Blues Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Toropchenko
I didn’t really follow Torpedo last year. Guelph was bad and I watched Sarnia and London/Hamilton games instead. If he starts making noise I will watch but not before then when I can follow Bokk and a larger portion of guys in San Antonio. I’m still busy IRL haha.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
So, I was thinking about this and discussing it with a coworker today. Of the Blues prospects, I don't believe one has the upside of a true superstar in the sense of a Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, etc. Thomas is the one who's closest to being an NHL player but he doesn't have superstar potential to me. Who do you all think has an outside shot a becoming an NHL superstar? Would it be Kyrou, Thomas, Toropchenko, Kostin, Bokk, Fitzpatrick, Husso?

My choice would be Kostin. He has the speed, size, and shot that if he can master all of it, again, very much a small shot, but if he can, he'd be a superstar in the NHL.

I don't know if any of the others truly have enough tools in the shed. My second choice would be Fitzpatrick as he looks consistent but also can make the flash save. I could see him being a truly elite goaltender.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So, I was thinking about this and discussing it with a coworker today. Of the Blues prospects, I don't believe one has the upside of a true superstar in the sense of a Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, etc. Thomas is the one who's closest to being an NHL player but he doesn't have superstar potential to me. Who do you all think has an outside shot a becoming an NHL superstar? Would it be Kyrou, Thomas, Toropchenko, Kostin, Bokk, Fitzpatrick, Husso?

My choice would be Kostin. He has the speed, size, and shot that if he can master all of it, again, very much a small shot, but if he can, he'd be a superstar in the NHL.

I don't know if any of the others truly have enough tools in the shed. My second choice would be Fitzpatrick as he looks consistent but also can make the flash save. I could see him being a truly elite goaltender.
Kyrou.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI

Not Kostin. I’m very confident in that but don’t feel like explaining myself other than he doesn’t have the skill or playmaking to be one of those guys.

Toropchenko will be lucky to play 3rd line minutes.

Thomas could be a Getzlaf at his peak, he has the stuff it’s just if he can carry it to the pros.

Kyrou 100% could be Panarin.

Bokk has so much skill he could be a datsyuk like player if he finds a defensive zone but probably projects more as a Panarin as well.

So to answer your question, we have Kyrou Thomas and Bokk who could be stars, but will they ever be superstars? I don’t think so. If they all make it to top line forward status that is a huge victory

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I am not a huge fan and its very obviously Kyrou. His upside is off the charts. I'd say he has Gadreau/Panarin potential if everything break right. Now, that isn't superstar at the level you indicated, but very few guys get to that level without being drafted top 3.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I am not a huge fan and its very obviously Kyrou. His upside is off the charts. I'd say he has Gadreau/Panarin potential if everything break right. Now, that isn't superstar at the level you indicated, but very few guys get to that level without being drafted top 3.

True, but you look at Kucherov as one recently. Benn was drafted a lot lower. I know it's few and far between, but it just seems like there's always 1 or 2. You, @Dbrownss, and @The Note in MI have a good point that it's probably Kyrou because of his playmaking ability, speed, vision, etc. I guess to me Kyrou's shot is a little lacking so I didn't think he could quite get there.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
True, but you look at Kucherov as one recently. Benn was drafted a lot lower. I know it's few and far between, but it just seems like there's always 1 or 2. You, @Dbrownss, and @The Note in MI have a good point that it's probably Kyrou because of his playmaking ability, speed, vision, etc. I guess to me Kyrou's shot is a little lacking so I didn't think he could quite get there.
Benn isn’t a superstar. I don’t think any of our guys will become a superstar but I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple two or three are stars in that they are considered top 10-15 at their position. And Bokk and Kyrou probably have the best chance given they play wing. Thomas is likely to be a 1C but not elite

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Benn isn’t a superstar. I don’t think any of our guys will become a superstar but I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple two or three are stars in that they are considered top 10-15 at their position. And Bokk and Kyrou probably have the best chance given they play wing. Thomas is likely to be a 1C but not elite

I would consider Benn a superstar. He's been nearly a point per game player or over a point per game player for 8 of his 9 years. The last 5, he's been .90 PPG or better. But again, you're probably right with Bokk and Kyrou.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I agree there are guys drafted lower who are superstars, but generally a slightly lower tier. I also agree that Kyrou's shot is not at the level of his comparables, especially Panarin whose shot is a +++ asset. I'd compare Kyrou more to Gadreau, even though Gadreau still has a better shot. But many of Gadreau's goals are from just being so damn fast, slippery, skilled and tenacious. Google Gadreau goals and watch how he scores. I watched highlights of a couple dozen goals and rarely does he rocket it past the goalie. I only saw one one shot that you can make a case the shot was the primary factor, and it was more well-placed than hard (and also a quick one-timer off a nice drop pass). Its mostly deflections, dekes, wide-open tap-ins, an empty netter, a fluke bounce or two and some quick shots that surprised the goalie, but no rocket that beat the goalie due to the strength of the shot. If Kyrou can work on getting his shot off more quickly, he can do the same.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Benn is an Art Ross winner, Hart finalist, 3 time all-NHL team, .89 career ppg, .998 ppg over the last 5 years. He is arguably a top 5 winger in the game, but almost definitely top 10. He may be a slightly lower tier than the other guys, but he is more of a superstar than anyone the Blues have. I would say due to career longevity, he is more of a superstar than Kucherov at this point because he has performed at a high level longer, where Kucherov only has 2 elite seasons.

Edit: Benn is 6th in points per game (minimum 20 games) over the last 5 years behind Crosby, McDavid, Maliin, Kane and Barzal. Better than Ovie, Kucherov, Panarin, Gaudreau, Hall, etc.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Kyrou's shot wont be a hindrance. He wont whistle any in like Tarasenko or Kucherov, but he will score from within 10ft due to his quick accurate shot. With how he plays on his edges, he can change the angle of his shot like few can. As a few other indicated, it will be his playmaking that will set him a part IF he hits his potential.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Kyrou's shot wont be a hindrance. He wont whistle any in like Tarasenko or Kucherov, but he will score from within 10ft due to his quick accurate shot. With how he plays on his edges, he can change the angle of his shot like few can. As a few other indicated, it will be his playmaking that will set him a part IF he hits his potential.

Agreed I see his peak potential in one of two ways. Option 1 he doesn't have the breakaway speed at the NHL level that he had in juniors, maybe it's not as fast as we possibly thought. In which case his peak is probably that of a right handed Jaden Schwartz. Option 2 he does have the breakaway speed and he has a ceiling of Barzal ( I get it's hard to say a ceiling of Barzal but for Christ sake he just had a PPG season, I think that type of an impact carrying through 3 zones is possible with what I've seen of his skating.)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Agreed I see his peak potential in one of two ways. Option 1 he doesn't have the breakaway speed at the NHL level that he had in juniors, maybe it's not as fast as we possibly thought. In which case his peak is probably that of a right handed Jaden Schwartz. Option 2 he does have the breakaway speed and he has a ceiling of Barzal ( I get it's hard to say a ceiling of Barzal but for Christ sake he just had a PPG season, I think that type of an impact carrying through 3 zones is possible with what I've seen of his skating.)
Go ahead and scratch option 1 out lol. Baring some injury, he's entering the NHL as one of the best skaters.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Schwartz is good on his edges but Kyrou is even better. The way he can dance at top speed is something to watch.

Yupp optuon 1 was just accounting for the change in the pace of the game between differing levels Was more of a conservative approach as to flat out saying that Kyrou will have Barzal-esquenimpact

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yupp optuon 1 was just accounting for the change in the pace of the game between differing levels Was more of a conservative approach as to flat out saying that Kyrou will have Barzal-esquenimpact
Ya I hear ya, but I get tired of always having to post the disclaimer lol

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Jeez...I suspect there are going to be a lot of folks disappointed with Kyrou when he doesn't become a "right-handed Schwartz" or Panarin-like. Holy cow has his hype-train has gone full-speed ahead. I don't think his upside is anywhere near what I've seen touted on this board, but to each their own. I'd be happy with a 40-point play-making winger, which I think he can become in 2 or 3 seasons...but if he ever sniffs north of 60-points in a season, I'd be floored. I'd also be surprised if he got even a single game in the NHL this season unless there were massive injuries, and I suspect this time next year some of the luster will have come off of his shine after a full season of playing in the A.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Is there anyone here that has watched either Kyrou or Barzal in the WHL for an extended stretch of games (I’m talking like 15) that doesn’t think he has Barzal-like potential? Because if so, I would love to read your take. I just can’t take the “needs to work on his play without the puck” and other generic posts that come off more as groupthink than actual analysis. Again, if you’ve really watched this guy outside of tournaments, please tell me why it’s not reasonable to at least conclude he has superstar potential. I don’t see how anyone can watch Barzal in both the NHL and WHL level and not quickly realize that only a handful of players can do what Barzal does, and quick come to the conclusion that Kyrou has that kind of skillset and talent to do just that.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Jeez...I suspect there are going to be a lot of folks disappointed with Kyrou when he doesn't become a "right-handed Schwartz" or Panarin-like. Holy cow has his hype-train has gone full-speed ahead. I don't think his upside is anywhere near what I've seen touted on this board, but to each their own. I'd be happy with a 40-point play-making winger, which I think he can become in 2 or 3 seasons...but if he ever sniffs north of 60-points in a season, I'd be floored. I'd also be surprised if he got even a single game in the NHL this season unless there were massive injuries, and I suspect this time next year some of the luster will have come off of his shine after a full season of playing in the A.
What are you basing this off of?

Honestly if he's nothing more then a 40pt winger....that's not too shabby for a 2nd round pick.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
What are you basing this off of?
Honestly if he's nothing more then a 40pt winger....that's not too shabby for a 2nd round pick.

Basing what off of? The perceived hype, or his upside? It seems like nobody even considers the likelihood of Kyrou busting as at worst most folks seem to think he's going to be a borderline top-6 winger. I just don't expect him to hit the ground running and compete for a job in the NHL right away like a lot of folks do. I anticipate he's going to struggle, and need some time to adapt in a men's league and he's quickly going to find out that the individual efforts that worked in junior aren't going to cut it in the pros. Of the big-4, pre-ROR trade, he's always seemed the rawest and the biggest long-shot to succeed.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Basing what off of? The perceived hype, or his upside? It seems like nobody even considers the likelihood of Kyrou busting as at worst most folks seem to think he's going to be a borderline top-6 winger. I just don't expect him to hit the ground running and compete for a job in the NHL right away like a lot of folks do. I anticipate he's going to struggle, and need some time to adapt in a men's league and he's quickly going to find out that the individual efforts that worked in junior aren't going to cut it in the pros. Of the big-4, pre-ROR trade, he's always seemed the rawest and the biggest long-shot to succeed.
Tage Thompson is less skilled in everything other than his one-timer, and is much more of a do-it-myself type of player than Kyrou, and he struggled because of it. Kyrou can regain possession himself, skate extremely well, utilized his teammates constantly, and has the skillz to pay the billz when it comes to play making and finishing in close. Thompson was and will be more of a project, IMO.

Kostin has a lot to work on when we aren’t talking about offense. He’s not a takeaway machine like Kyrou, isn’t that great of a skater though he has good top speed once he gets there, and he doesn’t have the IQ Kyrou has.

I don’t think Kyrou has much of a chance at all of busting, and I would say both Kostin and Tage are longer term projects given their deficiencies compared to their strengths.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
That's just plain not true. I’ve not seen anyone unwilling to admit he has incredibly high bust percentage. Also his upside is 100% warranted. This is coming from someone who has watched at least 40 of his Sarnia games last year and all of the WJC. I feel pretty comfortable assessing most prospects from the OHL given my viewings between he and Thomas. There’s a reason he was the OHL MVP. He isn’t the second coming, but he’s got impact potential and we have more than enough reason to be hyped about it.

Especially as great as this off-season has gone, who can’t help but be optimistic?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
How much have you watched him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad