OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I can't believe I am going to weigh in again, especially where this has devolved into since this comment.... As a point of fact, the legal system does an especially inadequate job with domestic abuse and sexual assault. Much of the forensic evidence present in an assault can also be present in a rough but consensual encounter. Or in an abuse case, any physical marks cannot definitively be linked to the accused. Too often it is a he said, she said issue. Too often the abuser has more money and power, making it difficult for the abused to get a fair trial in a system that depends more on skilled representation than facts. That is not my opinion as a layman, but something I have heard from people who work in the legal system on those types of cases.

Fair enough. Re-reading what you wrote, you do say that. I misread your point.
I generally agree, I probably should have said criminal justice system as opposed to just the legal system. I do think you underestimate the impact of reporting incidents to the police as they occur can have on the way this stuff plays out later in court. Are there reasons people are afraid to go to the police? Absolutely, like in this case, neither party wants this to end up in the news.

But also remember, this is a defamation case. It's a defamation case about domestic violence, but they aren't the same.

#MeToo Cases’ New Legal Battleground: Defamation Lawsuits

But my original point was that this is all PR/lawyer spin in a messy case with tens of millions on the line, and you should treat these "leaks" with some level of skepticism. How come the only places willing to publish the tape are celebrity gossip sites? Because legit news sources don't want egg on their face when the next piece of evidence that leaks contradicts this one.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I just the Chiefs are selling seats from their stadium right now and the most expensive pair you can get is a little over $500. Weren't the Blues selling theirs after the Stanley Cup for like over $1000 or something ridiculous like that?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I just the Chiefs are selling seats from their stadium right now and the most expensive pair you can get is a little over $500. Weren't the Blues selling theirs after the Stanley Cup for like over $1000 or something ridiculous like that?
But are Chiefs purple and cushioned?

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
So they have their first confirmed case of coronavirus in my tiny little state today. Stay safe everyone.
As a concerned health care provider, I wish many people were as concerned about influenza as they are about the Covid-19. The number of deaths from influenza dwarfs Coronavirus. Many people who ignore the opportunity to get an influenza vaccine are out buying masks (not terribly helpful) and hand sanitizer (a better idea) worrying about something that isn’t even present in their community right now. The CDC estimates between 18,000-46,000 flu deaths for this flu season in the USA alone.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
As a concerned health care provider, I wish many people were as concerned about influenza as they are about the Covid-19. The number of deaths from influenza dwarfs Coronavirus. Many people who ignore the opportunity to get an influenza vaccine are out buying masks (not terribly helpful) and hand sanitizer (a better idea) worrying about something that isn’t even present in their community right now. The CDC estimates between 18,000-46,000 flu deaths for this flu season in the USA alone.
I too am a healthcare provider and I agree. I guess one difference is that there is no vaccine for COVID19. Also there are no antivirals shown to be beneficial. Furthermore it’s completely new and not well studied so the void of good data scares people. We’ve all seen global pandemic shows/movies and the media portrays it like the start of one. It’s probably not going to be that terrible. But it’s scary nonetheless. I work in the major hospital for our state. I can almost guarantee that patient is at my hospital now. It suddenly feels real.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
https://www.realclearscience.com/bl..._to_panic_about_the_covid-19_coronavirus.html

For anyone interested, here is a short synopsis of some facts written for the lay public to put things into a perspective less dramatic than some less factual sources I’ve come across.
Like @brokeu91 said we should be carefull speaking what we dont know yet. We're just early state of pandemic. What I can say about from our health care we werent prepared and we are short of money what comes to nurses safe gears and limited space who need critical trearment. We've almost full rooms of patients. Add there critically ill covid-19 patients and we've real problems.

I throw wild predict that we might see affect on NHL too. So even this season playes could play empty seats.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, they level of fear-mongering by the media and others can't be helpful. Covid-19 isn't nothing, but like you said, we don't make a big deal about the flu, and every year it has a pretty sizable death count.

Reactions: Blueston

mike1320

Like @brokeu91 said we should be carefull speaking what we dont know yet. We're just early state of pandemic. What I can say about from our health care we werent prepared and we are short of money what comes to nurses safe gears and limited space who need critical trearment. We've almost full rooms of patients. Add there critically ill covid-19 patients and we've real problems.

I throw wild predict that we might see affect on NHL too. So even this season playes could play empty seats.
If you read the article that he linked it states that the outbreak has significantly decreased at ground zero, and the "swine flu" from a decade ago was worse than the coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->