Blues Prospects Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
How do those slides work? I'm guessing that's why we're sitting at 46 instead of 49, but is it because they're AHL eligible or no?
There may be some finer points that I'm leaving out, but essentially for players under contract ages 18 and 19 that are not playing in the NHL (with the same 9 game limit as starting an ELC) the team can elect to "slide" the first year of their ELC to the following year, even if they are playing in the AHL. Once a player reaches the age of 20 prior to the start of a new season, the team can no longer "slide" the first year of the ELC and must start the player's clock. We have seen this with guys like Dunn, who turned 20 in late October 2016 but was still 19 at the time his AHL season started and, more recently, Kostin's 1st two seasons in the AHL.

Edit: there is actually a very good write up on this under the "CBA FAQ" section on CapFriendly.com

Reactions: ezcreepin

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
We’re going to toss away valuable draft picks bc we don’t have anywhere to put them. And if we go to Chicago, there won’t be additional contract spots, bc even if we lose Lallegia and Lappin, they are demanding 3-4 year contracts for AHL all-stars, so we won’t have any space for the guys we draft, barring very unlikely trades. Might as well just package all of our post-2nd rounders for a single asset; if we draft even 3 people under those circumstances, there won’t be room to sign all of them. We’re screwed

I hope the Blues stand pat if we're forced to team up with the Wolves. They can demand all the AHL all-stars they want but if there's is no other team then the Blues to affiliate with they will have to do with what we send them. They're in no position to demand anything.

If we don't have enough spots to sign Tucker / Perunovich / McGing we can always try to dump some players we have no use for and will never make the Blues like Joshua, LaLeggia, Kaspick, Lappin, Dotchin and Polei.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Husso loses a tough one tonight 1-0 in Rockford. He’s now got a 2.11 GAA and a .925 SP in his last nine games, six of which have been on the road. Good to see his numbers turning around.

Ville has found his game again. He's on a tryout for backup to Binnington next season - great opportunity to win the job now with a strong finish in San Antonio.

Assuming Allen goes, Blues would most likely bring a veteran into camp to compete for backup job.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Kostin with another PP game winner last night. Husso gave up 1 goal on 33 shots.
Tucker with a 3 point weekend,
Wash with a 4 pt weekend.
Alexandrov with a 4 pt weekend
Perunovich is lead his team in scoring with 35 points in 30 games.

Last edited:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Not for nothing, but all of our junior prospects except Jeremy Michel are above a point-per-game right now. Lots of early injuries, but everybody seems to be improving as the season goes on, especially Laferriere and Washkurak, both of whom started their seasons *well* below PPG.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Not for nothing, but all of our junior prospects except Jeremy Michel are above a point-per-game right now. Lots of early injuries, but everybody seems to be improving as the season goes on, especially Laferriere and Washkurak, both of whom started their seasons *well* below PPG.

A shallow but promising prospect pool. Good to hear. Need a solid draft this season to start to replenish.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

Laferriere got the message after being healthy scratched a while ago. Since then he's been really good and meshes well with Egor Sokolov. He had a goal and 2 assists last night against Lafreniere's (and Ellis') Rimouski. Got first star.

Yesterday, Washkurak was back on Mississauga's first line for the first time since his injury. Washer centered a line with Cole Schwindt (Florida draftpick) and James Hardie on wing. If they keep that line together his pointtotals could still rise quite a bit. Washkurak had a goal and 2 assist against the Barrie Colts and got first star.

Nikita Alexandrov stays important for Charlottetown. He scored a goal and assisted on the game winning goal.

McGing shouldn't be forgotten aswell. He's not destroying the NCAA point wise (almost PPG), but he's Western Michigan's best player on a really bad team. Hope we'll see him for us in the AHL next year.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
McGing shouldn't be forgotten aswell. He's not destroying the NCAA point wise (almost PPG), but he's Western Michigan's best player on a really bad team. Hope we'll see him for us in the AHL next year.

Oops, I did forget about McGing. Just below PPG, but close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
From the Post-Dispatch

• Blues prospect defenseman Tyler Tucker was named the Ontario Hockey League’s player of the week after piling up 11 points (three goals, eight assists) in four games last week. A seventh-round draft pick by the Blues in 2018, Tucker has 16 goals and 37 assists in 49 games this season.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Third in OHL in points/game by Dmen and he was drafted in the 7th round as a stay at home/physical presence. That’s encouraging, though I haven’t seen him play so his skating might still be abysmal.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
After looking up Tucker a bit more, he might be a legit good prospect now. That would be an incredible pick if he turns out to be a player.

Bill Armstrong apparently raved about his character when he was drafted and his determination.

He's a piece for The Hockey News in summer 2019.

Tyler Tucker, D, 19 (St. Louis, 200th overall)
Heading into the draft, Tucker looked like a kid who excelled in the physical game with some good puck-moving traits but lagged on the production side of the game. But this season, the seventh-round pick truly exploded offensively, scoring 14 goals and 59 points to surpass his previous high of three goals and 23 points with the Barrie Colts. Tucker was often Barrie’s best player this season and will likely serve as a mentor for GTHL star Brandt Clarke next season. Tucker is a legit NHL prospect now.

Reactions: Bluenatic

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Third in OHL in points/game by Dmen and he was drafted in the 7th round as a stay at home/physical presence. That’s encouraging, though I haven’t seen him play so his skating might still be abysmal.

I remember reports that his skating was horrendous...not for the pro game, but even for the junior game. He's had to have made strides, but I'd love to hear what @Brock has to say, being one of the OHL authorities for these boards.

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I remember reports that his skating has horrendous...not for the pro game, but even for the junior game. He's had to have made strides, but I'd love to hear what @Brock has to say, being one of the OHL authorities for these boards.

Tucker's skating still will need to improve at the pro level, but it's definitely made strides. He's gotten himself in better shape and it's helped with his mobility (similar to his twin brother in the USHL who could possibly be drafted this year in his final year of eligibility).

He's a no brainer to receive a contract IMO. Very versatile player. Plays in all situations. Can quarterback a powerplay with his heavy point shot. Makes good decisions with the puck. Brings a physical element in the defensive end.

Down the road, if he can continue to work on his conditioning and mobility, it's easy to see him becoming a solid #4-6 defender.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Tucker's skating still will need to improve at the pro level, but it's definitely made strides. He's gotten himself in better shape and it's helped with his mobility (similar to his twin brother in the USHL who could possibly be drafted this year in his final year of eligibility).

He's a no brainer to receive a contract IMO. Very versatile player. Plays in all situations. Can quarterback a powerplay with his heavy point shot. Makes good decisions with the puck. Brings a physical element in the defensive end.

Down the road, if he can continue to work on his conditioning and mobility, it's easy to see him becoming a solid #4-6 defender.

Thanks Brock! Your contributions are always welcome and valued here.

Reactions: Bluenatic and Brock

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
For a 7th, I like it. Now, skating is a big part of a defenseman's game today, especially for how we like to play them, but players have made that improvement before. Easier to improve skating than develop skill and talent.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

Not to put you on the spot, Brock, but in the NHL today, is there a defenseman that you could point to as a comparison to his current level of skating as a reference point for those of us who rarely/never get to see him play?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

I can only imagine how bad his skating was previously. I watched one of those pre WJC games and the difference in skating between him and someone like Harley was so stark. He is going to need to make huge improvements to skating, not just forward but backwards, to be quality NHLer.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Not to put you on the spot, Brock, but in the NHL today, is there a defenseman that you could point to as a comparison to his current level of skating as a reference point for those of us who rarely/never get to see him play?

I think a guy like Adrian Aucoin could be a good example (at least from the past). Currently, a guy like Boston's Kevan Miller. Think of a stockier defender with a wide base who's overall agility is decent, but who doesn't generate a ton of power in their strides.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
I can only imagine how bad his skating was previously. I watched one of those pre WJC games and the difference in skating between him and someone like Harley was so stark. He is going to need to make huge improvements to skating, not just forward but backwards, to be quality NHLer.

Tough to compare him to a guy like Harley as he is one of the OHL's premier skating defenders. Put him in the NHL and he is in the upper echelon. That's like looking at Carl Gunnarsson and comparing him to Alex Pietrangelo.

Reactions: Ranksu

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Tough to compare him to a guy like Harley as he is one of the OHL's premier skating defenders. Put him in the NHL and he is in the upper echelon. That's like looking at Carl Gunnarsson and comparing him to Alex Pietrangelo.
Good point. How would you rate Tucker's skating among OHL defensemen? Among those OHL defensemen who are legit NHL prospects?

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Tucker still hasn't signed his entry level deal, does anyone know when the deadline is before he's available to other teams? I know guys like David Noel and Trenton Bourque weren't signed from their respective draft year but Tucker is looking like a much better prospect at least production wise. Laferriere has already signed from the same draft class so that's why I'm wondering.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Tucker still hasn't signed his entry level deal, does anyone know when the deadline is before he's available to other teams? I know guys like David Noel and Trenton Bourque weren't signed from their respective draft year but Tucker is looking like a much better prospect at least production wise.

Deals start being signed/announced again starting March 1. This is the date that ELC's slide to the following year. June 1 is the signing deadline.

Reactions: Daley Tarasenkshow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad