Blues Flex Muscle Against New Look Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
(AP) Chicago: In what could be a playoff preview between division-rivals, the struggling St. Louis Blues may have emerged from their funk with a resounding 9-2 win over the new look Chicago Blackhawks on Monday evening.

It was the first game for the Blackhawks since making a major trade involving the arrival of Dwayne Roloson, Cliff Ronning, Shawn Bates and Sergei Zubov, all of whom played for their first time in a Chicago uniform.

It was a rather auspicious debut, to put it mildly.

Roloson was chased in the 2nd period after giving up his 5th goal on his 26th shot, although he can’t be blamed for the majority of the goals. Ronning and Bates were each -2, while Zubov was even. All three were held off the score sheet.

By late in the second period when Roloson was chased from the game, a rain of boos became a consistent chorus for the remainder of the game.

All four player might have been affected by the fact their equipment didn’t arrive until a few minutes before the game.

“It was the type of physical playoff hockey we’re going to focus on in the 2nd half.†Said Blues coach Marc Crawford. “It’s amazing how when you take the body, more offensive opportunities come hand-in-hand. It seems some of our preaching might have finally made it throughâ€

The Blues out-hit and out-shot the Hawks, 29-11 and 41-17, respectively.

The Top Hat line of Dany Heatley (2-1-3), Joe Thornton (2-3-5) and Daniel Alfredsson (1-3-4) combined for 12 points and were each +5.

“It was one of those nights where we worked hard and we were rewarded with the bounces going our wayâ€, said Alfredsson. “Clearly they (Chicago) will go through a transition phase of figuring out their lines, much like we did over the last 20 games.â€

“My bet is we’ll see a different game from them the next time we play.â€

Chicago was in first place in the Conference, but with the loss, dropped into a tie with the scorching Columbus Blue Jackets, winners of 12 in a row.

The Blues, tied with rival Detroit Red Wings for 6th in the conference, now have two solid wins in a row, but have still only four wins in their last ten games. They hope to continue their solid play as they host the Florida Panthers tonight, who are coming off a 8-2 win over the Dallas Stars.

The game will be shown on FSN Midwest and KPLR WB 11.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Dryden said:
bah...damm auto lines...better luck next time....but you've always had my number anyhow

Well, most other division rivals seem to have mine, so it's nice to have one key match-up where I fair better than the other guy. That is until you figure out your lines of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad