OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
A #3 hitter would really turn the team around and make it a decent contender.

De Jong is producing like a #3 hitter though.

His 162 game pace is 38 homers, 100 RBI, and an OPS of .854. De Jong is the #3 hitter that we've been looking for this season. Now we'll have to see if he keeps it up over the long-haul in future seasons, but for this season, he's been a good #3 hitter.

Cards need a few position upgrades and a much better/consistent bullpen.

Last edited:

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
De Jong is producing like a #3 hitter though.

His 162 game pace is 38 homers, 100 RBI, and an OPS of .854. De Jong is the #3 hitter that we've been looking for this season. Now we'll have to see if he keeps it up over the long-haul in future seasons, but for this season, he's been a good #3 hitter.

I'm still skeptical but he's promising. We need an established guy that will "strike fear" when he steps up to the plate. Man it would be nice to have a young Pujols

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
Wouldn't go that far. Cardinals don't have near the talent that the Blues have relative to their respective sports. Similar, but the Cards have more wholes and the depth pieces aren't as good as the Blues.

I disagree. The Cardinals are currently 8th in offensive WAR and also 8th in pitching WAR. I would say the Blues sit somewhere around the 8th best team in the league. I expect the pitching to improve, as Weaver and Flaherty get more comfortable at the MLB level, and Reyes returns from TJ. No doubt the team has been very frustrating to watch at times this year, but it has also been pretty unlucky. The team's +74 run differential is higher than that of the Cubs, and much higher than the Rockies and Brewers.

The lineup is pretty much above average at every position, except for at RF, where Piscotty has been terrible. But I think he has a pretty good personal reason for his struggles, and corner OF is a good place to acquire a big bat anyway for the #3 spot.

De Jong has been a pleasant surprise for sure, especially defensively. But he will need to seriously improve his plate discipline; you cannot sustain success with 14 BB and 106 K in 349 ABs and a .354 BABIP. As of a month ago, he had the worst non-contact wOBA in baseball. The good news is that he has improved somewhat since he has been called up, but his profile is still terrible (https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2017/8/7/16105388/cardinals-more-paul-dejong-trouble). Don't get me wrong, I think he has been impressive when you consider the expectations. But he has a lot of work to do lest he become next year's Aledmys Diaz.

I would like to see at least one OF traded due to the surplus: Fowler, Pham, Grichuk, Piscotty, Martinez, Bader, and Pham. Acquiring Stanton would provide the big bat, but there's no telling whether the Marlins will trade him, and if so, they have to eat some of that ridiculous contract.

I'd definitely be a big fan of going after Harper or especially Machado after next year, but it would be hard to hold back this offseason and risk another year of missing the playoffs (assuming it happens again this year) in hopes of signing one of the big FAs after 2018.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
this cubs/cards game is amazing. lackey and contreras just got tossed after a CLEAR strike 3 on Cmart (cmart was walking towards dugout as it was a clear inning ending K). Next pitch he hits a RBI single LMAO

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Tech question. When ordering the center ice package, do they blackout Blues games due to FSMW? I don't have FSMW at my weekend property, but don't want to miss Blues games. I have Direct Tv there

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Get a chromecast and use fox sports go. Can login and then cast the game from a laptop or mobile device. 35$ vs 100$ and no blackout

I have direct tv and a wireless hot spot down there with decent speed. Would these work?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Tech question. When ordering the center ice package, do they blackout Blues games due to FSMW? I don't have FSMW at my weekend property, but don't want to miss Blues games. I have Direct Tv there

I had Center Ice the year before last through Comcast. I just moved back to Indiana and didn't realize our FS1 aired Blues games here when they aren't on at the same time as the Pacers. Every single Blues game was blacked out for Center Ice. Every single friggin game. Total waste of money. Even the ones that weren't aired on FS1 because they showed the Pacers instead, still go blacked out. Center Ice was a waste of money and I had no way to watch certain Blues games when they aired. I had to wait for a truncated replay on FS1 late the same night or next morning despite paying $150. Long story short, I wouldn't recommend it.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
In this day and age I'd much rather cut the cord than deal with all that crap.

If you're tech capable at all there are certain ways to watch the games. Just takes some research.

If you need a point in the right direction PM me.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Cool thanks. I'm a little concerned about the speed. I'll have to look into it

Where is your weekend place located (roughly)? Your options will depend upon the market you are in.

You could look into a sling box too. But internet speed will matter.

If you were willing and able to switch to PlayStation Vue and ditch DirectTV, that might be a good option too.

I cut the cord and I am saving a ton of money.

P.S. I found Apple TV better for streaming than Chromcast.

Last edited:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I had Center Ice the year before last through Comcast. I just moved back to Indiana and didn't realize our FS1 aired Blues games here when they aren't on at the same time as the Pacers. Every single Blues game was blacked out for Center Ice. Every single friggin game. Total waste of money. Even the ones that weren't aired on FS1 because they showed the Pacers instead, still go blacked out. Center Ice was a waste of money and I had no way to watch certain Blues games when they aired. I had to wait for a truncated replay on FS1 late the same night or next morning despite paying $150. Long story short, I wouldn't recommend it.

Same thing here. Thanks to some... methods that aren't kosher to talk about here, I finally found a way around the regional blackouts, but that wasn't until like 90% of the way through last season. It wasn't that big of a deal to haul my butt into a bar to watch games and whatnot, but sometimes you just don't feel like going through the effort, dealing with the distractions, or spending the money.

If they're truly trying to grow the game, they could be doing a lot more. I think the idea that showing games locally discourages people from going to the games is totally bogus, it just doesn't really make any intuitive sense. Especially if "locally" includes a 5-6 hour bubble around the stadium. I'm not driving 12 hours (6 of which would be after the game, at night) to go see a Wednesday night game against the Devils, I'm just not. Even if I had enough money for season tickets, there's no way I'm spending it on a team in a different state, and then putting myself through that ordeal every time I want to see them play. So that leaves me to do things that I'm sure they'd rather not have me do just in order to get what I paid for. NHL.tv is great for international folks, but if you live anywhere near the team you're rooting for in North America and you're a chord cutter like me, you really get screwed by the league (who doesn't do nearly enough to educate people about what they're actually buying with that $150).

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I get some of the issues people have on here for the value of NHL.tv but I get it every year so I can watch anyone else EXCEPT the Blues. I love being able to watch live games from other markets, game replays, and highlights. That said, the NHL app for my Roku device is just awful, especially when binge watching game highlights. Constantly locking up and needing to re-start. Does anyone have other devices they use where their app performs well?

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
NHL.tv's streaming service has plenty of issues across all platforms to be honest. You'll be hard pressed to find anything that works flawlessly.

I like that the way I'm doing things now I can watch home or away feeds and replays of all OHL/WHL/QMJHL, AHL, NHL, or even ECHL games.

Been watching a lot of Thomas play for London, the Wolves playoff games, and Blues replays. Been a fantastic filler before season starts.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
NHL.tv's streaming service has plenty of issues across all platforms to be honest. You'll be hard pressed to find anything that works flawlessly.

I like that the way I'm doing things now I can watch home or away feeds and replays of all OHL/WHL/QMJHL, AHL, NHL, or even ECHL games.

Been watching a lot of Thomas play for London, the Wolves playoff games, and Blues replays. Been a fantastic filler before season starts.
How are you watching those leagues?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Where is your weekend place located (roughly)? Your options will depend upon the market you are in.

You could look into a sling box too. But internet speed will matter.

If you were willing and able to switch to PlayStation Vue and ditch DirectTV, that might be a good option too.

I cut the cord and I am saving a ton of money.

P.S. I found Apple TV better for streaming than Chromcast.

Near Farmington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->