OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Reyes had an MRI on his elbow. Couple tweets be seen from national reporters make it sound like he's headed for Tommy John. Crap.
giphy.gif

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Sucks but not tragic. The top 4 is set with Martinez, Wainwright, Lynn and Leaked. The 5 spot will be either Wacha, Weaver or Gonzale, even maybe a combo of them. Rosenthal will only take it of he blows everyone away. Otherwise he is long relief.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
im so glad Mo decided to dumpster dive this offseason.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
I wouldn't call Cecil and Fowler dumpster diving.

Fowler no, a solid pickup. but they could have down so much more like signing encarnacion for a really fair price. who cares about a bullpen pitcher who will likely take the back seat to siegrist anyways since Matheny loves him.

they did nothing else, nothing at all and they are gonna pay the price for it again. 2 years in a row of complete dumpster diving. that 76 win prediction looks pretty accurate and when that happens I expect the GM to be gone. dewitt gonna pocket that new tv deal money and laugh as another 3 million pile in to Busch to watch the Cubs run away with our division.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Fowler no, a solid pickup. but they could have down so much more like signing encarnacion for a really fair price. who cares about a bullpen pitcher who will likely take the back seat to siegrist anyways since Matheny loves him.

they did nothing else, nothing at all and they are gonna pay the price for it again. 2 years in a row of complete dumpster diving. that 76 win prediction looks pretty accurate and when that happens I expect the GM to be gone. dewitt gonna pocket that new tv deal money and laugh as another 3 million pile in to Busch to watch the Cubs run away with our division.

We've come out publicly and said we didn't want to be a mashing team anymore and wanted to improve the defense for the pitching staff. Encarnacion would've given us a feared bat, but he's poor defensively and will only get worse with more aging. The move that you wanted was never realistically on the table to be considered.

The one big move that would've be huge, would've been Turner, but that was never going to happen. Turner wanted to stay in LA.

And for Cecil, we finally have a strong bullpen, assuming it's reasonably healthy. Oh, Siegrist, Cecil is a very good main 3, even if Rosenthal sucks. If Rosenthal bounces back, then it's a big bonus.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016

Where are you seeing a projection of 76 wins? I've seen anywhere from 80-86 but never lower than 80. Also, what would signing Encarnacion do to alleviate the loss of Reyes for the year? Adding Encarnacion would have netted us, what, like .1 run/gm extra this season? Should Mo know that a player they had penciled into the rotation for the year was gonna get hurt before spring training? Did you want him to trade for or sign an expensive ($ or assets) starting pitcher that was going to displace one of Reyes, Wacha, Gonzales, Rosenthal, Weaver from the rotation anyway? You seem to find any reason to bash Mo. I think it's safe to consider you the Ransku of the Cardinals fanbase at this point.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Where are you seeing a projection of 76 wins? I've seen anywhere from 80-86 but never lower than 80. Also, what would signing Encarnacion do to alleviate the loss of Reyes for the year? Adding Encarnacion would have netted us, what, like .1 run/gm extra this season? Should Mo know that a player they had penciled into the rotation for the year was gonna get hurt before spring training? Did you want him to trade for or sign an expensive ($ or assets) starting pitcher that was going to displace one of Reyes, Wacha, Gonzales, Rosenthal, Weaver from the rotation anyway? You seem to find any reason to bash Mo. I think it's safe to consider you the Ransku of the Cardinals fanbase at this point.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/...is-teams-ugly-pecota-projection-unbelievable/

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016

It's based on PECOTA from Baseball Prospectus. I don't take a lot of stock in PECOTA--people like to reference how it picked all the playoff teams correctly last year, but it has been really off in the past. I mean, if you agree with PECOTA that Mike Leake will lead the team's pitchers in WAR and that Carlos Martinez will have a 4.20 ERA then that prediction is probably pretty good.

Ironically, despite being so down on the Cards, Baseball Prospectus also had Alex Reyes ranked as the #1 prospect in baseball, full stop, ahead of Benintendi/Moncada/Swanson, which is pretty insane to me. But maybe PECOTA really is clairvoyant and actually knew Reyes was going to be out this season.:laugh:

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016

The Cardinals spent the second most in FA this offseason and you're going to complain that they didn't do enough? The FA market this year sucked--it was the worst in years.

Encarnacion would have been a terrible addition at the salary that he commanded. He would've been a very marginal upgrade when you consider that he is terrible at 1st, and that moving Carpenter back to 3rd would have further hurt the team's defense. His numbers dropped last year, and particularly concerning, his K rate went up significantly.

There was legitimately nothing the Cards could do to close the gap on the Cubs this offseason. They could have traded the entire farm system, including Reyes, to get a guy like Eaton, and still wouldn't have caught up. That's how big the gap is.

I'm sure there will be complaints next year but the FA market is going to suck next year as well. Maybe Machado doesn't sign an extension and the Cards can throw $400M at him in two years and that will make people happy. I mean we can always dream big--maybe Tavares will hit FA and the Blues will sign him for $10M, right?:laugh:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Apparently Wacha has looked good in ST. He could actually be a difference maker in the rotation. People forget how good he was.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Apparently Wacha has looked good in ST. He could actually be a difference maker in the rotation. People forget how good he was.

Is he the leader for the 5th spot in the rotation now? I know the cardinals were pretty set on limiting his innings this year out of the bullpen before Reyes went down. I wouldn't mind seeing Weaver get a chance full time.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
Wacha is most likely the leading candidate as of now, I'm sure Weaver and Gonzales will get long looks as well, we will see what happens this spring

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
I have 2 fire sticks and 2 fire tv boxes. they are great devices. i am still surprised they dont have a official NHL.tv app for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad