Blues Goaltending

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Carolina has waived G Scott Darling. Should the Blues take a flyer on him? He had save percentages of .936, .915, .924 over the past three seasons for Chicago prior to his current .888 this year. Maybe with a change of scenery he could help the Blues.

.888 isn't as good as Johnson, but his last three years are significantly better.... maybe a change of scenery for him and a change of goalie for the Blues would be win-win.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
darling is only a back up in my mind. a darling/johnson tandem is probably just as bad as allen/johnson. may be worse.

any khl keepers to bring in?

we could probably dump allen in ottawa as anderson needs a back up.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Carolina has waived G Scott Darling. Should the Blues take a flyer on him? He had save percentages of .936, .915, .924 over the past three seasons for Chicago prior to his current .888 this year. Maybe with a change of scenery he could help the Blues.

.888 isn't as good as Johnson, but his last three years are significantly better.... maybe a change of scenery for him and a change of goalie for the Blues would be win-win.

A few things here:

That .888 was from last season. That was his only season as a "starter" and encompasses a sample size of 43 games. I put the word starter in quotes because he lost his job to Cam Ward in year 1 of a 4 year, $16.6 mil contract. He was given multiple chances to turn around his abysmal season since he was paid like a starter and never did. He currently has an .892 this year.

Which brings me to my next point. Darling does not have better numbers over the last 3 years than Johnson, because his games played in Chicago were pretty damn low. In the past 3 seasons, plus this season, Darling has a .905 while Johnson has a .907. If you count this season as a year and then go back only 2 seasons, Darling has a .902 compared to Johnson's .900.

Darling has proven that he can be a really good backup on a good team. He has not demonstrated that he can handle a starter's workload or that he can post respectable numbers for a bad or mediocre team. He also counts as $4.15 mil against the cap for this season and another 2 after that (almost identical cap hit with the same term as Allen). Darling can't be brought in as a replacement for Johnson. We don't have the cap space and even if we cleared the space, investing $8.5 against the cap in an Allen/Darling tandem for 2+ years is insane.

Darling only makes sense as a trade where Allen is going the other way. I don't think we win a trade like that, but it is absolutely the only way this organization can gamble that Darling can succeed with a change of scenery.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Yeah, the more I looked into it, the more I sounded dumb.

But that's nothing new.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
After the last few games, I am not sure that we should jettison Jake Allen. It's obvious Yeo's done considerable damage to this team off the ice and Berube might be able to right the ship if he gets the support he needs (for me this means Armstrong being gone and Stillman handling things directly). I'd call up Binnington and test the waters for a few games. Chad has Elliott tendencies in that, if you catch him at the right moment, he can go momentarily elite.

Reactions: stl76

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
After the last few games, I am not sure that we should jettison Jake Allen. It's obvious Yeo's done considerable damage to this team off the ice and Berube might be able to right the ship if he gets the support he needs (for me this means Armstrong being gone and Stillman handling things directly). I'd call up Binnington and test the waters for a few games. Chad has Elliott tendencies in that, if you catch him at the right moment, he can go momentarily elite.

A can agree with pretty much all of that.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Darling for Allen, that was hilarious. I admit I don't see a whole lot of his games but from what I have seen Scott Darling is brutal. Probably worse than Johnson even. Zero interest here.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
A few things here:

That .888 was from last season. That was his only season as a "starter" and encompasses a sample size of 43 games. I put the word starter in quotes because he lost his job to Cam Ward in year 1 of a 4 year, $16.6 mil contract. He was given multiple chances to turn around his abysmal season since he was paid like a starter and never did. He currently has an .892 this year.

Which brings me to my next point. Darling does not have better numbers over the last 3 years than Johnson, because his games played in Chicago were pretty damn low. In the past 3 seasons, plus this season, Darling has a .905 while Johnson has a .907. If you count this season as a year and then go back only 2 seasons, Darling has a .902 compared to Johnson's .900.

Darling has proven that he can be a really good backup on a good team. He has not demonstrated that he can handle a starter's workload or that he can post respectable numbers for a bad or mediocre team. He also counts as $4.15 mil against the cap for this season and another 2 after that (almost identical cap hit with the same term as Allen). Darling can't be brought in as a replacement for Johnson. We don't have the cap space and even if we cleared the space, investing $8.5 against the cap in an Allen/Darling tandem for 2+ years is insane.

Darling only makes sense as a trade where Allen is going the other way. I don't think we win a trade like that, but it is absolutely the only way this organization can gamble that Darling can succeed with a change of scenery.
Not disagreeing with what you are saying but couldn't the same have been said about Elliott and Hutton too? To a degree Halak?

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Just played EANHL and finished the season with Allen posting a .955 SV%, a 1.01 GAA, and winning the Vezina. I can never find a taker for Allen at the beginning of 2019, but this time it paid off. Became an 89OA the following year. The sad part is that every other time I’ve kept him, he single-handedly tanked the team posting a .888 SV% and a 3.89 GAA.

Goaltending matters, and even in fantasyland it’s difficult to find a decent starter. This needs to be our first priority - you build from the net out. We’ve wasted primes of our other players due to lack of competent goaltending

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
A
Not disagreeing with what you are saying but couldn't the same have been said about Elliott and Hutton too? To a degree Halak?

To a degree, yes. And I wouldn't want Elliott or Halak if they came with Darling's contract.

If you're talking about Halak in the summer before we acquired him, he was coming a a 43 start season where he posted a .924, stole the #1 job by the end of the year and had a lights out 3 round playoff run. He had proven much more than Darling has at this point in his career and most people still consider that acquisition/extension by Army as a mistake.

Elliott had proven nothing before he got here and was compensated to reflect that. He was brought in to fight for the backup job on a 1 year, league minimum deal. He played excellent as a Blue and eventually was traded to get a job as a true starter instead of a tandem guy. By the time he left St. Louis, he had 45 and 38 start seasons on his resume and excellent numbers. He also had a lights out, 3 round playoff performance on his resume. That was more than Darling has proven. Since that time, he has been mediocre at best and (IMO) demonstrated that he can't be a starter in the NHL. I certainly wouldn't want him on Darling's contract.

With Hutton, I wouldn't have given him Darling's contract after last season with the Blues. Since that time, Hutton has proven much more over 21 starts as a starter than Darling has in his entire time in Carolina. I still think the jury is out on Hutton's true ability as a starter until we see his overall season through 45 or 50 starts, but he has gotten much closer to proving himself since he left us than Darling has at any point since leaving the Hawks. I would certainly not want Hutton if his end of the season SV% winds up looking like Darling's has over his time in Carolina.

Reactions: Lancer

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
darling is only a back up in my mind. a darling/johnson tandem is probably just as bad as allen/johnson. may be worse.

any khl keepers to bring in?

we could probably dump allen in ottawa as anderson needs a back up.
I want Allen to Ottawa big time. What the cost

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
It has to be a trade, we don't have the cap space.

It also has to be a trade because any GM with Allen and Darling on the roster with their contracts should be fired on the spot.

Is this worse or better than Niemi/Lehtonen?

(for me this means Armstrong being gone and Stillman handling things directly).

I'm sorry, WHAT??????? you want someone who has had no experience actually running sports team, to take control over a franchise that he is part owner of, instead of hiring someone with some kind of tangible expertise in the area? Are you insane?

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Is this worse or better than Niemi/Lehtonen?

I'm sorry, WHAT??????? you want someone who has had no experience actually running sports team, to take control over a franchise that he is part owner of, instead of hiring someone with some kind of tangible expertise in the area? Are you insane?

What I wrote doesn't match what I was thinking, so my apologies on that. What I meant to say was that Armstrong should take a more active role in running the franchise and not leave it entirely in the hands of people like Doug Armstrong, especially with the team going to the Cap and going from the WCF to bottom dweller in a very short period of time. At this point, Stillman should be considering options and should have a grasp on how the organization is running and the problems in the locker room and if he's not, that means he has the wrong people in place.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Allen's been the least of our worries the last several games. What you're getting out of him is Elliott level play the last couple of years he was here. He's obviously focusing on trying to stay more positional. Unfortunately, like Elliott, his save percentages in shootouts and breakaways have dropped because of it. Elliott was not good in that regard either, but at least the game was usually kept to less than the league minimum in scoring. If the team can't muster a league minimum in scoring on a nightly basis, you have to consider there might be more pressing issues.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Allen's been the least of our worries the last several games. What you're getting out of him is Elliott level play the last couple of years he was here. He's obviously focusing on trying to stay more positional. Unfortunately, like Elliott, his save percentages in shootouts and breakaways have dropped because of it. Elliott was not good in that regard either, but at least the game was usually kept to less than the league minimum in scoring. If the team can't muster a league minimum in scoring on a nightly basis, you have to consider there might be more pressing issues.
He has been the least of our problems recently, but we should still dump him the moment the opportunity presents itself. He's had over 2 years now and he has shown us who he is.

Hopefully his current level of play continues long enough to get some GM to want to take the risk without us needing to take back a bad contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad