Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
IMO when it comes to Maroon I think he really wants to play in STL.. If Army can make a move to maybe push out someone then I think he signs, and I would not be surprised if its not with a hometown discount... he would help the team in the bottom 6 and if he had to play in the top for a short time it would not hurt.. the question is who leaves and can he beat out who we have if no one goes...
If he wants to come in Blues so he'll take discount. 1mill.$ max

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
The idea would be that one of our two expensive defensemen would go to LTIR then when we go to bring them off because they’re healthy we make a deal to trade them

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
After JR's Maroon tweet, I did a little roster roulette and without another move, there doesn't seem to be a way to fit Maroon on the roster at a reasonable number without moving Gunnarsson. That (to me) seems to be the hold up. We could bury Gunnar in San Antonio, but it wouldn't leave enough money for what Maroon can be expected to sign for. Here is what I came up with as sort of a solution / prediction for a roster and lineup that includes Maroon. Fair warning, it assumes Kyrou makes the team out of camp and that we run a "kid line" as our 4th line to start the year:

Maroon-90-91
17-10-49
20-21-57
15-36-33 (23 and 86 extras)

6-27
29-55
19-43 (41 extra)

34-31

I have Maroon at $2.5M (on a 3 year deal), Jaskin at $1.15M (on a 2 year deal), Edmundson at $3.75M (on a 4 year deal) and Schmaltz at $850K on a 1 year deal. I have Sundqvist and Thorburn being sent to S.A, and Gunnarsson traded for a conditional pick.

The cap on this roster is as follows:

Forwards - $47,994,000
Defense - $23,873,000
Goalies - $6,100,000
total - $77,967,000 ($1,533,000 cap space)

Reactions: Chief Steele

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
After JR's Maroon tweet, I did a little roster roulette and without another move, there doesn't seem to be a way to fit Maroon on the roster at a reasonable number without moving Gunnarsson. That (to me) seems to be the hold up. We could bury Gunnar in San Antonio, but it wouldn't leave enough money for what Maroon can be expected to sign for. Here is what I came up with as sort of a solution / prediction for a roster and lineup that includes Maroon. Fair warning, it assumes Kyrou makes the team out of camp and that we run a "kid line" as our 4th line to start the year:

Maroon-90-91
17-10-49
20-21-57
15-36-33 (23 and 86 extras)

6-27
29-55
19-43 (41 extra)

34-31

I have Maroon at $2.5M (on a 3 year deal), Jaskin at $1.15M (on a 2 year deal), Edmundson at $3.75M (on a 4 year deal) and Schmaltz at $850K on a 1 year deal. I have Sundqvist and Thorburn being sent to S.A, and Gunnarsson traded for a conditional pick.

The cap on this roster is as follows:

Forwards - $47,994,000
Defense - $23,873,000
Goalies - $6,100,000
total - $77,967,000 ($1,533,000 cap space)
Wish you’d use the players last names instead of numbers it’s an extra step in thinking especially when half our roster is different now.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The only way that Maroon makes sense is if we start Fabbri on the 4th line with Barbashev and Soshnikov/Jaskin. That would be a “new look” 4th line for us that would function a lot differently than 4th lines for us in the past. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it would be less than ideal to play that group less than 10 minutes a night. It would also block guys like Sanford, Blais, Kostin, and Kyrou for the foreseeable future, barring a trade and/or expansion draft.

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Maroon-O’Reilly-Thomas
Steen-Bozak-Perron
Fabbri-Barbashev-Soshnikov
Jaskin/Sundqvist/Thorburn

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Idk, I rather give player like Jaskin that icetime at 4th line then Maroon. He's more physical then Maroon. Maroon even doesn't play PK at all. Not qualify in my eyes our need.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'm not sure where all of this talk about putting Bouwmeester or Gunnarsson on IR is coming from. If they're ready to go for camp, there would be a lot of scrutiny from the league about placing one of these guys on IR, and we would still have to move some roster pieces around to be cap compliant before we did. There is a non-zero chance this happens, but I don't think it is something we should expect Army to be planning to do at this point given his comments about everyone being ready in time for camp. He just needs to find someone who will take Gunnarsson for a conditional pick, or who will take him and a 6th for a 7th. It's not a move that is immediately necessary in the context of the roster as it sits now, but it certainly will be necessary based on the number of bodies once camp breaks. I can't see us going into the season with 8 D on the roster, Maroon or no Maroon.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What is worth of Matt Stajan? Could he available for Blues and would he take discount to come in Blues=?

Lurkin Stajan's stats at PK icetime/GP 1:32 and his faceoff % 51.5%, I like would love to take him in to team cheap price 1mill.$

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
LTIR exemption isn’t cumulative. So the minute they come off IR, their cap hit is back on the books. So unless they are out all season its not really an option.
Well I was aware of that, I was more so interested in how the cap would work assuming we put them on LTIR. In that case, you would expect Armstrong to make a move and trade one of those guys to make the cap work.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I'm not sure where all of this talk about putting Bouwmeester or Gunnarsson on IR is coming from. If they're ready to go for camp, there would be a lot of scrutiny from the league about placing one of these guys on IR, and we would still have to move some roster pieces around to be cap compliant before we did. There is a non-zero chance this happens, but I don't think it is something we should expect Army to be planning to do at this point given his comments about everyone being ready in time for camp. He just needs to find someone who will take Gunnarsson for a conditional pick, or who will take him and a 6th for a 7th. It's not a move that is immediately necessary in the context of the roster as it sits now, but it certainly will be necessary based on the number of bodies once camp breaks. I can't see us going into the season with 8 D on the roster, Maroon or no Maroon.
Obviously we aren’t putting the player on IR that is healthy. If they are not ready then they are an option to go on IR until they are healthy and can be moved. If they are healthy for camp then ya trade em for a pick.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Wish you’d use the players last names instead of numbers it’s an extra step in thinking especially when half our roster is different now.

Thank you for bringing this up. With all the new players each year plus the unfortunate number of injury call-ups, it's just more than my feeble brain can handle!

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
How are people saying Maroon doesn’t make us better? On the 4th-line over Soshnikov or Jaskin? Yes he would clearly be better than them.

I’d be fine with that signing.
He would be a better fourth liner but he'd be too expensive, we can't fit him in with the cap, and right now we don't need him. If someone does get hurt we have Kyrou to call up.

Basically this deal doesn't make sense to me.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If we can get Maroon on a deal that makes sense, then you do it.

Do we need him? No. That should be reflected in the offer.

Yes, it could take away some time from a prospect... and? If Kyrou come into camp and looks like he’ll be a 45-50 point player then he’ll get a look and we’ll roll 4 lines if we have to. Otherwise Kyrou will need to wait for his chance.

We don’t want to be dealing more picks, so getting depth now is better than doing it at the deadline.

Reactions: OSA and BlueDream

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
If we can get Maroon on a deal that makes sense, then you do it.

Do we need him? No. That should be reflected in the offer.

Yes, it could take away some time from a prospect... and? If Kyrou come into camp and looks like he’ll be a 45-50 point player then he’ll get a look and we’ll roll 4 lines if we have to. Otherwise Kyrou will need to wait for his chance.

We don’t want to be dealing more picks, so getting depth now is better than doing it at the deadline.
Absolutely, but I don’t think his AAV is going to start with a 2.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
If he is willing to sign for cheap and short, sure, why not. If Kyrou shows he is NHL ready and Maroon can play on the LW, that suddenly makes our 12th forward Barbashev if we are healthy and we can legitimately run 4 lines with no real checking line.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Absolutely, but I don’t think his AAV is going to start with a 2.
If it is above $3m then I’d be surprised if we were interested. Right now it looks like he is waiting for something, I don’t believe that he never got an offer he found acceptable.

If he is waiting for us then our cap space is going to be limited. Gunnarsson is the obvious player to move out, so it’s not going to open up enough for more than ~$3m for him.

Schwartz - Schenn - Kyrou
Fabbri - O’Reilly - Tarasenko
Steen - Thomas - Perron
Maroon - Bozak - Jaškin/Soshnikov

I’d take that.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Given the roster moves we've made, I'm on board with Maroon, especially if he's waiting to sign here.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
If it is above $3m then I’d be surprised if we were interested. Right now it looks like he is waiting for something, I don’t believe that he never got an offer he found acceptable.

If he is waiting for us then our cap space is going to be limited. Gunnarsson is the obvious player to move out, so it’s not going to open up enough for more than ~$3m for him.

Steen - Thomas - Perron

I’d take that.
That could be a damn good 4th line. I’ll hold my judgment until the term and cap come out, I suppose, but my expectations are low.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI

Steen - Thomas - Perron

I’d take that.
4 scoring lines just nasty

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I don’t see Bozak playing 4th line minutes making 5 million per season. Bozak changed his number to 21 out of respect for Backes according to an article. That doesn’t make any sense to me but ok. (Maybe he’s really trolling Berglund haha)

It’s so impossible to setup the lines.

I’m still expecting Fabbri on the 4th line to start the season. I won’t be surprised if Thomas starts out centering the 4th line.

If they sign Maroon:

Steen ROR Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Kyrou
Maroon Bozak Perron
Fabbri Thomas (Barbashev/ Jaskin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad