OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
i feel sorry for the suckers who paid 100 dollars to watch that fight. more boring than cspan.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I just like seeing the ******** from the tap out shirt gang. What happened is exactly what was always going to happen.

What was supposed to happen? One of the greatest boxers of all time was supposed to lose the first couple rounds, be taken 10 rounds and win with a stoppage while his opponent was still standing against a guy in his first pro fight with only a few months training? I'd say the ultimate result was what was always going to happen, but it was A LOT closer than it should have been. Those tap-out shirt guys (for the record, I don't own a single piece of MMA themed clothing) have a lot to talk **** about after that one. If Mayweather would have stepped into a UFC ring, with UFC rules, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as close.

Let me clarify that I didn't watch the fight. I am going off post-fight commentary and highlights. While I don't think that was a good boxing stoppage, that was a good MMA stoppage for sure. He wasn't intelligently defending himself, so he risks having it stopped. He almost definitely wouldn't have won based on everything. That doesn't matter though. For having to fight within the confines of those rules for the first time ever against the absolute best at doing so, that was a hell of an effort.....or the whole thing was rigged lol

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
How do you know if you didn't see it?

You could have watched it without paying to watch it. Go to a sports bar, order a basket of wings, fries and a beer, you watch it for $15 bucks and get a late night snack. Or go to a friends house. Get 5 people together and its $20 each. Or for the unscrupulous pirates among us, argggh, steal it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
What was supposed to happen? One of the greatest boxers of all time was supposed to lose the first couple rounds, be taken 10 rounds and win with a stoppage while his opponent was still standing against a guy in his first pro fight with only a few months training? I'd say the ultimate result was what was always going to happen, but it was A LOT closer than it should have been. Those tap-out shirt guys (for the record, I don't own a single piece of MMA themed clothing) have a lot to talk **** about after that one. If Mayweather would have stepped into a UFC ring, with UFC rules, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as close.

Let me clarify that I didn't watch the fight. I am going off post-fight commentary and highlights. While I don't think that was a good boxing stoppage, that was a good MMA stoppage for sure. He wasn't intelligently defending himself, so he risks having it stopped. He almost definitely wouldn't have won based on everything. That doesn't matter though. For having to fight within the confines of those rules for the first time ever against the absolute best at doing so, that was a hell of an effort.....or the whole thing was rigged lol
Yeah but who cares? Mayweather has never said he could do that (to my knowledge at least). It was the other guy spouting off that he could beat Mayweather at his own sport. He couldn't.

It was a pretty solid fight (better than Floyd's last one) but I still think McGregor is getting too much credit. Look, he boxed well for the first 3 rounds. Mayweather was going pure defense and letting him get tired and then he took over. By round 9, McGregor was holding on for dear life and was slowing down majorly. In round 10 he was done.

10 rounds is 10 rounds but I don't necessarily agree with the people that think he looked strong up until the stoppage. He looked good for 3-4 rounds and clearly lost the others. That's not a very long time. He started off strong and then went straight downhill which is basically what everyone predicted so where is the surprise? People said he couldn't last 12 rounds and he didn't. Mayweather isn't really a power guy, I don't think anyone thought he'd KO McGregor.

I keep reading that McGregor did better than everyone thought. What? Really? This fight went literally exactly as expected. For it being "a lot closer than it should have been" - not really, a 40-year old defensive fighter is gonna have a boxing match like that against anyone who knows at least something about how to fight. Money's gameplan was definitely to tire him out and then pick him apart.

Either way, it doesn't really matter as I couldn't really care less about either fighter and now that it's over I'm glad we can move on.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yeah but who cares? Mayweather has never said he could do that (to my knowledge at least). It was the other guy spouting off that he could beat Mayweather at his own sport. He couldn't.

It was a pretty solid fight (better than Floyd's last one) but I still think McGregor is getting too much credit. Look, he boxed well for the first 3 rounds. Mayweather was going pure defense and letting him get tired and then he took over. By round 9, McGregor was holding on for dear life and was slowing down majorly. In round 10 he was done.

10 rounds is 10 rounds but I don't necessarily agree with the people that think he looked strong up until the stoppage. He looked good for 3-4 rounds and clearly lost the others. That's not a very long time. He started off strong and then went straight downhill which is basically what everyone predicted so where is the surprise? People said he couldn't last 12 rounds and he didn't. Mayweather isn't really a power guy, I don't think anyone thought he'd KO McGregor.

I keep reading that McGregor did better than everyone thought. What? Really? This fight went literally exactly as expected. For it being "a lot closer than it should have been" - not really, a 40-year old defensive fighter is gonna have a boxing match like that against anyone who knows at least something about how to fight. Money's gameplan was definitely to tire him out and then pick him apart.

Either way, it doesn't really matter as I couldn't really care less about either fighter and now that it's over I'm glad we can move on.
Summed up perfectly. Im no boxing fan but my dad is, and he talked my head off about it. This is what was expected to happen. McGregor is a hype machine and wasn't going to win even though between my friends, they thought he would. I laff'd

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I was hoping McGregor would win, but I really didn't expect him to. Really the fight just reinforced my opinion that boxing is impossibly boring. Even with a lot on the line and stakes I actually cared about(wanting Mayweather to get knocked out) it was still just a snoozefest. I can sit down and watch MMA. I can at least see why people get into it. It's not for me, but I can understand the rush of watching these guys brawl it out. I feel similarly about fighting in hockey. I understand why some people love it, I just don't really care about it. I will never understand the love and former popularity of boxing.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If you like boxing, its usually because your into the technical aspect of it. It is boring...but so is baseball

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
"Greatest fans in baseball" voted to put the cheater in their HOF. McGwire is such a fraud. The comments he makes would be funny if he didn't mean them. He'll say he's sorry that he did PED's then follow that up with he thinks he would have hit 70 without them. He also wants everyone to remember that taking steroids wasn't against the rules. I'd have to get a copy of the MLB rule book but I'm pretty sure theft, arson, murder, or even jaywalking isn't against MLB rules. Guess what McGwire you fraud, PED's are illegal. He knowingly broke the law, and only did so to enhance his own performance. He's a carnival side show. "I'm sorry... but, but, but, but,....

The age of self entitlement, give everyone a trophy including the cheaters.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

The two bolded statements are incongruous. The 2nd one states that Mayweather would have that fight against anyone who knows how to box. Yet the first one said this fight was better, so assumedly closer, than his last one. That means McGreggor did better than the last fighter who was a pro-boxer by trade with 33 fights under his belt at the time.

I absolutely cannot comment on how he looked prior to the stoppage, because I didn't watch the fight. I skimmed a couple round by round blogs for a recap. 3 of the 4 had the fight 4-4 in the 8th, the other had it 5-3. Yes, it probably was a brilliant strategy by Flloyd to tire out McGreggor, but its not an impressive one. The current best pound for pound boxer and one of the GOATs, should not have to tire out a neophyte.

As many people who said McGreggor would win, said Mayweather would destroy him. There was a fight doctor making noise that the fight shouldn't have even been sanctioned much less with lighter gloves because he said McGreggor was absolutely going to get hurt. It was a lot closer than that. And Mayweather obviously gave McGreggor at least a punchers chance, because he did take the defensive strategy instead of straight-up out boxing him.

The thing about whether a Mayweather could survive in an MMA ring is more about the larger argument between MMA and boxing fans than anything Floyd said. Hardcore boxing fans and MMA fans have argued for years about which is the most pure combat sport. MMA fans have said that the sheer amount of things to defend makes MMA harder to master while boxing fans talk about how difficult it is to perfect that one thing. There is some truth to both. But the fact that an MMA fighter gave the GOAT a closer match than some pro-boxers, imo, adds fuel to the Tap-out shirt crowd (which is what I was addressing).

Summed up perfectly. Im no boxing fan but my dad is, and he talked my head off about it. This is what was expected to happen. McGregor is a hype machine and wasn't going to win even though between my friends, they thought he would. I laff'd

McGreggor is absolutely a hype machine. Normally that is great and adds to the suspense and entertainment. This fight turned me off a bit with how much hype, and how manufactured it was. That's why I didn't bother going to a sports bar to watch it, even though I could have gotten a table reserved at my favorite local bar. All-in-all though, the hype totally worked for him. He hyped himself into a $30M payday, which is huge for an MMA star. I believe McGreggor had the record at $3M for most ever earned for an MMA fight (which was a non-title out-of-weight-class fight with Diaz). MMA rakes in much less than the premiere boxing matches. And Mcgreggor absolutely has to be his own hype man because that's how MMA works. McGreggor doesn't have Don King promoting his fights like Tyson did back in boxings heyday. Its all on him and his team. That's just how the UFC works, they give the fighters the platform to promote themselves. An MMAs stars success is as directly related to self-promotion as it is to fighting ability. There are better pound-for-pound MMA fighters than McGreggor (although he is very good), yet he gets paid the most and gets to set his own matches. He can do that, because whatever he puts his hype behind, sells and makes Dana White and his opponent a lot of money.

I am not a fan of either fighter. I enjoy both sports casually. I tend to side more with the Tap-out shirt guys on MMA being much more difficult to master. And from what I have heard, the fight was much more credible than I imagined, which means McGreggor did a fairly good job given the challenges he faced. According to some, he actually outboxed Mayweather for a few rounds. Even though Mayweathers strategy played into that, it is still a feet very few people in the world could accomplish.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
MMA is harder to master, its just logic.

As for what Mayweather did, that's just what he does. My point was he didn't alter style, he played his defensive technical game till McGregor tired out which from what I read didnt take long. Mayweather "gave" him ground, giving him his chance and shut him down, then cranked up the pressure and school was in session. At least that's how it was described to me. Anyone expecting Mayweather to kill him was out of line...that's not his game.

MMA is more exciting but i vaguely pay any attention to it anymore. The hype around it is getting WWE worthy and the fights are getting repetitive(not sure how else to explain it from my perspective)

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
The current best pound for pound boxer and one of the GOATs, should not have to tire out a neophyte.

And Mayweather obviously gave McGreggor at least a punchers chance, because he did take the defensive strategy instead of straight-up out boxing him.

I don't really agree with either of these statements. McGregor did very well for himself in the fight, even Mayweather conceded that McGregor was better than he expected; however, a big part of boxing is purely strategy, being defensive at the appropriate times, and wearing out your opponent. Some people will see that McGregor went 10 rounds and assume that the match was close - it wasn't. The match was close for 3-4 rounds, but not overall. It's like pitting a sprinter against a marathoner and saying that the race was close because after one mile the two were about even, even though the marathoner lapped the sprinter in the end.

I think many expected, even boxing experts/fans, that McGregor would do well for the first 3-4 rounds, which he did. But Mayweather likely also knew/expected this to happen, and thus he engaged in a defensive posture...by doing so, he "out-boxed" McGregor. McGregor was gassed, and Mayweather looked like the fight had just begun. Boxing isn't just throwing pinches, it's being defensive at the appropriate times, as I stated before, and conserving energy for the right moments. McGregor expended all of his energy trying to knock out Mayweather (his only chance of winning). With that said, I think most expected this exact result to occur in the seventh or eighth round, and instead it occurred in the 10th...props to McGregor on that, for sure.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
MMA is harder to master, its just logic.

As for what Mayweather did, that's just what he does. My point was he didn't alter style, he played his defensive technical game till McGregor tired out which from what I read didnt take long. Mayweather "gave" him ground, giving him his chance and shut him down, then cranked up the pressure and school was in session. At least that's how it was described to me. Anyone expecting Mayweather to kill him was out of line...that's not his game.

MMA is more exciting but i vaguely pay any attention to it anymore. The hype around it is getting WWE worthy and the fights are getting repetitive(not sure how else to explain it from my perspective)

Fair enough (to tfriede2's points as well). I will admit, I don't follow Mayweather at all. I don't like his personality/persona and off-ring issues. So I am not that familiar with his fight history. I had heard that McGreggor wouldn't even be able to hit him, which he obviously did to win rounds. But not hard enough to do damage, I guess.

I totally agree with the bolded though. I loved UFC back when it was a tournament, in the Royce Gracie/Ken Shamrock days. I liked it a lot during the early days as it went legitimate. But lately it is too much about stories. They try to create rivalries and story-lines out of everything to sell tickets instead of pitting the best fighters against each other. Very WWE like.

Lakas

And i'll do it again in 2 minutes
Apr 7, 2016
Inunaki Village
Everybody knows never to get PPV for Mayweather fights. Only boxing purists enjoy his brand of boxing. Now if youre talking about fighters like Golovkin or even Pacquiao even now that he's slowed down, they're still worth the PPV.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Everybody knows never to get PPV for Mayweather fights. Only boxing purists enjoy his brand of boxing. Now if youre talking about fighters like Golovkin or even Pacquiao even now that he's slowed down, they're still worth the PPV.

Everybody knows? How come he is the biggest PPV draw in the sport. He has the top 3 biggest draws of all time, and 4 of the top 8 (Tyson has other 4, all post-comeback). And this fight is projected to give his Pacquaio fight, the biggest draw ever by far, a run for its money. That's a lot of people who clearly don't know and haven't learned their lesson lol I doubt its all boxing purists

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

He lost the first two rounds while very clearly not doing anything. He barely threw any punches and just defended, feeling out McGregor's style. It was very clear that Mayweather was never worried at all. You could see Mayweather shift gears and once he started trying, it was very quickly over.

It was also a good stoppage. McGregor wasn't defending himself or throwing punches and was only standing because he found the ropes.

Plus, it does help that McGregor had a height and weight advantage and Mayweather was older and coming out of retirement. I also think Mayweather was there to give the fans a good fight.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
"Greatest fans in baseball" voted to put the cheater in their HOF. McGwire is such a fraud. The comments he makes would be funny if he didn't mean them. He'll say he's sorry that he did PED's then follow that up with he thinks he would have hit 70 without them. He also wants everyone to remember that taking steroids wasn't against the rules. I'd have to get a copy of the MLB rule book but I'm pretty sure theft, arson, murder, or even jaywalking isn't against MLB rules. Guess what McGwire you fraud, PED's are illegal. He knowingly broke the law, and only did so to enhance his own performance. He's a carnival side show. "I'm sorry... but, but, but, but,....

The age of self entitlement, give everyone a trophy including the cheaters.

The last line doesn't really make sense with the rest of the post.

A HOF is a museum. I'm not sure how you can tell the story of the Cardinals in the 90's without Mark McGwire. Dude saved baseball along with Sosa.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
There's a display at Cooperstown about McGwire/Sosa and the home run race. The display includes a TV showing homerun #62 + the aftermath. All the Cubs infielders shaking his hand as he ran the bases, him picking up his son at home plate, Sammy running in from RF and joining him for a handshake and hug. When I first saw it, it really gave me chills, as it reminded me of being a kid watching those things unfold and remembering how fun it was to watch the race. Right next to that display is one about the PED era, which discusses McGwire, Palmeiro, Caminiti, et al. That's the way it should be. Let's have the whole story.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
i highly recommend uncharted the lost legacy to anyone with a ps4. better than uncharted 4 IMO.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
i highly recommend uncharted the lost legacy to anyone with a ps4. better than uncharted 4 IMO.

I am normally a big gamer, but I'll probably pick it up when it goes on a flash sale. My backlog of games is huge. Like embarrassingly, ridiculously too many games. I stocked up on everything I wanted to play but hadn't during humble, steam, PSN and Xbox Live's summer sales. But I have been so busy I haven't had a chance to play much of anything. So most games sit there while waiting their turn.

I normally would grab something like Uncharted on release anyway to support the Dev, but I have been very disappointed in the series since Uncharted 2. Uncharted 3 was awful. I hated it. Uncharted 4 was a step back in the right direction, and a definite must-play, but not a day 1 must-play. From everything I read, Lost Legacy is Uncharted 4, with a new story. Do they do much to differentiate gameplay-wise to be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad