Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I don’t see Bozak playing 4th line minutes making 5 million per season. Bozak changed his number to 21 out of respect for Backes according to an article. That doesn’t make any sense to me but ok. (Maybe he’s really trolling Berglund haha)

It’s so impossible to setup the lines.

I’m still expecting Fabbri on the 4th line to start the season. I won’t be surprised if Thomas starts out centering the 4th line.

If they sign Maroon:

Steen ROR Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Kyrou
Maroon Bozak Perron
Fabbri Thomas (Barbashev/ Jaskin)
In this combo I would consider the Thomas line the third line lol!

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
In this combo I would consider the Thomas line the third line lol!

I get it with the potential talent level but I fully expect Fabbri’s minutes limited. Thomas starting 4th line allows him to get his feet wet at center in the NHL. Kyrou doesn’t have as much responsibility playing RW and less of a learning curve than playing center. Schenn and Schwartz are both very good at back checking to help cover some for Kyrou.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
How are people saying Maroon doesn’t make us better? On the 4th-line over Soshnikov or Jaskin? Yes he would clearly be better than them.

I’d be fine with that signing.

Its so simple Dr. Seuss explained it in his little known book "The Most Awfulest Hockey player"...ahem....

He's sucks at hockey on the ice...
Sucks so bad I'll say it twice,
He cannot play at the rink
he makes the whole arena stink
He has no clue where he should be,
When in the zone thats meant for D
People like him for his size,
like big dumb slow is a prize
On his stick the puck won't stay
likewise Blues should stay away
Scored some points on McD's wing
Too much money that will bring
My bestest wish for Pat Maroon
Is some other team will sign him soon.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Its so simple Dr. Seuss explained it in his little known book "The Most Awfulest Hockey player"...ahem....

That rivals Dr. Seuss for sure. I still think maroon would bring something our team will be missing next year though. I don't want Schenn and Eddy to be the only guys that are rough and tumble.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Plus if we sign Maroon we could have more options of moving out players for futures. Jaskin, Blais, Barbashev.... etc. For long term team building purposes getting another 2nd next year would help. But, who really cares about the long term cause this team can win NOW! :)

LGB Baby!

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Plus if we sign Maroon we could have more options of moving out players for futures. Jaskin, Blais, Barbashev.... etc. For long term team building purposes getting another 2nd next year would help. But, who really cares about the long term cause this team can win NOW! :)

LGB Baby!
Jaskin, Blais and Barbashev doesn't give us any good return to move them. Its guys like Jbo/Gunnar and possible next year Steen. But like you said we're all-in so moving depth players for future isn't right direction anymore. Only if we can upgrade some position what is needed. Like nowadays our 4th line center is our weakest link. I don't view goaltending as problem before we know where Allens stands + can Husso really take step in NHL level and compete vs. Allen #1 spot.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

“He suckssss he can only play with McDavid!!!1”

That argument has already been proven wrong and also doesn’t make any sense because if a player was truly shitty they still wouldn’t produce even with McDavid but yeah sure whatever makes you feel better.

Maroon adds a missing element and probably makes us the deepest team in the league up front.

As for where the money comes from, trade Gunnarsson. Voila! Then we wouldn’t need to give up assets for anyone at the deadline like Alklha said.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
“He suckssss he can only play with McDavid!!!1”

That argument has already been proven wrong and also doesn’t make any sense because if a player was truly ****ty they still wouldn’t produce even with McDavid but yeah sure whatever makes you feel better.

Maroon adds a missing element and probably makes us the deepest team in the league up front.

As for where the money comes from, trade Gunnarsson. Voila! Then we wouldn’t need to give up assets for anyone at the deadline like Alklha said.

Well I would present you with the stats that say he sucks but iirc you don't believe in them. Blanket assertions are more your thing. But mine are better because they rhyme. :sarcasm:

Why make a deadline deal now? The point of a deadline deal is to see what good player busts loose, get him for less cap implications, and fill holes that pop up. So we trade Gunnerson and sign a forward. Ok, then Sanford, Kyrou, Barbashev and Thomas all make a case for being NHL ready, while Dunn regresses and Boumeester gets hurt. We have a f*** ton of forwards and no D. Better to wait and see how our roster looks than make a move because some crappy ass hockey player was born in StL and is big.

Rattie was on a higher ppg pace than Maroon playing with McDavid. Case closed on your argument that you have to be good to suceed with him.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well I would present you with the stats that say he sucks but iirc you don't believe in them. Blanket assertions are more your thing. But mine are better because they rhyme. :sarcasm:

Why make a deadline deal now? The point of a deadline deal is to see what good player busts loose, get him for less cap implications, and fill holes that pop up. So we trade Gunnerson and sign a forward. Ok, then Sanford, Kyrou, Barbashev and Thomas all make a case for being NHL ready, while Dunn regresses and Boumeester gets hurt. We have a **** ton of forwards and no D. Better to wait and see how our roster looks than make a move because some crappy ass hockey player was born in StL and is big.

Rattie was on a higher ppg pace than Maroon playing with McDavid. Case closed on your argument that you have to be good to suceed with him.
Again with the small sample sizes that Rattie specializes in. Thought we all woulda learned that by now that he might not be the greatest example.

Maroon has produced in Anaheim and New Jersey as well... but yeah, "stats" say otherwise. I'm sure you could throw Ryan Reaves with McDavid and he'd score over 20 goals right? Well no, he wouldn't, because he isn't good. And he would never get that opportunity because only players with some hint of skill would, but let's not let that cloud our reality.

I also don't care that Maroon was born here. It helps though if he will be willing to take less money from us, that's the only positive to it. But on the 4th line, he would be a very good addition. Then Thorburn would probably never play, and you've replaced his role with someone who is a lot better.

Nobody is saying that we can't still acquire somebody else at the deadline. It just makes our need to do so a lot less likely. That's the point.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Why make a deadline deal now? The point of a deadline deal is to see what good player busts loose, get him for less cap implications, and fill holes that pop up. So we trade Gunnerson and sign a forward. Ok, then Sanford, Kyrou, Barbashev and Thomas all make a case for being NHL ready, while Dunn regresses and Boumeester gets hurt. We have a **** ton of forwards and no D. Better to wait and see how our roster looks than make a move because some crappy ass hockey player was born in StL and is big.

You forgot Mikkola and Walman. We can slide Bortuzzo off-side and Schmsltz play RD. We've plenty dmens.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Are you allowed to run 4 scoring lines?

Also, perhaps Armstrong has always been this good - maybe he just listens to his coach intently, and Hitch has a fascination with bad players, and a dislike for Oshie, etc. What if Armstrong has always been willing to go out and make these kinds of moves, but Hitchcock was the one keeping us from this kind of talent?

And then I remember the Panarin story, and this might be the case.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing to add a forward who could throw some hits out there. Assuming that player came relatively cheap.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
If the plan is to run 4 scoring lines, then sure, add Maroon. He'd also be a great net front guy for a PP centered on Parayko's shot if you can convince him to unleash it every opportunity.

Reactions: shmotz

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
We need a net front guy, so I wouldn't be against it.

Edit: Post above nailed it.

Maroon-Barbashev-Soshnikov as your 4th line?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Again with the small sample sizes that Rattie specializes in. Thought we all woulda learned that by now that he might not be the greatest example.

Maroon has produced in Anaheim and New Jersey as well... but yeah, "stats" say otherwise. I'm sure you could throw Ryan Reaves with McDavid and he'd score over 20 goals right? Well no, he wouldn't, because he isn't good. And he would never get that opportunity because only players with some hint of skill would, but let's not let that cloud our reality.

I also don't care that Maroon was born here. It helps though if he will be willing to take less money from us, that's the only positive to it. But on the 4th line, he would be a very good addition. Then Thorburn would probably never play, and you've replaced his role with someone who is a lot better.

Nobody is saying that we can't still acquire somebody else at the deadline. It just makes our need to do so a lot less likely. That's the point.

Rattie is a small sample size, but Maroon in Jersey isn't? Maroon played with Getlaf and Perry as his most common line mate for his good years in Anaheim. When he didn't play as much with Getzlaf for whatever reason his last year there, he had 13 points in 56 games. Then he gets traded and he plays mostly with McDavid and his point rebound. He needs good players to be succesful. He is an alright offensive complimentary player but he can't drive anything and is poor on defense. With good players he is serviceable, but he won't get that on our 4th line and isn't good enough to drop anyone else down to make room with our better players.

Reactions: DoubleK81

McSwaingles28

Jul 6, 2018
St. Louis
I don’t know if it makes sense to keep a guy like Gunnarson if you can sign a Pat Maroon. We need a big man. I don’t see him as just a fourth line player. Maybe at times he would be there but the man had 17 goals and 43 points last season and 42 points the season before with a whooping 27 goals. The man can score plus he’s gotta bit of a mean streak with a 6’3” 230 lbs frame. ( Patrick Maroon - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps ) The guy can probably play wherever you need him to be. Our powerplay didn’t do much for us last year. Maybe when the #2 PP unit needs adjustment you can place him in a net front presence role, scooping up some garbage. To my point of what you can do with Gunnarson, hey maybe you keep him for depth on the left side and take a pass on Maroon because of term and $$ amount. But with Dunn playing so well, I see for him a definite potential of being a top 6 D to maybe even a top 4 D. Why keep Gunnarson besides being added depth? At a $2.9 million cap hit for a top 6 D that might not play much. Weighing the potential signing of a good forward like Maroon to a $2 million+ contract and an existing $2.9 million contract in a depth D man. I like Maroon’s only if we can move a Gunnarson. You guys tell me...

WiscoBlues

Feb 1, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Assuming everyone is healthy, I can see something like:

Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Fabbri-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Steen-Bozak-Thomas
Maroon-Barbashev-Soshnikov/Jaskin
Soshnikov/Jaskin, whoever

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Schmaltz/Bortuzzo
Schmaltz/Bortuzzo

Allen
Johnson/Husso

That is insane depth.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I love the depth on the roster but the big question for me is what kind of chemistry will Tarasenko and ROR have? Without seeing them ever play together my first guess is ROR will benefit more from Tarasenko than vice versa.

Tarasenko for the most part creates his own offense with the puck. He’s not a Hull type that benefits from being in the soft areas and having a dynamic center dishing him the puck. Pavelski is a player more like Hull in turning the soft areas into points. Hull could certainly produce points with the puck. His offensive threat while not controlling the play is really what sets him apart from a Tarasenko.

This is why I think ROR could really be the one that sees the biggest benefit. Tarasenko is going to get his points from generating his own offense a lot of the time. ROR is the one with the good one timer. I can envision Tarasenko being more of a setup guy for ROR than what a lot of people assume or hope will be the opposite.

All this speculation is of course based on the main two lines having ROR + Tarasenko on one and Schwartz + Schenn on the other.

It’ll be fun to see how everything shakes out.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I think Tarasenko will benefit most from having other linemates that are also threats to score. He gets that with ROR and Fabbri.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I think Tarasenko will benefit most from having other linemates that are also threats to score. He gets that with ROR and Fabbri.

Over the last 4 years Tarasenko has averaged 72 points.

ROR has averaged 57 points over the last 4 years.

I think it’s a safer bet that ROR goes over that 4 year average than Tarasenko.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I’m not sure this idea has been mentioned yet, but with the Blues reportedly attempting to sign Maroon, does anyone else think that DA may be attempting to employ a Vegas-style strategy for the lines next year?

Vegas rolled 4 lines that overwhelmed other teams (not necessarily through talent though - what impressed me was the tenacity, and IMO that was more a function of coaching than the GM); but every line seemingly had threats to score on it. Perhaps DA has Vegas in mind this year.

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
I don’t know if it makes sense to keep a guy like Gunnarson if you can sign a Pat Maroon. We need a big man. I don’t see him as just a fourth line player. Maybe at times he would be there but the man had 17 goals and 43 points last season and 42 points the season before with a whooping 27 goals. The man can score plus he’s gotta bit of a mean streak with a 6’3” 230 lbs frame. ( Patrick Maroon - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps ) The guy can probably play wherever you need him to be. Our powerplay didn’t do much for us last year. Maybe when the #2 PP unit needs adjustment you can place him in a net front presence role, scooping up some garbage. To my point of what you can do with Gunnarson, hey maybe you keep him for depth on the left side and take a pass on Maroon because of term and $$ amount. But with Dunn playing so well, I see for him a definite potential of being a top 6 D to maybe even a top 4 D. Why keep Gunnarson besides being added depth? At a $2.9 million cap hit for a top 6 D that might not play much. Weighing the potential signing of a good forward like Maroon to a $2 million+ contract and an existing $2.9 million contract in a depth D man. I like Maroon’s only if we can move a Gunnarson. You guys tell me...
Agreed. Either Gunnarson or Bouwmeester need to go.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS