Blues Prospects Thread 2019-2020

Discussion in 'St. Louis Blues' started by EastonBlues22, Jun 22, 2019.

1. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I guess that's a consolation prize, get the Perunovich deal done.

MissouriMook likes this.
  2. mk80 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Hockey Play-by-play
    This will have an effect on future prospects as well with the upcoming draft. With all the leagues across the world being shutdown, players won't have that final chance to improve draft rankings and make those impacts in front of scouts.

3. Beauterham Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Okay, something different then covid-19.

Seeing some other teams already signed NCAA free agents made me wonder if we have also been offering contracts to players.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Blues have kicked the tires on Josh Dunne, although he wants to stay another season in the NCAA. I bet we will try to sign him at the end of next season.

mk80 likes this.
  4. MissouriMook Still just a Mook among men Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    We are, unfortunately, a relatively poor destination for such players. These undrafted college free agents are generally looking for a team that is going to be able to provide them with the opportunity for an NHL role pretty quickly, and our NHL depth (and even some of the competition at the AHL level) squeezes them out of those opportunities. I know we signed Mitch Reinke as a college free agent a couple of years ago, but I think he is the exception rather than the rule.

mk80 likes this.
  5. Beauterham Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I know we're not one of the most desirable destinations for a lot of NCAA-free agents, however, that doesnt mean we shouldn't look into the NCAA-market as a whole. We're still the reigning champion and that should count for something? Hardly any NCAA-players make the NHL in their first season, even with teams where it's 'easier' to make an NHL roster. Highly regarded free agents like Taro Hirose (only got a handful of games in Detroit) and Jimmy Schmidt (only played 1 game for Vegas this year) mostly played in the AHL hoping they will take the next step. That's something we could offer: we have a developmental spot in Springfield next season and if you do well, who knows? In the end that is exactly the same as all the other teams, even desirable ones, offer to NCAA-free agents.

We have a depleted prospect pool and signing NCAA free agents could help soften the blow. We're already focussing more on the NCAA the last couple of years (Keith Tkachuk and Jay Niemiec are on the NCAA full time), as you said, with the signing of Mitch Reinke, but also by giving AHL contracts to Jared Thomas and Robby Jackson. You can even add Dakota Joshua to this list, eventhough we technically didn't sign him as a free agent but acquired his rights from the Leafs shortly before he became a free agent. I'm hoping this is something we will expand into, and preferably focus on higher profile free agents. I'd rather give a 'prove it-contract' to an NCAA free agent then signing 'rosterfillers' like Jake Dotchin or Evan Polei.

MissouriMook likes this.
  6. Blueston HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Blues signed McGing. He is interesting prospect. Could see him developing into middle 6 forward.

7. Beauterham Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Good... Hope Perunovich will be signed next quickly.

Bluenatic and Blueston like this.
  8. Brockon Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Are you talking about Jimmy Schuldt (you've mixed your names up), Vegas Dman? Kid who signed at the end of his NCAA season in 2018-19, played 1 game with the VGK last year and the whole 2019-20 season in the AHL?

It should be noted that Zach Whitecloud basically got the same treatment following his NCAA signing after the 2017-18 season as a Hobey Baker top 10 finalist (I don't remember his final rank, just how he caught my attention in my fantasy dynasty league).
    1 GP VGK in 2017-18
    74 GP AHL in 2018-19
    16 GP VGK/35 GP AHL 2019-20

It would appear Whitecloud is in a position to replace Engelland if he isn't re-signed based on his games played and how he was assessed.

I'd suspect that Schuldt would be given a similar treatment in the coming season for Vegas - and I'd love to see the Blues take a similar approach, but I don't think it's overly likely... Simply because we have so much depth, that it's a fight to get an AHL placement with our organization due to the contracts like Gunnarsson, Walman, Pouliot, Dotchin and Borgman.

Many of these are players we'd rather not see wearing the Note, but take up valuable formative spots on our farm team. Likely because as pros, they're seen a less of a liability for spot filling in a sheltered bottom pairing role for injury fill ins - regardless of our perception of them as fans (I know how the Pouliot situation went this year)...

9. Beauterham Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  10. Beauterham Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yeah, exactly. Mixed the name up. :)

It depends a bit on the position. We have a plethora of left handed defensemen, but if there's an exceptional right handed defenseman available either from the NCAA or a free agent from the CHL we should try signing him IMO. Someone like Owen Sound's Brady Lyle for example is a very interesting option (not 100% certain if he's a free agent or in his last year of draft eligibility though).

I think we could also use another (exceptional) center or left winger if someone like Alex Limoges (Penn State) or Mitchell Fossier (University of Maine) is available and willing to sign. Maybe Austen Keating (Ottawa), who we invited for our last traverse camp.

If a player doesn't fall into the exceptional category, I agree it's probably better to go with a pro who is possibly less of a liability.

11. Brockon Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    If you re-read my comment, I don't support having all these career AHLers taking up development spots - I'd like to see us take the approach Vegas is, signing NCAA players and developing them instead...

I merely observed that the Blues organization seems to prefer having many consumate pros in the AHL farm team, who in theory are better suited to fill in short term as a lesser liability.

12. Blueston HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  13. execwrite1 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Blueston likes this.
  14. mk80 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Hockey Play-by-play
    Perunovich has been signed now.

15. Stupendous Yappi Still irritated at Lucas over Greedo. Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Armstrong’s good relationships with prospects and the trust they develop with the organization is apparent again. He could have easily chosen to go the UFA route and tried to cash in more immediately. Instead, he’s saying that the Blues are a better choice for his career. I think he’s right.

mk80 and Blueston like this.
  16. Bluesnatic27 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

Based on these comments, it sounds like you're spot on.

17. mk80 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Hockey Play-by-play
    I agree, it's definitely a testament to Armstrong having the ability to feel the pulse of the organization.

18. Davimir Tarablad Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Love Perunovich's attitude, hopefully he can develop into a good contributor

19. CaliforniaBlues310 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I’d expect with our depth that he’ll start off in Springfield next year. With our penchant for injuries, I could see him potentially making his debut next year and hopefully stealing a spot mid-season.

I’m excited to see his playmaking skills with actual professionals, and I hope we got ourselves our own Makar or Hughes.

20. tfriede2 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Not yet, just agreed in principle. He can’t sign now, as the NHL has a moratorium on signings. If this were the Blues of 2 years ago, I would be worried that he’d back out - but everything changed last season with the cup winning team - this isn’t “same old Blues” - how refreshing.

mk80 likes this.
  21. The Note Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Given the current state of affairs I’ve tried to turn more attention than usual to the upcoming draft prospects. Trying to learn more about guys that seem projected in the range the Blues will be picking, and one guy that really intrigues me is Roni Hirvonen. He’s only listed at 5’9 which will scare some teams off, but he seems to have the vision, passing, and willingness to go to “dirty” areas to make plays/score. Obviously a lot of this is only from YouTube clips and reports, but seems like he could be another guy that could be a good pickup in the late first. @Ranksu are you familiar with Roni at all?

22. STL fan in IA Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Never heard of this kid but I’m just bored enough to research 17/18 yr old players I've never heard of...which of course doesn’t tell you nearly as much as actually watching the kid play but...did I mention I was bored?

So this kid made a team in Finland‘s top pro league at 17. Only 16 pts in 52 games but simply playing at that level at that age is impressive. And he played the whole season with them. Not a single game in a lower tier pro league or Jrs.

Last season, he played in their top U-20 league and put up 55 pts in 50 games as a 16/17 yr old. I would assume most of the kids in that league are 18-19. I sorted that league by age U17 on eliteprospects and he led the pack by a lot. The next kid that young that season had 31 pts.

So he’s talented. Will he be a good NHLer? No idea but generally I like Finnish players as they certainly teach them how to play a good all-around game over there.

Spear and The Note like this.
  23. Stealth JD Simply the Best! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Wonder if Jake Walman has regained any luster on his former shine? Armstrong mentioned that at least one team inquired about him this season, which is a decent indicator of perceived ability. With Perunovich, Mikkola & maybe Walman knocking on the door, Army may have options if the salary cap prevents him from resigning Scandella. Would be nice to have a more established LHD to join Gunnarsson & Dunn, though, at the top of the left-depth chart.

24. Ranksu Crotch Academy ftw

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Neverhöööörd. sorry

The Note likes this.
  25. simon IC HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Wiki has him listed as 5'9" 169 lbs. Dobber and EP at 163 lbs. That' s not small, it's tiny. He would have to spend at least a year in NA just bulking up. I am a little leery of this one. Maybe I am just over-cautious by nature. He sounds really "boom-bust", and I would rather not go in that direction until later in the draft.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020