News: Blues do not extend QO to Nail Yakupov

tylerjohnson2626

Jun 6, 2016
Victoria, BC
Rick Dhaliwal (Trusted VAN source from News 1130) tweeted this morning say the agent is receiving calls for him today (there are a few) but Canucks haven't called yet.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
LOL... :laugh:

I'll tell you "who couldn't". 90% of the league that have stone hands and plodding speed. Yak has elite speed, an elite shot and elite hand/eye. Get him in the right situation and HF boards will then go into the denial phase... "well, no one could have seen this happening".

you've used the word elite in regards to Yak more in one sentence than I've heard in the last 3 years.

sorry. even if he was elite in all those things, it will take more than the "right situation" for him to tear up the league.

Like others have said. he's a nice guy, and I think he does have heart.
he's a player though where anything you say about him is followed by a "but..."

let's say he does find the right situation. I have a hard time believing he could ever be more than a 15-20 goal scorer at the very most.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL

I'll tell you "who couldn't". 90% of the league that have stone hands and plodding speed. Yak has elite speed, an elite shot and elite hand/eye. Get him in the right situation and HF boards will then go into the denial phase... "well, no one could have seen this happening".

No, Yak has elite speed and that's it. Everything else is below average

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Needs to go to a team like NYR, Pitt, Chicago, Minn, maybe even NSH or Carolina.

Team that plays a free flowing speed game offensively, can give him a chance to use his creativity without the restraints of "the system." I think STL was too much of a structured hard and heavy team for him.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

so yakupov has hand that are better than 90% ofthe league ? The pens showed you dont have to have soft mitts to put up points when you are the third wheel with a good/great center and winger duo.

Rememeber all those threads that said " just let him ride mcdavids coat-tails and he will put up points"? Lets ignore ( again) for the moment that he never showed ANYTHING that said he deserved first line minutes, but having an elite shooter with elite speed and elite hand eye who has to be babysat EVERY FREAKING SECOND while he is on the ice to be spoon fed points, is not the asset you seem to be implying. Lots of untalented players would do as well ( and not be black hole defensively) under the same circumstances.

If he has all of these elite skills, its too bad they are in the same vessel as the kids brain which prevents him from ever using them. At all.

Get him in the right situation ?????? where have I heard this before ? oh that's right every year after this rookie season. Good times good times. when he sucks out loud, again, demand that he be given the ice time he can't earn.

at least you didnt go for the daily double and imply that its still somehow all dallas eakins fault. nice example of restraint.

Stick a fork in him, he's done. Not good enough for top 6, can't play bottom six in the nhl.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I'd like to see if in Ottawa Boucher could grind him down to playing a team system and being responsible defensively. If our owner would allow us to bury him in the minors if it doesn't work out. As someone else said, there's the but....

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Needs to go to a team like NYR, Pitt, Chicago, Minn, maybe even NSH or Carolina.

Team that plays a free flowing speed game offensively, can give him a chance to use his creativity without the restraints of "the system." I think STL was too much of a structured hard and heavy team for him.

I wonder if Columbus would give him a shot. Their reclamation project from last year (Gagner) likely priced himself out of their plans. Wonder if they would try to catch lightning in a bottle twice.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Carolina's style of play doesn't fit what you say Yak needs.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

He has five seasons under his belt. Two teams. Averaging over 14 minutes a game. The feeling is that if he had ELITE (<- keyword) speed/shot/hand-eye coordination, by now he should have more than a high of 33 points in his career.

This is not a case of hfboards not seeing something that you see, but also two teams in the NHL. Yakupov is one hell of a long shot. But if he accepts minimum or close to minimum $$$, I think it would be worth a shot, for one year.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Daigle, although he didn't live up to draft hype, was still a .5ppg NHL'er. I even forget that on those early Wild teams he was their leading scorer.

Yakupov wishes he could be a 30-40 point guy in this league :laugh:

True. He had three 50+ points seasons. Yakupov would jump up and down in joy if he could do that.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
True. He had three 50+ points seasons. Yakupov would jump up and down in joy if he could do that.

Different NHL back then. One of the seasons Daigle had 50+ pts Gretzky led the NHL with 130, another season Lemieux led with 122.

Daigle was meant to be a generational player that would put the Sens on his back and pull them from the basement. Unfair expectations however the cheques were always chased.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I'd like to see if in Ottawa Boucher could grind him down to playing a team system and being responsible defensively. If our owner would allow us to bury him in the minors if it doesn't work out. As someone else said, there's the but....

We tried that in STL. Safe to say it didn't work to well. If we can get him two-way I'd love to keep him and give him more time within the system just to see. But don't expect him to jump right in and learn something especially if you are a playoff team who can't sit around and wait for him to play out his learning curve.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Carolina's style of play doesn't fit what you say Yak needs.

Agree, I threw them in there because of their dire need for some top 6 skill and scoring. Should've made that distinction in my post.

I wonder if Columbus would give him a shot. Their reclamation project from last year (Gagner) likely priced himself out of their plans. Wonder if they would try to catch lightning in a bottle twice.

It's an interesting idea. I never would've thought Torts would be able to deal with finesse guys like Gagner and now a guy like Panarin that they brought in and Kovalchuk who they're supposedly going after. Seems counter to everything he preaches - defense, structure, physicality, shot blocking, intensity, work ethic, etc.

But as you said it worked with Gagner, maybe lightning strikes twice. Might be worth a shot for them.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
My take after watching him last season with my Blues.

Hitch put him in positions where he was mostly with our grinders, had no PP time and very little chance to succeed at what he does best.

If a team wants to utilize his strengths, and not attempt to correct his weaknesses, but instead, put him in a place to use his strengths, he could potentially have a breakout season.

The problem is, which NHL team wants to put a guy like Yakupov on their top line and on their powerplay and give him a long enough trial there, and keep him there even when he makes mistakes, until he gets rolling and feels comfortable?

None that I can think of. Certainly not a playoff team.

He would fit best for a team like Vegas, playing on a scoring line with Shipachyov.

But where he really should be playing is a place he doesnt want to play. The AHL.

On a top line, with top minutes, playing on the top PP unit, in a scoring role. Buildup confidence, show he can be a goal scorer, consistently for several months.

If that happens, I think he could come back to the NHL and get a shot in a scoring role, and have the confidence to make it happen.

Without that happening, I think some team will give him a shot, put him in a similar role to what the Blues tried with him last year, and be disappointed when he fails.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i have always liked yakupov and hope he finds a spot that works for him. he was always a good dude.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
You may want to watch him before the offense killing Hitch got a hold of him. Take a good long look at his quick hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzHaCWGparw

Lol did you even watch this video?

Literally one goal on there shows above average puck-handling. The one at around 6:30 against Anaheim.

Every other goal is a shot from around the hash marks. Most of them are either rebounds into wide open nets or plays where he gets feeds from others players like Hall or Perron who were doing the dirty work.

The commentary is also fun, because there are multiple instances of the announcers talking about how he was a healthy scratch the game before, or discussing his weaknesses in other areas of the game, etc.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
But where he really should be playing is a place he doesnt want to play. The AHL.

On a top line, with top minutes, playing on the top PP unit, in a scoring role. Buildup confidence, show he can be a goal scorer, consistently for several months.

If that happens, I think he could come back to the NHL and get a shot in a scoring role, and have the confidence to make it happen.

Without that happening, I think some team will give him a shot, put him in a similar role to what the Blues tried with him last year, and be disappointed when he fails.

I think this is the case. Why Edmonton didn't send him to the minors when he struggled under Eakins is beyond me. He clearly needed it. It would have been nice if the Blues could have sent him to the Wolves and given him prime playing time and extensive instruction from Berube, but he probably wouldn't have cleared waivers had they tried.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->