completely different looks now, but without a left handed D we are limited in what different looks and set plays we can throw at the opposing teams penalty kill
Perunovich is likely ultimate answer to this, but in interim can go with 4F.

Reactions: stl76

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
who's in your top 10 list for prospects right now? perunovich looks like a good one, pretty
envious of that pick.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
who's in your top 10 list for prospects right now? perunovich looks like a good one, pretty
envious of that pick.
Not sure I could do a top 10, but assuming Kyrou is still a prospect, my top 5 (with realistic projections) are Perunovich (PP QB), Kyrou (top 6 winger), Kostin (middle 6 physical winger), Alexandrov (middle or bottom 6 defensive winger with some offensive pop, ala Barbashev), and Hofer (starting goalie), with Mikkola (starting shutdown defenseman with physicality) right there as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: neelynugs

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
envious of that pick.

If it's up to me, this is our top 10.

Kyrou - RW
Perunovich - LHD
Mikkola* - LHD
Kostin - RW/LW
Hofer - G
Alexandrov - C
Walman - LHD
Poganski - RW
Tucker - LHD
Laferrière - RW/C

Goalies are hard to predict, so a special mention for Colten Ellis and Vadim Zherenko. I haven't put them in the top 10, but that could easily change with more viewings.

*Mikkola probably has a bigger shot to be a regular NHL-player then Perunovich, but IMO his ceiling is lower.

PS. all of these 10 players are probably either with the Blues or in the AHL with Springfield. Which is exactly our problem, not a lot of talent in the 18-20 age group. We really need a good draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80 and neelynugs

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I view Poganski now almost even steven with MacMac. Can easily replace 4th line job. He impressed me at pre-season games and 1 regular season game last season. Really liked his play at corners, maybe not as fast as MacMac, but better hockey IQ. Maybe even higher as 3rd liner.

He should be on the 13th/14th forward next season.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I view Poganski now almost even steven with MacMac. Can easily replace 4th line job. He impressed me at pre-season games and 1 regular season game last season. Really liked his play at corners, maybe not as fast as MacMac, but better hockey IQ. Maybe even higher as 3rd liner.

He should be on the 13th/14th forward next season.

With Tarasenko starting the year on LTIR, I fully expect us to walk away from DLR, and give the two bench spots to MacMac and Poganski.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
If it's up to me, this is our top 10.

Kyrou - RW
Perunovich - LHD
Mikkola* - LHD
Kostin - RW/LW
Hofer - G
Alexandrov - C
Walman - LHD
Poganski - RW
Tucker - LHD
Laferrière - RW/C

Goalies are hard to predict, so a special mention for Colten Ellis and Vadim Zherenko. I haven't put them in the top 10, but that could easily change with more viewings.

*Mikkola probably has a bigger shot to be a regular NHL-player then Perunovich, but IMO his ceiling is lower.

PS. all of these 10 players are probably either with the Blues or in the AHL with Springfield. Which is exactly our problem, not a lot of talent in the 18-20 age group. We really need a good draft.
You could arguably put Mitch Reinke in the top 10 as he's had some great seasons with San Antonio. He at least leads off the next set of 10

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
You could arguably put Mitch Reinke in the top 10 as he's had some great seasons with San Antonio. He at least leads off the next set of 10

Last year around this time I was a lot higher on Reinke, he seemed to regress this season in San Antonio. Last years Reinke was knocking on the door, this season Reinke hardly showed any NHL-potential at all. There's a reason he wasn't a black ace at this seasons play-offs (he was last year). But who knows, he might bounce back next season, just like Walman did this season.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I honestly think Reinke is a dark horse to become a decent 3rd pairing OFD.

Last year around this time I was a lot higher on Reinke, he seemed to regress this season in San Antonio. Last years Reinke was knocking on the door, this season Reinke hardly showed any NHL-potential at all. There's a reason he wasn't a black ace at this seasons play-offs (he was last year). But who knows, he might bounce back next season, just like Walman did this season.

I still have him on the radar, your right he did slip a bit this past season, but I still think like @SchwartzBluesFirst said I still have him a candidate to develop into a steady NHL 3rd d-pair guy. However right now, especially with the rise of Perunovich pushing Reinke down the depth chart, if that happens it may not be with the Blues.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I still have him on the radar, your right he did slip a bit this past season, but I still think like @SchwartzBluesFirst said I still have him a candidate to develop into a steady NHL 3rd d-pair guy. However right now, especially with the rise of Perunovich pushing Reinke down the depth chart, if that happens it may not be with the Blues.
Reinke is RH. Perunovich is LH. There is definitely room for both on the team. Just not on the ice at the same time, minus PP.

Reactions: mk80

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I thought Perunovich played mostly RD as a lefty. Wonder how good he is on his "off" side. Would be funny to see a pairing of LD (RHD) Faulk and RD (LHD) Perunovich.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I thought Perunovich played mostly RD as a lefty. Wonder how good he is on his "off" side. Would be funny to see a pairing of LD (RHD) Faulk and RD (LHD) Perunovich.

I think having Faulk paired with a rookie would be even worse than having him paired with Dunn. Dunn's defensive mistakes are frequent, highlighting why I think Faulk is going to be even worse as a mentor to pair with a rookie Perunovich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad