Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It was his first season playing short stop professionally. He has the tools necessary to be a great defensive short stop or if all else fails put him back at 3B. Either way he would help the team tremendously on both sides.
He's played about 200 games at SS in his career. He's been a bad defensive shortstop in all of them

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
true but so is losing 5/6 and losing a 1.5 lead on a playoff spot.

our gm is a joke.
What control over the last 6 games of a season does a GM have? You can criticize the front office for plenty, but of the Cards had made it to the postseason everyone would be saying Mo did a good job for revamping the bullpen mid season.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I mean, yeah, I know, I was being a bit glib, but to make it out like this is his first time ever playing shortstop is wrong.
You're right. He played it in the minors and was very successful. He only started at third because they had JJ Hardy. He plays a handful of years at 3B as one of the game's very best defensive players and then transitions in a free agency year to short stop and struggles. He still has elite hands, beyond elite arm, and his body control is as good as anyone that's ever played the game. He has the tools to play shortstop at an elite level. His range isn't great, but you can be a plus defender without spectacular range. And again, if it doesn't work out you always have the fall back option of having "only" the best defensive 3B in the world rather than a great defensive SS. He hits well enough that he'd be a tremendous upgrade at either position.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
You're right. He played it in the minors and was very successful. He only started at third because they had JJ Hardy. He plays a handful of years at 3B as one of the game's very best defensive players and then transitions in a free agency year to short stop and struggles. He still has elite hands, beyond elite arm, and his body control is as good as anyone that's ever played the game. He has the tools to play shortstop at an elite level. His range isn't great, but you can be a plus defender without spectacular range. And again, if it doesn't work out you always have the fall back option of having "only" the best defensive 3B in the world rather than a great defensive SS. He hits well enough that he'd be a tremendous upgrade at either position.
He wasn't a good defensive SS when he's played it in years past either. I think just counting on him to be a good defensive SS is completely antithetical to what he has shown himself to be.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Matt Chapman has a pretty firm grip on best defensive third basemen. But your overall point is very valid.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
OT from OT.

Gravity. Why does it exist? In other words, why are two masses attracted?

I got banded from a science forum for this question. I didn't want to post science questions on my regular hockey forum for fear of ridicule. But the PhDs got mad that they didn't have the answers. I was just asking. I'm a maintenance technician. I was having problems understanding why mass has any impact on spacetime. The pool balls on a tablecloth thing I can see, but it still makes no sense IMO. Why would two masses in a universal vacuum, want to come together. What is this force? Yes, gravity. Why though? Anyway, the PhDs said there was no point in asking questions that had no answer. I was ridiculed until I called someone myopic. That got me banned! I was so mad, I posted the exact same question on my local forum and went to sleep not caring about the shame that came with the next mornings beatings. The response was incredible though. People breaking down the Theory of Relatively and talking about space. It was refreshing. I was appreciative.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
OT from OT.

Gravity. Why does it exist? In other words, why are two masses attracted?

I got banded from a science forum for this question. I didn't want to post science questions on my regular hockey forum for fear of ridicule. But the PhDs got mad that they didn't have the answers. I was just asking. I'm a maintenance technician. I was having problems understanding why mass has any impact on spacetime. The pool balls on a tablecloth thing I can see, but it still makes no sense IMO. Why would two masses in a universal vacuum, want to come together. What is this force? Yes, gravity. Why though? Anyway, the PhDs said there was no point in asking questions that had no answer. I was ridiculed until I called someone myopic. That got me banned! I was so mad, I posted the exact same question on my local forum and went to sleep not caring about the shame that came with the next mornings beatings. The response was incredible though. People breaking down the Theory of Relatively and talking about space. It was refreshing. I was appreciative.
There are a number of forces that act to bring masses together (nuclear forces, electromagnetic forces, gravity, etc.), so in a sense the question "Why are two masses attracted?" is too broad to answer satisfactorily or simply in that form.

I believe what you're really interested in is an explanation for the Theory of General Relativity, or more specifically, an explanation of the space-time continuum, how masses interact with/warp said continuum, and how other objects travelling through the continuum are subsequently influenced by those changes. That represents our best understanding of the mechanics behind what we've experimentally observed.

There's no chance I could explain it better than someone with an advanced degree in the field, so I'm not even going to attempt it, but that should help guide your path, I think.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
There are a number of forces that act to bring masses together (nuclear forces, electromagnetic forces, gravity, etc.), so in a sense the question "Why are two masses attracted?" is too broad to answer satisfactorily or simply in that form.

I believe what you're really interested in is an explanation for the Theory of General Relativity, or more specifically, an explanation of the space-time continuum, how masses interact with/warp said continuum, and how other objects travelling through the continuum are subsequently influenced by those changes. That represents our best understanding of the mechanics behind what we've experimentally observed.

There's no chance I could explain it better than someone with an advanced degree in the field, so I'm not even going to attempt it, but that should help guide your path, I think.

Wow.
Ok. You're cool.

Thought you were pretentious at first.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
I just saw my post count and realized that I have never made that many posts on any forum. I’m old school, all of my posts used to be by computer and that is still my preferred platform!! But, part of it is that I’m by nature more of a lurker, that sees and agrees with things posted by others. HFboards has engaged me more than most forums. The quality of discussion is better than most forums. Though I must say, I have received more trolling warnings than any where else, lol!!!

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I just saw my post count and realized that I have never made that many posts on any forum. I’m old school, all of my posts used to be by computer and that is still my preferred platform!! But, part of it is that I’m by nature more of a lurker, that sees and agrees with things posted by others. HFboards has engaged me more than most forums. The quality of discussion is better than most forums. Though I must say, I have received more trolling warnings than any where else, lol!!!
Same I never have been a frequent poster but here I have lots to say and express. The GDTs also help out and the fact that I am most passionate about hockey.

This is post 3001!

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Machado is a bad defensive shortstop

This is my concern too. Paul DeJong was one of the top 5 starting SS's in all of baseball defensively. He's a very good SS.

Manny Machado was worth a -10 defensive runs saved at SS this year. His range just isn't that great and it's obvious when you watch him. His skill set works great at 3B and the defensive metrics show it.

I love the idea of Machado at 3B for the Cardinals for the next 8+ years. I don't like the idea of Machado at SS and DeJong at 3B. That's the opposite of maximizing talent and value.

Reactions: bluesfan94

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

So MLS stadium will be privately funded. This is a big step and change from last year. Kind of makes me think the Taylors and Kavanaughs were waiting on an investment to come through to help remove that burden on them. So they can ponying up the dough for the new stadium. I wonder if that new Blues TV deal that has been kept hush hush is contributing to that financial relief.

Regardless, I hope STL does get an MLS team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->