News: Blues do not extend QO to Nail Yakupov

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Has all the tools but has no heart. He needs to head back to Europe to salvage his career. Then if he wants to come back then try it.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Provorov has great hockey sense but he's what, 19/20 years old? Plus he's a defenseman. I fail to see the connection.

More so helping get him focused, get him on a training regime like Ivan is, and having a fellow young Russian helping him out. Provorov may be young but he really is a mature person. Flyers are a young team, with a coaching staff focused on youth development. It "Could" be the right opportunity for him to make the adjustment before he falls into the netherworld.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Has all the tools but has no heart. He needs to head back to Europe to salvage his career. Then if he wants to come back then try it.

wrong organ, the kid plays hard he does have a heart. The problem is that he has no brain for the game.

He's not the tinman, he's the scarecrow.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
wrong organ, the kid plays hard he does have a heart. The problem is that he has no brain for the game.

He's not the tinman, he's the scarecrow.

And his tools are vastly overrated. People on here love to rave about his shot, but his shot sucks.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Wouldn't be shocked if Hawks talk to him

They did have interest in him last summer around draft if my memory is correct

Saad-Toews-Yakupov
Schmaltz-Anisimov-Kane
Hartman-Kero-Panik

Saad and Toews can cover for his defensive lapses

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
More so helping get him focused, get him on a training regime like Ivan is, and having a fellow young Russian helping him out. Provorov may be young but he really is a mature person. Flyers are a young team, with a coaching staff focused on youth development. It "Could" be the right opportunity for him to make the adjustment before he falls into the netherworld.

I'd invite him to a tryout, but he wouldnt get a contract before he showed he was ready to play. He'd also have to settle for a two way, if i were the Flyers GM.

There's just no way I'd be comfortable taking a spot from Linblom/Konecny etc all before i see what hes willing to put in this summer to make things work at the NHL level.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
At 650k for 1 year, I think pretty much the majority of teams - excepted Edmonton and St Louis - would give him a chance. I wouldn't be opposed as a Bruins fan, if my team got him.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Please, no Yakupov. He has a major issue, an incurable one: total lack of hockey IQ. I don't think his work ethic has ever been questioned. So a different training regime won't help. I spoke with him after a game once; he's the sweetest kid. But on the ice, he is also the dumbest. I would love to hire him as a babysitter, I just don't want him on my hockey team.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Let Ivan Provorov train him in Philly and I bet this kid starts positively progressing.
Lol, I love Provorov - but he's like the new Yoda of the NHL. Sadly, in Yakupov's case, even the Jedi Master will not help.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I truly hope that Yak goes to the right team, tears it up and makes a fool out of all of the "experts" that claim he has a "poor IQ"

you might as well wish for a pony while you are at it.

And no one ( to the best of my knowledge) questioned his IQ, he could be in mensa for all I know. But his hockey IQ which should drive his decisions of where to be on the ice with and without the puck, is lacking ( and that's being crazy generous). And its not getting any better.

Could te turn it around playing all over the place with a great center and another good winger ? Sure. But who couldn't ?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
you might as well wish for a pony while you are at it.

And no one ( to the best of my knowledge) questioned his IQ, he could be in mensa for all I know. But his hockey IQ which should drive his decisions of where to be on the ice with and without the puck, is lacking ( and that's being crazy generous). And its not getting any better.

Could te turn it around playing all over the place with a great center and another good winger ? Sure. But who couldn't ?

LOL... :laugh:

I'll tell you "who couldn't". 90% of the league that have stone hands and plodding speed. Yak has elite speed, an elite shot and elite hand/eye. Get him in the right situation and HF boards will then go into the denial phase... "well, no one could have seen this happening".

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
1 year @ 1M to the Burgh, they have a pretty good track record when it comes to rehabbing underperformers.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
LOL... :laugh:

I'll tell you "who couldn't". 90% of the league that have stone hands and plodding speed. Yak has elite speed, an elite shot and elite hand/eye. Get him in the right situation and HF boards will then go into the denial phase... "well, no one could have seen this happening".

He really doesn't have an elite shot. He has hard slap and wrist shots, but his release is not especially quick and his accuracy is all over the place.

He does have incredibly quick hands with good hand-eye, though. It always seemed to me that if he could successfully remodel his game, it might be as a net-front guy who can pounce on rebounds.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Can't decide if he is more or less of a bust than Daigle was.

It's close.

Daigle, although he didn't live up to draft hype, was still a .5ppg NHL'er. I even forget that on those early Wild teams he was their leading scorer.

Yakupov wishes he could be a 30-40 point guy in this league :laugh:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
There are plenty of GMs and coaches around the league convinced of their own talent. They'll figure that they alone can 'unlock' the talent in Yakupov.

He'll get a contract somewhere. It won't be for a ton of money, but it won't be league minimum, and it won't be two-way. Maybe one year at 1.5 mil?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad