Blues on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
I think its safe to say that this team will still remain in St. Louis, and it will continue to operate once the season resumes.

St. Louis is one of the better hockey markets out there, and I can't see the NHL without them.

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
How much do you think an established franchise like the Blues is worth today on the open market?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
snafu said:
How much do you think an established franchise like the Blues is worth today on the open market?
Double the Ducks' $75M? Particularly since Savvis is packaged with it. The owners of the Pond were the people that bought the Ducks.

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
norrisnick said:
Double the Ducks' $75M? Particularly since Savvis is packaged with it. The owners of the Pond were the people that bought the Ducks.

I just checked the Forbes team valuations, pre-lockout, and the Blues were at $140 MM. I know it can't scale because the Ducks were at $108 MM pre-lockout. I guess whoever is interested will be interested in seeing what the CBA looks like, so I doubt that this will move quickly...then again...who knows how badly the owner wants out?

WC Handy*

norrisnick said:

Savvis isn't included... but the 'long term lease' is which I'm pretty sure means they have full control of all of the dates.

WC Handy*

mr gib said:
laurie is a sketchy dood - re: vancouver grizzlies

Not that I'm particularly in the mood to defend the guy selling 'my team' right now, but could you explain this comment? From my recollection Laurie got screwed by the NBA.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Laurie is Stan Kroenke's brother-in-law. Laurie had an greement to buy the Avalanche, Nuggets and Pepsi Center when Accent Shareholders forced an open bid for the property, Kroenke won. Laurie and Stan a primarily interested in basketball and that is a bit of a fued between them (Laurie not getting an NBA team). Bill was once quoted as saying "This beer coaster knows more about hockey than Stan." Rick Reilley wrote a column about their fued. This has to be another bitter pill for Bill.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
WC Handy said:
Not that I'm particularly in the mood to defend the guy selling 'my team' right now, but could you explain this comment? From my recollection Laurie got screwed by the NBA.
not true - and stay tooned and i'll dig up some links - he challenged david stern - the nba actually wanted the team to stay in vancouver but laurie thought he could swoop in and dictate his own agenda - funny - it was just on sports radio here in vancouver -

WC Handy*

mr gib said:
not true - and stay tooned and i'll dig up some links - he challenged david stern - the nba actually wanted the team to stay in vancouver but laurie thought he could swoop in and dictate his own agenda - funny - it was just on sports radio here in vancouver -

You mean kind of like how the guy that eventually bought the Grizzlies dictated his own agenda? Laurie wanted to buy a team to move it to St Louis and as we can see in hindsight, Stern was an idiot to block it.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
WC Handy said:
You mean kind of like how the guy that eventually bought the Grizzlies dictated his own agenda? Laurie wanted to buy a team to move it to St Louis and as we can see in hindsight, Stern was an idiot to block it.
i agree with you there - but at the time stern had his hack jackson wanking away and the nba'ers just did not like the guy's thing - notice he still can't get a team

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
whoever is getting out of hockey now has absolutely no forsight, because we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now.. within 5 years the NHL should be very profitable

WC Handy*

bcrt2000 said:
whoever is getting out of hockey now has absolutely no forsight, because we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now.. within 5 years the NHL should be very profitable

I couldn't agree more. It's a very foolish time to sell a hockey team for someone like Laurie that can obviously afford to keep the team until the franchise values sky rocket.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Laurie paid for an arena for Mizzou. He had naming rights and wanted to name it after his daughter (Paige Arena) even though she never attended UM.

WC Handy*

Hasbro said:
Laurie paid for an arena for Mizzou. He had naming rights and wanted to name it after his daughter (Paige Arena) even though she never attended UM.

Laurie donated $25M of the $75M it took to build the arena and then wanted to name it "Paige SPORTS Arena" after his company "Paige Sports" which is named after his daughter.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
WC Handy said:
Laurie donated $25M of the $75M it took to build the arena and then wanted to name it "Paige SPORTS Arena" after his company "Paige Sports" which is named after his daughter.
Thanks for clarifying.

on the boards

Feb 28, 2005
Part of the purpose of the NHL's war chest was to to buy any team that didn't agree to the final negotiated CBA. Laurie is taking Bettman and the other owners up on their offer--

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
Wow, as a Blues fan, I feel a bit alarmed.

No sense of danger is necessary as the team will stay in St. Louis (seeing as how it is one of the greater hockey markets in the USA).

Still, hard to see why Laurie would sell now. This is the time where payrolls will come spiralling downwards. The Blues payroll once topped $60 million, so the losses should be effectively eliminated when hockey resumes.

My feeling is that Laurie never really cared for hockey. He was and still is a basketball guy. If that's the case, perhaps we should say good riddance. It's not like his family is greatly respected ( his daughter was found cheating at her university - she paid off another student to do her homework). :teach:

It will be interesting to see who buys the team.

Also the the Savvis Center will be renamed in the near future as Savvis decided not to pick up on the agreement.

Bad fact: the Blues are the heaviest taxed team in pro sports. :shakehead This will have to change.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
wow, i'm shocked. i thought this new cba was what the owners were looking for. hard to figure this one out, perhaps the revenues that the blues will be forced to share are very significant. what a terrible time for an owner to sell his team.

the company with the arena naming rights also cancelled their sponsorship agreement ? weird developments.

what does this mean for hockey in st.louis.

is it possible that the blues could relocate ?

is this just the first in a long line of owners looking to dump their franchises ?

very interesting development.

st.louis is a great sports town so i have no doubt the team willfind an owner, but what does this development mean for the league as a whole ?

WC Handy*

WC Handy said:
Savvis isn't included... but the 'long term lease' is which I'm pretty sure means they have full control of all of the dates.

The Blues have a lease on Savvis that runs through 2044.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->