OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don’t mean to get into the political messaging, but unfortunately that’s what has happened with this virus. Western media have used it to attack China. Left and right are using it as an instrument toward this year’s election. And social media messaging has added it’s weird colored distortion lens. There are those who benefit from trying to rattle economic markets in different areas. It’s easy to find reports that have ulterior motives besides conveying facts. (I’m trying to be kind of generic here, and not picking sides politically,)

Several prominent health officials, including the president of the World Health Organization have urged for rational responses and for the world community to turn to fact-based sources.

I’m not minimizing anyone’s suffering. All potentially life-threatening infections are scary. And none of the numbers matter, it could be 1 in a billion, if you’re the ‘one’.

But I just spent the morning looking over the data for new cases in Wuhan province. It’s going down quite a bit (between 200-300 new cases daily). The population of that province is nearly 59 million.

I’m sure we’ll see spread through other communities. Common sense prevention is always a good idea. Work on a vaccine is reportedly making progress. But if someone skipped the flu vaccine, why is that same person going to have a different attitude about the Covid-19 vaccine? We’re talking about processes that are a lot more similar than dissimilar. If the main difference is in the level of fear, then fight the fear with accurate information. Go to the CDC website, for example.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

I’ll shut up now, sorry.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don’t mean to get into the political messaging, but unfortunately that’s what has happened with this virus. Western media have used it to attack China. Left and right are using it as an instrument toward this year’s election. And social media messaging has added it’s weird colored distortion lens. There are those who benefit from trying to rattle economic markets in different areas. It’s easy to find reports that have ulterior motives besides conveying facts. (I’m trying to be kind of generic here, and not picking sides politically,)

Several prominent health officials, including the president of the World Health Organization have urged for rational responses and for the world community to turn to fact-based sources.

I’m not minimizing anyone’s suffering. All potentially life-threatening infections are scary. And none of the numbers matter, it could be 1 in a billion, if you’re the ‘one’.

But I just spent the morning looking over the data for new cases in Wuhan province. It’s going down quite a bit (between 200-300 new cases daily). The population of that province is nearly 59 million.

I’m sure we’ll see spread through other communities. Common sense prevention is always a good idea. Work on a vaccine is reportedly making progress. But if someone skipped the flu vaccine, why is that same person going to have a different attitude about the Covid-19 vaccine? We’re talking about processes that are a lot more similar than dissimilar. If the main difference is in the level of fear, then fight the fear with accurate information. Go to the CDC website, for example.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

I’ll shut up now, sorry.

Well not even about politics, but ever since the news became about ratings and not just presenting the information, they all seem incentivized to sensationalize the news. It's dangerous when it's done on a topic that requires quite a bit of expertise to really have an understanding of what is happening.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Sorry to continue this topic. Like many other western countries like USA has take preactive perspective for this virus, than what should do, practive for it and trying to delay spreading. So peak could be around ~3 month from now. At summer.

All I can say is I admire Chinese people trying to do everything not to spread it that fast and delay. Shame that our countries hasn't take a note for it.

108 infected in USA and 8 death.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Like few european countries has postponed ice hockey games (or generally big events where is many ppl) or they play empty seats.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Like few european countries has postponed ice hockey games (or generally big events where is many ppl) or they play empty seats.

I think it's definitely possible while the initial wave of cases continues to rise here in North America we will see games played in empty arenas, or worst case postponed as all levels of governments and health authorities try to get on top of it. The Santa Clara county government and officials are already asking large events including Sharks games to be cancelled, their game tonight is being played but it remains to be seen about upcoming games.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I saw on the news this morning that there are a little over 500 COVID-19 cases reported in the US with 22 deaths. What gets lost in the fine print, though, is that 16 of those 22 deaths happened at a nursing home in Washington and that the average age of all of fatalities in the US from this virus was 80. 80.

I'm curious as to why it seems that no news organization is taking the time to compare the reach and impact of this virus to the same data on the normal influenza strains. It seems like both the number of infections and the number of fatalities are probably 100 times greater for "the flu" but that isn't sensational enough for news coverage.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I saw on the news this morning that there are a little over 500 COVID-19 cases reported in the US with 22 deaths. What gets lost in the fine print, though, is that 16 of those 22 deaths happened at a nursing home in Washington and that the average age of all of fatalities in the US from this virus was 80. 80.

I'm curious as to why it seems that no news organization is taking the time to compare the reach and impact of this virus to the same data on the normal influenza strains. It seems like both the number of infections and the number of fatalities are probably 100 times greater for "the flu" but that isn't sensational enough for news coverage.
News organizations have become driven by ratings and not just simply the news. There are plenty of credible and reliable places to get information, but the problem is that the masses rely on the quick/easy/traditional sources, and those aren't about providing the full context of the news.

It's like the car accident phenomenon. When you are driving down a road, you will naturally slow down, and look over at an accident, which makes you lose focus on your own driving, and you end up doing something reckless. That's the reason why bad news sells because it gets our attention. Good news won't keep your attention as well through commercial breaks.

Reactions: MissouriMook

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Do yourself a favor and don't check your 401K today. I may not retire until I'm 85. All kidding aside, I wish I would have shorted the stock market about 2 weeks ago

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Do yourself a favor and don't check your 401K today. I may not retire until I'm 85. All kidding aside, I wish I would have shorted the stock market about 2 weeks ago
It will all recover soon enough. Some of the reaction is reasonable, but some of it isn't. Good time to buy and invest for people that have the available funds.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
It is just awful, isn't it. Now I may have to settle for the 140 foot yacht for my retirement instead of the 200 footer.

Reactions: mk80

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Italy's options are quite limited now and USA has been ignorant for testing and quarantine. Not proactive at all.

Italians who attempt to flee the lockdown in the country's north, set up to try and stop the spread of the novel coronavirus, may face three months' imprisonment, Italy's interior minister has said.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It's definitely a positive that the situation in S. Korea, and by appearances to some degree China if one fully believes their numbers, that the spread is plateauing or slowing. I think once the rising first wave we're are seeing now peaks, we'll see the same thing. The virus is going to be around long term, I don't think we're going to get rid of it, at least not for a long time, but I'm confident after the initial wave it will at least slow to a much more manageable trickle.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's definitely a positive that the situation in S. Korea, and by appearances to some degree China if one fully believes their numbers, that the spread is plateauing or slowing. I think once the rising first wave we're are seeing now peaks, we'll see the same thing. The virus is going to be around long term, I don't think we're going to get rid of it, at least not for a long time, but I'm confident after the initial wave it will at least slow to a much more manageable trickle.
Yeah, I think it just shows how much we don't know about it, so it's irresponsible to make big projections with it. We'll have to see what the data looks like as it progresses.

Reactions: mk80

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Yeah, I think it just shows how much we don't know about it, so it's irresponsible to make big projections with it. We'll have to see what the data looks like as it progresses.

We know it spreads quickly. Italy went from 500 cases to over 10,000 inside of a few weeks. The same thing happened in China. The reason why it *isn’t* happening in South Korea, is because they have free and widely available testing, and a good safety net for managing the spread of disease, and a robust infrastructure for implementing it. The US won’t even acknowledge that it’s a problem, let alone make testing available.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't know data about USA. South-Korea has tested 140 000 people and has 0.6-0.7% of mortality rate. They have do especially great work test people who might have get infected. Italy didn't test and were ignorant for virus like USA. There is difference why South-Korea has managed to slow it down vs. Italy who has shutdown whole country.

This guy has facts base on info about this virus and has long ground for working this area.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I think like it or not we’re getting closer to games without fans league wide for sure, but I think sadly cancellation of games altogether and the season ending without a cup winner. This first wave is hitting harder than a lot of countries expected.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I think like it or not we’re getting closer to games without fans league wide for sure, but I think sadly cancellation of games altogether and the season ending without a cup winner. This first wave is hitting harder than a lot of countries expected.
I don't see that happening, the NHL should quarantine players in order to keep them from catching it. Teams already use charter flights, so I think it wouldn't be too much of a stretch from what normally occurs to keep players essentially a bubble in order to continue and ultimately finish out season and playoffs

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If you read the article that he linked it states that the outbreak has significantly decreased at ground zero, and the "swine flu" from a decade ago was worse than the coronavirus.
I hope you have opened your eyes.

Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->