LeBrun: Blues open to trading Hoffman and Bozak

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Then why would you want him?
Maybe I missed the post but I didn't see it anywhere that he said that he wanted him...only that Bozak at 5mill has negative value...and that's true but in this market it's emphasized. He simply isn't worth giving up any assets for unless a similar cap dump is involved

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Are the Blues really just giving up on this season?

They won the Cup two years ago, had the 2nd best record in the league at the stoppage last year and are still within striking distance for a playoff spot.

Didn't really have them pegged as sellers.
I imagine at least a couple of teams on the outside fringe looking in will move piece for futures and cap space. Sure anything can happen once you get into the playoffs. But with how valuable cap space is. Even more so than ever with the financials of the league during COVID. And playoff profits minimal due to limited or no fans. I imagine at least a couple of the fringe teams say f*** it let’s set the team up best to retool for next year.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Maybe I missed the post but I didn't see it anywhere that he said that he wanted him...only that Bozak at 5mill has negative value...and that's true but in this market it's emphasized. He simply isn't worth giving up any assets for unless a similar cap dump is involved
I'm sure even money for 1 year can be done. Blues are not taking on extra years of contract. If bozak has negative value then don't worry about it. It seems he is better then what leafs currently have.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Leafs should bring Bozak back, he'd be the perfect 3C. He was put into the wrong role in his first run here, right now that's exactly what we need. A reliable 3c who can PK and is great on faceoffs.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Avs won't be in on Bozak, our cap space will be going to a #2 goalie and #5/6 defenseman. Bozak would potentially be an upgrade over Bellemare and insurance in case a center goes down, but he's not worth the asking price or the cap hit for it to be worthwhile.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
What’s your definition of a haul for DP?
An upgraded version of the Coleman/Goodrow trades (due to how much better of a player Perron is) with the conditional aspect of the McDonagh trade. I don't know the prospect pools of all the teams that would be interested in Perron, but I'd imagine if it were from, e.g. Colorado you'd see one of Newhook/Timmins/Bowers plus this year's first and something conditional based on performance (next year's first if Colorado wins the Stanley Cup in either year). Something close to that from any caller.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Here are my predictions for bozak and Hoffman.

Late first for Hoffman with full retention and possible taking back of peding ufa to make money work.

Late 2nd or 3rd pick for full retention and possibly taking back pending ufa contract to make money work.

Now you say that may be high but let's be honest, this is an extremely weak draft and everyone knows it. A late first is a crap shoot and late 2nd or 3rds are a coin flip to even make nhl.

Last edited:

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

They won the Cup two years ago, had the 2nd best record in the league at the stoppage last year and are still within striking distance for a playoff spot.

The Blues are 2-7-1 in their last 10, on a 3 game losing streak and are 5 points back. The team they are chasing is 7-2-1 in their last 10 and on a 3 game win streak.

They are not going to make the playoffs, and their GM has a history of trading UFA players even when his team is close to a playoff spot if he doesn't feel that the team is going to end up making it.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Here are my predictions for bozak and Hoffman.

Late first for Hoffman with full retention and possible taking back of peding ufa to make money work.

Late 2nd or 3rd pick for full retention and possibly taking back pending ufa contract to make money work.

Now you say that may be high but let's be honest, this is an extremely weak draft and everyone knows it. A late first is a crap shoot and late 2nd or 3rds are a coin flip to even make nhl.

Even in a weak draft, i doubt Hoffman gets you a 1st. Just look at how long it took him to find a team. On top of that, he doesn't have great numbers this year. I don't see the Blues getting more than a 2nd and honestly, that would still be a good offer.

So a 2nd and a 4th and the retain some salary.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Even in a weak draft, i doubt Hoffman gets you a 1st. Just look at how long it took him to find a team. On top of that, he doesn't have great numbers this year. I don't see the Blues getting more than a 2nd and honestly, that would still be a good offer.

There was no money left with flat cap. He chose blues cause he got 4 mil. Also retention of salary cost teams. That's always been the case. Dont forget the bidding war or injured players. Hoffman gets a first. But hey we will know when we know.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
The Blues are 2-7-1 in their last 10, on a 3 game losing streak and are 5 points back. The team they are chasing is 7-2-1 in their last 10 and on a 3 game win streak.

They are not going to make the playoffs, and their GM has a history of trading UFA players even when his team is close to a playoff spot if he doesn't feel that the team is going to end up making it.
Those are players he doesn't want back. Also blues were out of a playoff spot when they won the cup remeber.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

They are currently 5 points back of Arizona for 4th place, and have a pretty tough schedule remaining with 14 of 18 games being against one of the top teams in the division. 7 games against the Wild, 4 against the Avs, and 3 against Vegas.

Arizona, on the other hand, has 4 games each against LA and SJ.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I'd be a big sucker for a Bozak reunion.

I don't want to give up an A prospect or a 1st, does the deal get done with say a 2nd and a 3rd or 2nd and B prospect?

That's the value I'd be fine with, but thats just my analysis.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

I agree with your last sentence here but want to clarify why Hoffman didn't sign till late. He was specifically targeting the Blues who had to wait to LTIR Tarasenko before they could sign him. He had interest from other teams, he just told them no.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I'd be a big sucker for a Bozak reunion.

I don't want to give up an A prospect or a 1st, does the deal get done with say a 2nd and a 3rd or 2nd and B prospect?

That's the value I'd be fine with, but thats just my analysis.

I would take a 2nd 2021

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Leafs should bring Bozak back, he'd be the perfect 3C. He was put into the wrong role in his first run here, right now that's exactly what we need. A reliable 3c who can PK and is great on faceoffs.

Yeah Bozak would be the perfect addition. They have everything except a shutdown faceoff oriented C and Bozak already had success in Toronto in that type of role. They basically need him to provide exactly what he provided for the St. Louis cup run. Capitals were night and day with respect to playing winning playoff hockey after getting Lars Eller to fortify that shutdown chunk of ice time

Reactions: AvroArrow

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
No to Toronto! He has 4 points this year and got paid $4,250,000 with a 5 million cap hit. That ship has sailed and it was a one way ticket. No reunions allowed!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->